Audition - B&W 684, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6, MA RS8

It was great to be able to switch from one speaker set to another instantaneously, made comparisons that much easier. But it was difficult choice between the GS20 and the Thiel's 1.6, because they shone with different kinds of music. Having said, I too feel that the Thiel's have a more expanded soundstage and the vocals really shine through. My only complaint with the Thiel 1.6 is that bass rolls off by 40hz, it may need a subwoofer friend! For my kind of music - Indian and western classical, Jazz - the Thiels are more suited. For R&R, heavy metal and electronic music, Thiels are too laid-back. GS20 is more suited for the latter kinds of music.

+10000 for the M1 DAC, it will be a revelation for those of you who haven't tried it. Ruppee for ruppee, I would bet it's the most bang for the buck upgrade.

+10000 for the M1 DAC, it will be a revelation for those of you who haven't tried it. Ruppee for ruppee, I would bet it's the most bang for the buck upgrade.

How much is the Musical Fidelity M1 Dac? HAve you listened to any other Dac's?

MRP is around 39k but can be retailed for 32k. I was there at the audition playing around with diff speakers and amps. M1 Dac was impressive from the first second. We have not auditioned any other but i tested CA before, M1 is a winner by large margin.

Hey helium flight, I have heard various internal and external DACs and below is my ordering.

MF M1 >> Musichall CDP > CA DAC Magic > Marantz 7004 CDP > ESI Julia@ (sound card) > (non gatorized) Beresford caimen.

It was the the best 30k in the chain today. Connected to a sony BDP's coaxial out, it matched the A1008 CDP's solid state output.

Indian and western classical, Jazz - the Thiels are more suited. For R&R, heavy metal and electronic music, Thiels are too laid-back. GS20 is more suited for the latter kinds of music.

Spot on.
Also, once after you left, the thiel grew over and felt better with all songs played.

GS20 shines for attention grabing, casual listening, mixed instruments, live recordings and a bit of HT use. Very controlled HF and extended bass.

Thiel 1.6 sounds dry in the begenning but is great for extended/critical listening. Shines in producing that much warmth in the human voice both male and female and midrange in general. Bass extenstion is lesser but is never boomy. HF can hurt at times.

Thiel 2.4 should be devine. :eek:hyeah:

Hey helium flight, I have heard various internal and external DACs and below is my ordering.

MF M1 >> Musichall CDP > CA DAC Magic > Marantz 7004 CDP > ESI Julia@ (sound card) > (non gatorized) Beresford caimen.

It was the the best 30k in the chain today. Connected to a sony BDP's coaxial out, it matched the A1008 CDP's solid state output.

M1 price is 30k? Amazon it shows 700+ dollars.

@kittu, regd NAD 2400.

The M1 matches with NAD 325 (used as pre) and NAD 2400 combo very well. Bass was higher but details were very good.
Comparatively the A5.5 amp had lesser bass (and thump) + bigger sound stage + better vocals. (ofcource their mrp was 1.7L) and overall airy.

The NAD 2400 drove all the speakers in the foto without a sweat and was very musical with the M1 DAC.

Comparatively, the Marantz 6004 only managed to drive the gold GS10 bookshelf. But it drove them beautifully.

can someone pls map the speaker and names in the pictures?

Here you go.. From left,

Thiel 1.6, Monitor Audio GS60, MA GS20, MA RX8. RX5s are on the front.

Rack.. Top to bottom,

Musical Fidelity A1008 amp, MF A5.5 amp, MF A1008's power controller and M! DAC (Black one).

Floor..

NAD 325, NAD 2400, Bryston B60 & Bryston 4BSST power amp, Musichall CDP. Left most besides the thiels is the MF A1008 CDP (has solidstate and tube outputs)

Thats all folks. :D

Last edited:
Umm..for the B60 and 4BSST, I think you meant Bryston, not beresford. :)

But that's a whole lot of some real lovely gear. Wish we had places like that in Kolkata...

Umm..for the B60 and 4BSST, I think you meant Bryston, not beresford. :)

But that's a whole lot of some real lovely gear. Wish we had places like that in Kolkata...

Oops. :D Changed. :D
Ya we wished that there were places like this in hyderabad too. Just two months back they opened. :)

Update on M1 DAC:

The video below of asynchronous USB model,
NEW! Musical Fidelity M1 DAC "A" for Asynchronous USB Input, Unboxing Video

shows manufactured date as Jul-2011. The model which we saw in the AP had exactly Jul-2011 as manf date.

So it is an asynchronous USB model. Ofcource checking the box will confirm. :)

@Sachin had the doubt.

Reviews of the new one (post Jul 2011 manufactured).

http://www.audiostream.com/content/musical-fidelity-m1-dac-new-one

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFM1A

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577149/new...c-a-for-asynchronous-usb-input-unboxing-video

Last edited:
Oops!!! I missed this thread due to extensive travelling for last 10 days... Blasto I am happy to welcome you for joining Thiel ( CS1.6 ) club.

Regards

@Blasto,

I agree with Srinisundar on Thiel. They are one hell of speakers and son of the guns. Many seem to ignore it due to its power-hungry nature, but if adequately powered, they should really rock.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back