Audiophile PC Speakers...

moserw

I am helping a friend build/assemble a PC mainly for playing music. Looking for good audiophile grade PC speakers (his definition) for the same. The only caveat/main requirement here is powered speakers since not planning on an amplifier. A DAC might come in later, but that's not decided upon yet. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

BTW the requirement is for 2.0 or 2.1 and not 5.1...

Meaningless without a budget. I have lots of ideas, but they can cost a lot of cash, so please help with the expected prices.

Thanks cranky,

Anything up to 1.5 to 2 lacs is fine. Only requirement preferably powered speakers in 2.0 or 2.1.

cranky,
I have seen that these monitors typically have individual volume control and hence needing a seperate pre amp. Is that the case?

I second the dynaudio monitors. Apart from the price, i have read great things about them .....

Also take a look at Active (Studio) Monitors from Samson. I have heard them a few times driven by a laptop, and they sounded excellent.

The sound created by Samson Monitors were deep and clear. The soundstage was also very good. In addition, if needed, Samson also make supporting subwoofers.

Take a look at Samson Audio - Rubicon R5a

Samson is distributed in India by Pro Musicals from Chennai. If you need any help there, I can help you. Sudhin of Pro Musicals was saying the Samson monitors cost between 30,000 to 50,000 depending upon amplifier power, driver size, and other factors.

Cheers

Cranky has more or less listed all options. The only addition I'd do to that list is Genelec 1032A or a similar model. There are also options from Blue Sky Audio (Sat 12 or similar) and the KRK Expose series.

I've personally heard the Genelec and its really really nice for monitoring. However none of these are easy listening speakers. They are highly resolving - Garbage in Garbage out :).

ROC raised a very important point. Since these are true high-end monitors, they will be very faithful to the source and material. If the bulk of the playing is going to be MP3 through an onboard soundcard, look elsewhere - Audioengine 5 is a decent enough bet.

Nope, the content is all going to be lossless like FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, etc. Also, ALAC too since the 2nd system is a MacBook.

Coming to the soundcards, was thinking of ASUS Xonar or M-Audio, but now have started reading up on LynxTwo, having never used it before, and will make a decision on that.

Secondly, they're not in the 30-50K range, they're in the 10K-40K range, at least they were at those prices until Bajaao.com took down the range. Maybe Sudhin is having you on? ;)

Sudhin is an extremely honest and fine gentleman. I have been dealing with him for years, and I have yet to find a retailer/dealer with his attitude. He works with some of finest musicians in South India.

I could be completely wrong about the prices, and this should not reflect upon Sudhin.

Cheers

Nope, the content is all going to be lossless like FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, etc. Also, ALAC too since the 2nd system is a MacBook.

Coming to the soundcards, was thinking of ASUS Xonar or M-Audio, but now have started reading up on LynxTwo, having never used it before, and will make a decision on that.

I suspect by the time you finish your setup, you will end up spending more than just the cost of speakers. Axiom comp. speakers below is not necessarily what you asked for but it will be stellar as I have heard this in play and is extremely good if you like a forward signature. These come with an amp for 400 Canadian. These will be delivered to your door and if you don't like it for some reason, all you lose is one way shipping. Not bad to check these out.

Audiobyte Computer Speakers - AxiomAudio

I suggest go with the sub option if you decide to go this route.

and how much money is one way shipping? will they be shipped directly from Canada?

I suspect by the time you finish your setup, you will end up spending more than just the cost of speakers. Axiom comp. speakers below is not necessarily what you asked for but it will be stellar as I have heard this in play and is extremely good if you like a forward signature. These come with an amp for 400 Canadian. These will be delivered to your door and if you don't like it for some reason, all you lose is one way shipping. Not bad to check these out.

Audiobyte Computer Speakers - AxiomAudio

I suggest go with the sub option if you decide to go this route.

and how much money is one way shipping? will they be shipped directly from Canada?

Yup directly shipped from Canada. Also made in Canada. Re: return shipping, it really depends on your mode of shipment. Also remember they returned item must reach Axiom within 30 days of receipt. So courier is usually the better bet esp. with customs in Canada.

marsilians,

Have you heard Audioengine A5 and if so how would you compare them to the Axiom Audio Audiobyte Computer Speakers?

BTW I was thinking of going for Dynaudio MC-15 or Genelec HT 208 though the Genelec are in an altogether different league (as per reviews) and costing a lot more.

If anyone has heard Dynaudio MC-15 and any view/reviews/pointers on them would be much appreciated.

marsilians,

Have you heard Audioengine A5 and if so how would you compare them to the Axiom Audio Audiobyte Computer Speakers?

BTW I was thinking of going for Dynaudio MC-15 or Genelec HT 208 though the Genelec are in an altogether different league (as per reviews) and costing a lot more.

If anyone has heard Dynaudio MC-15 and any view/reviews/pointers on them would be much appreciated.

I have not heard the A5 for extended periods only for a short bit to form any opinions. Usually I tend to spend anywhere from 30 mins to 1.5 hrs to audition and make notes on the equipment I listen to.

In my view the Dynaudio and Genelec are as much comparable for sound repro as their pricing.

Re: Dynaudio - This is actually their re-release of pro-audio speaker monitor line. I dont remember the exact model though. They are very very good quality speakers and tend to outperform many at their pricepoint like the B&Ws. They are slightly forward, making for hours of listening without fatigue.

The Genelec's are very very accurate speakers. So people have stronger opinions about these than the Dynaudio. I would buy these in a juffy if I was looking for one. The Dyn woudl be a close second though they are a step behind in terms of the detail. This is not at all obvious but only on comparison.

If you are looking for a real repro of your sources, then you can't beat Dynaudio or Genelecs. The Axioms are pretty forward compared to these and fall into the 3rd place but again its at a very different price point.

I personally listen to a vast genre of music and like the axioms (as stand alone) though I use their floorstanders mainly for HT purposes at home to be very honest with you. My wife loves the looks of these (I have high gloss cherry finish) and prefers music through them so it gets some airtime from her.

But as ROC and Cranky state, all these brands do true justice - so crappy input will lead to more than shitty output esp. if you are near field. So I strongly suggest extended auditions, more than your HT or music sessions as otherwise you will be cursing anyone of these in no time.

If one intends to play mp3 or other lossy formats then they better stick to logitechs or creative labs.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back