Audition - B&W 684, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6, MA RS8

Here you go.. From left,

Thiel 1.6, Monitor Audio GS60, MA GS20, MA RX8. RX5s are on the front.

Rack.. Top to bottom,

Musical Fidelity A1008 amp, MF A5.5 amp, MF A1008's power controller and M! DAC (Black one).

Floor..

NAD 325, NAD 2400, Bryston B60 & Bryston 4BSST power amp, Musichall CDP. Left most besides the thiels is the MF A1008 CDP (has solidstate and tube outputs)

Thats all folks. :D

@anm, Just remembered your question on room size..
I think this audition room (above photo) should be like 20*35 or something.
we sat 12 to 14 feet for the demo.

Divakar,sachin,sajjad what do you think? Any idea? Length was more like 40??

Last edited:
Hi Thanks.

So what would be a good amp/power to drive FS. How much do these cost? My knowledge beyond the Marantz/Yamaha's/ Rotels of the world is limited.

@anm, Just remembered your question on room size..
I think this audition room (above photo) should be like 20*35 or something.
we sat 12 to 14 feet for the demo.

Divakar,sachin,sajjad what do you think? Any idea? Length was more like 40??

this sounds great! close to my room size and seating position.
Did you try a movie on thiels ;)

It was quite an extensive test and for certain kinds of music the MA RX8 indeed shone. But for the kinds of music I listen to, Indian and Western classical, Jazz, the Thiel 1.6 provided greater definition of the soundstage, more seperation or "air" between the instruments, and was more neutral.

Review from http://thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/PDF_files/PDF_reviews/CS1_6R_pdf/cs1_6R_SS.pdf

I would have to say the first three things I noticed about the
CS1.6es were resolution, resolution, and resolution. These
things simply did not miss a trick. If there was a sound to be
reproduced, it was reproduced quickly and cleanly (emphasize
cleanly) along with everything around it. The speakers made
me feel that if I had five-way binding posts connected directly
to my brain I wouldnt have heard anything more than I did
through these Thiel speakers.
The second thing that was readily apparent was that there
was no lack of soundstaging ability here. Instead of perceiving
a soundstage that has a well-defined front, middle, and back
as I find with most speakers, with the Thiels there are a
seemingly infinite number of gradations within each of t h e s e
segments that allow sounds to be placed very precisely. I think
it is the combination of the extraordinary resolution and
soundstaging ability that lies at the heart of what sets t h e
CS1.6es apart from just about any speaker Ive heard and
may have been a big part of what struck me so profoundly
when I originally heard the CS1.5s.

It was quite an extensive test and for certain kinds of music the MA RX8 indeed shone. But for the kinds of music I listen to, Indian and Western classical, Jazz, the Thiel 1.6 provided greater definition of the soundstage, more seperation or "air" between the instruments, and was more neutral.

Hey Divakar,
I think you are confusing GS20 with Rx8. :D

Cha_indian is talking about Rx8 and not GS20.
Rx8 did not shine or even come closer to the thiels (or GS20/GS10) anytime.

Hi guys,

I just joined this forum, because I have a BIG problem :).
I own a home theater system consisting of Harman Kardon AVR330 7.1 receiver (7 x 55Watts), Harman Kardon DVD22, HTPC Asrock ION 100HT with XBMC and I had DALI Concept speakers (2 x Concept 6, 2 x Concept 1, 1 x Concept Center and Concept SUB). I just sold all of the speakers except the SUB (I love the SUB and it stay's with me :)) due to renovation,....there will be no room for floorstanders, so I am looking for some good surround speakers with front bookshelfs instead of floorstanders.

I was considering many speakers (Dali, B&W, Monitor Audio, KEF,...), but I finally ended up with just 2 contestants,....for me it was DALI IKON vs B&W CM series. I listened to both of them many times and I think that both are terrific speakers, good bass, very detailed and crisp highs,....to cut the story short, they both sound great :).

But after listening them so many times, I came to conclusion, that DALI Ikon's really are a little bit on the bright side and too straight forward and after listening them for a long time I do get some listening fatigue and tend to lover the volume as time passes. With the B&W CM it's the more I listen, the more I like it and after a while I start to turn up the volume :). The problem is, that in my area there is no dealer that offers both of the brands, so I listened to the speaker in different store's, rooms, amplifiers (Ikon's on Yamaha, B&W's on Rotel), cables,....

In the end under the mentioned conditions I really like the B&W more and was determined to buy them, but at the last minute I found a great offer on the DALI Ikon's that is hard to turn my back on.

I can get:
B&W (2 x CM5, 2 x CM1 and CMC2) for aprox 2.000
B&W (4 x CM1 and CMC) for aprox 1.500
DALI Ikon (2 x Ikon2, 2 x Ikon On Wall and Ikon Vocal2) for aprox 1.000

As I don't have 2.000 it's actually B&W (4 x CM1 and CMC) for 1.500 vs DALI Ikon (2 x Ikon2, 2 x Ikon On Wall and Ikon Vocal2) for 1.000 .

Please tell me your opinions, is B&W really worth paying 50% more for a smaller system? I do like the sound better, but in the end there is always a money issue, isn't it :).
Maybe I just need confirmation to follow my heart and go ahead with the B&W,....or maybe listen to the brain that is telling me to go with the Dali's.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back