audiophile computer speakers

M-Audio AV40 here.

It is very much a studio monitor (albeit entry level) and will certainly not make bad music sound better! I do get what I think is compression fatigue on sources like BBC internet speech/drama, which is very compressed. They are unforgiving, but I think normally, rather than aggressive, compressed music will sound fine. I'm sure I listen to stuff on the net that I don't even realize is compressed!

if u can get your hands on altec lansing mx5021.. they are great vfm and quite musical

I could 2nd that.
I use it with a M Audio Delta Card on my computer for Foobar playback & am reasonable satisfied with its performance.
Price to performance it is a 5 star product.
Pure performance from computer desk top speakers it is a 3.5 star.
If one has the budget, I would recommend a Genelec Speaker. I have liked them for computer use...

Hi, I checked the M-Audio from your postion and I got really intrested in it and am planning to buy it; I usually listen to mp3 typically 320 Kbps, and not flacs; Do you think if I get the M-Audio AV40 it will be a problem. Thanks

Hi, I recently replaced broken Dell Altec Lansing 5.1 ADA995 speakers with klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. The sound quality for mp3's was excellent with the Dell speakers, however I was very unsatisfied with the Klipsch promedia.

Can anyone suggest high quality audiophile computer speakers in the $200 - $500 price range?

I have read about Audioengine 5, Axiom Audiobyte v3 Computer Speakers, audioengine A2, and AVI ADM9. I'm not sure how high quality speakers will sound with mp3 since they reproduce sound accurately. Would these speakers sound alright with mp3? If not, any suggestions?

thanks
Hi,
I somehow feel that the search is going on in wrong direction. If you dont like mp3
on Klipsch,you dont need new system. You have discerning ears & what you need is music in loseless format. I would rather spend the budget in buying audio CDs & ripping them into wav or FLAC. I personally use wav. I listen to some mp3 music as well at 192 kbps. I am happy with the results when i play it through foobar.

Why are you concentrating on computer speakers only?Any component system can be connected to comp. I have connected my netbook to Marantz amp. In fact at present I am using the netbook as music source(situation will change soon) &nothing else.

If the source itself is faulty,you wont get the right sound no matter what you use. All the softwares claiming to improve quality of mp3 to almost cd like sound usually enhance the upper and lower frequ. &create a feel of full sound. That is good enough for many. You can try that as well. After all music is all about feeling good.

Last edited:
Have you listened Bose Companion 20 and Music Monitor. Even these speakers sounds good irrespective of the source quality.

I am interested in the Genelec since it accepts RCA inputs. This is for my comp or TV viewing (yet to decide which). Can it be placed right next to a CRT monitor without muddying the SQ? Is it magnetically shielded? Their data sheet does not mention it.

Where can I get it in India and whats the price?

Incidentally anyone know the price for for Actimate Mini in India?

Thanks

--G0bble

Last edited:
I always thought the shielding was to protect the monitor from the speaker magnets, rather than the speaker from the CRT monitor magnetism ... and. I'd say there is a very good chance that, unless they are specified as shielded, they will cause picture distortion if they are "right by" your CRT.

@rkline123, you may try with Focal XS, B&W MM1, I've not personally heard them, but heard lots of good reviews.

I am interested in the Genelec since it accepts RCA inputs. This is for my comp or TV viewing (yet to decide which). Can it be placed right next to a CRT monitor without muddying the SQ? Is it magnetically shielded? Their data sheet does not mention it.

Where can I get it in India and whats the price?

Incidentally anyone know the price for for Actimate Mini in India?

Thanks

--G0bble

I auditioned the Genelac starter model at Sound factor pune and they were highly impressive. They are availbe thru autho dealers in India.
Pandam Pro Audio <[email protected]>

Regarding actimate, contact :
INDIA
Alliance Four
[email protected]
Alliance Four Hi End Audio

I myself got MM1 just for their small form factor.

regards

Last edited:
Thanks Spidey. I saw that the Amazon price was an Amazing $650+!! Suddenly I remembered my penchant for DIY ... :eek:hyeah: ;)

I shall give DIY a try for a vintage TV sound with an ultra budget valve amp.

--G0bble

@ Thread op please go ahead eyes closed with Bowers and Wilkins MM-1.Owned these speakers and know its poweress.

Its got it own DSP and audio DAC so you are not dependent on soundcard.Hell even my Asus Xonar Sounded dull in compared to its onboard dac.Never used xonars with these speakers.(They take sound via usb from pc)

And when some sites and review suggested that even audioengine A5 sounds muddy compared to this i got this to compare with my friends audiengines.Both of us couldn't agree more.

Yes they beat audioengine in sound quality almost the point that AE sound muddy in front of MM-1.

Only issue with this is they are meant to be heard in the same room.Please dont expect them to deliver quality sound to the next room.But for what they deliver ,its audio nirvana.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back