Audition - B&W 684, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6, MA RS8

When you buy quality, You cry only once..

Has been my mantra for this weekend.

Iam sure that the sound&vision guy has huge offers on some of the yester-year speakers. :)
A visit will ensure. Thats how I ended up with the musichall and never repent. :D

A question like "Which speakers do you have for 50% discount" will do the trick. ;)

Small clarification:

Sound&Vision did not have anything to do with my current speaker purchase. It is purchased from Audio people. Jalal was a very helpful person providing extended home auditions and open to good negotiations.

A box packed, sealed GS20 piano black with 3 years warrenty for 5 digit price is unbelievable in indian context. But he did provide me one. For example, The current Rx8 (silver series) costs as much.

Sound & Vision has various kinds of speakers and is easy to pick one for the budget. Last I went saw some mordaunt short mezzos and high end missions. Sure he will have some offers. That was an advice to sachin. :)

Update: (Pasting the post I made in another thread to have continuity here..)

I did a A-B-C-D comparison between Monitor audio RX8 (highest in silver series), GS20, GS60 and Thiel CS1.6. It went on for 4 hours. Rx8 had to be removed from the equation in the first 5 minutes. No comparison. RX2 is full of bass and nothing else (demoed another day). It is lower in the food chain than Rx6 and Rx8.

Between GS20 and GS60, I dont think there is much of a difference to claim 1.5 times price. Can't make out the difference for any indian songs. Songs with excellent soundstage and scale sounded better in GS60. The soundstage better and overall was little bit better. Anyone could fail a blind test though.

The thiels sounded unexciting for the first half hour. They have lesser bass extension and HF extendion too and a very good midrange and are butter smooth. The more I heard the thiels though they sounded better with a wide range of songs. Very natural. After the second hour and into the third hour, I actually thought I liked the thiels better.

In short, the golds sound excited and luxurious in HF. Imaging is not as good as the thiels and they have higher bass extension. Sometimes throws out bass 'blobs' in comparison to thiel. HF is definetely better and well controlled to the extent they sounded sweet.

Thiels have lesser bass extension, super silky midrange, stronger and leaner highs and not a single song sounds bad in it. Only issue is very very good recordings do not sound as exciting as MAs in the thiels. karnatic songs sounded 'special' in the thiels though. Most voice centric songs also were very very good.

So still undecided between GS20 and CS1.6. Confirmed that the advance paid can be used for either of them when I decide. :D

Amp used was Musical Fidelity A5.5 and DAC was Musical fidelity M1 DAC.

Last edited:
Today's work :)

wp000127z.jpg

By s_sachin at 2012-03-31

wp000128r.jpg

wp000129h.jpg

wp000130.jpg

Blasto will update more .. yes the thiel's were the winners but also the M1 dac !
And hats off to the hospitality and pateince of audio people hyderabad .. had the most enjoyable 4 hours today/

Back