Audition - B&W 684, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6, MA RS8

wouldve loved to come but unfortunately couldnt make it. would be great to meet up with you all

Hi Hyderabad guys,

This sunday, few of us are planning to have a round of auditions in vector and monitor audio showrooms.

Jalal from music people has been kind enough to provide us with a seperate demo room if it is not peak time in evening. He is also wiling to send the speakers for home audition (but Iam not sure if I should accept without some degree of inclination towards his speakers)

Apart from vested interests of helping me pick up good speakers :D, I would be more benefitted n meeting you.

Currently S-sachin, sajjad, anzy, musicbee are in. If you are around, please drop in.

I'd get the CDP. If someone can bring in a 100w/ch + amp, that wuld help to do a cross-showroom reference in electronics. I dont think musical fidelity jells well with the monitor audios personally also.

Time :
Vectors - 11 to 12.30
Audio people - 1.30 to 3

Bring in your CDs.

@Kittu :

About the NAD 2400 THX.

These sound more like the NAD amp rather than the Musichall (!!) when connected to the pre out. Sound is smoothed out and Bass is boosted. The Bass boost kind of helped the MA speakers in a way but more auditioning is required to find out if they jel well. They have seperate left and right volume controls (!!). First time I see them in a NAD.

The rotels I earlier connected to the Music hall were true to the source. (Meaning it sounded more like Musichall than Rotel)
So power amps are not entirely 'transparent'. Definetely not the NADs.

Agree with the Rotel Transparency. I have tired the Rotel's PA with a Denon and the overal outcome was it sounded like a Denon with a bit more ""Oomph"" to it. " Prob because of more power

Tried the Rotel with the Arcam A70 as Preamp and the overall sound signature was Arcam

So atleast with Rotel PA's, they don't really color the sound. The Pre's are to be be blamed for that in this case

Which has basically made to go back to the drawing board and search for a Rotel Pre to get the Rotel Sound Signature

With the NAD however from your take on it. Its adding it own color along with the Preamp.

RX8 all the way. Better soundstage, lots of detail and the bass is something. Hardly any bass in the RX6 or B&W (thought it might do better with a powerful amp) in comparison with the RX8.

But if your room is small then RX6 might be better suited.

Have bought Rx6 a month back and did multiple auditions over last 6 months . Chose it over 684 due to better bass. Rx8 bass is probably better (auditioned mainly on rx8 as Mumbai representative did not have Rx6 for audition) but probably tonality is better in Rx6. Experience with Rx6 at home is good with music (till now) bass is good and very detailed as well.

A couple have the same idea... RX6 in a smaller room at home will have better bass. Waiting for it to be set up at anzy's home to do an audition before I decide myself.

RX8 was at 95K (15% opening discount from 1.12 lacs).

Have bought Rx6 a month back and did multiple auditions over last 6 months . Chose it over 684 due to better bass. Rx8 bass is probably better (auditioned mainly on rx8 as Mumbai representative did not have Rx6 for audition) but probably tonality is better in Rx6. Experience with Rx6 at home is good with music (till now) bass is good and very detailed as well.

In home audition, 684's bass overpowers other frequencies. Highs were not extended. In my room particularly, Rx8 bass was booming in a couple of songs. Looks more and more like Rx6 to me now though Rs8 is not entirely out of the equation. Rx8 is out though.

Regarding 684, It paired well with rotel for a wide gender of music. Coupling with NAD proved dreadful!! Even my jamos seemed better. The musichall amp could not drive them also. So if I am to get a B&W, I should get a pre power of rotel also. The Rs8 connected directly to music hall sounded detailed and overall better. That's when I gave up the idea of B&W.

FYI:

The synergy between the components could be related to the fact that
B&W, CLASSE, and ROTEL are owned by the same company. Also NAD and PSB are owned by the same parent company.

When I bought ARCAM products, Audioquest cables were recommended to pair with them. Later on I learned ARCAM marketed those cables in the UK. They were / are perfect for my ARCAM system. Some claim they have designed their products around AQ cables.

FYI:

The synergy between the components could be related to the fact that
B&W, CLASSE, and ROTEL are owned by the same company. Also NAD and PSB are owned by the same parent company.

When I bought ARCAM products, Audioquest cables were recommended to pair with them. Later on I learned ARCAM marketed those cables in the UK. They were / are perfect for my ARCAM system. Some claim they have designed their products around AQ cables.

Yes,
At B&W showroom in Singapore as well had the 802D / 805D paired to Classe Amps and the 600 and CM series were mated to Rotel's.
What you said makes sense.
To get the best out of the gear in terms of synergy its better to mate them with associated partners from the same Brand/subbrand stable.

Simple and straight forward question.

If I liked the MA Silver RS8 after extended audition, does that entitle me to pick up a MA Gold signature GS20 WITHOUT audition for the same electronics?

Simple and straight forward question.

If I liked the MA Silver RS8 after extended audition, does that entitle me to pick up a MA Gold signature GS20 WITHOUT audition for the same electronics?

The probability maybe more but not necessarily. But again take all reviews/experiences being shared with a pinch salt as its all heard by different ears.:rolleyes: It can only give you an indication whether the food is italian or chineese but is it really spicy? only you can decide by tasting it.:licklips:

see if you can get a home audition as well :)

Thats a no brainer if I have any plans of purchasing from audio people. But they quote 1.6L mrp with some 25% discount. I would not purchase it in these rates.

I came accross an mint used pair for <1L which approaches the price of RS8. Cannot have any kind of home audition.

Maybe an on-store audition is possible.

How did you find the vocals/mid range of MA Rx6. They were quite decent at the demo audition.

At home, some how I am finding vocals a bit weaker & other frequencies ( lows and highs) more prominent. Also sound stage is not as great. I guess its something to do with room accoustics. ( large L shaped room but Listening area is ~12 feet x 11 feet ).

Any suggestions ?

Yes. Had listened with same Amp ( Marantz SR6005). Highs and Lows are very good, but realising ( its been 2-3 weeks since I bought it) vocals are sounding weaker.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back