Audyssey - best Mic positions

Although taking measurements at all 8 location is recommended, from my experience, measuring 6 location is more than good enough.
My recommendation would be as follows:
1. At your main location, approximately where your head will be, at ear level and about 6 to 8 inches from sofa back rest.
2. Around 12-16 inch right side from first position, at same height as position 1 and again 6-8 inch from sofa back rest.
3. Same as position 2 but on left side.
4. Exactly In front of position 3 by 10-12 inches.
5. Exactly in front of position 2 by 10-12 inches.
6. Exactly in front of position 1 by 6 - 8 inches.

If you want to measure 2 more positions, my recommendation would be taking one reading above position 1 and 6 by 4-6 inches.

I would also recommend using a tripod to support the mic instead of rocket stand which came with AVR.

After many trial and error, I have settled down to measuring 6 position as above.
You may give it a try.

Also recommend downloading audyssey app and getting the calibration done through it (provided, it is supported on your AVR). It will give you more control and ability to fine tune. On the app, one thing which you can definitely try is making audyssey apply filters only upto 500hz.

Regards
Siju

Although taking measurements at all 8 location is recommended, from my experience, measuring 6 location is more than good enough.
1. At your main location, approximately where your head will be, at ear level and about 6 to 8 inches from sofa back rest.
2. Around 12-16 inch right side from first position, at same height as position 1 and again 6-8 inch from sofa back rest.

If you want to measure 2 more positions, my recommendation would be taking one reading above position 1 and 6 by 4-6 inches.

I would also recommend using a tripod to support the mic instead of rocket stand which came with AVR.

After many trial and error, I have settled down to measuring 6 position as above.
You may give it a try.

Also recommend downloading audyssey app and getting the calibration done through it (provided, it is supported on your AVR). It will give you more control and ability to fine tune. On the app, one thing which you can definitely try is making audyssey apply filters only upto 500hz.

Regards
Siju
Are there any recommend audio tracks that can be used for the Sub crawl?

You may give it a try.

Regards
Siju
Thanks, I will give these tips a try :)
Yes I am using a proper mic stand, yes I am using Audyssey MultEQ app

Are there any recommend audio tracks that can be used for the Sub crawl?
Pull the 30 seconds scene from Movie "Arrival" on Netflix, find the scene (around 15 minutes) in which there is a conversation in Helicopter. The whirling blades sound in that scene can give you a LOT of judgement about not only loudness of the sub/s but also detailing in the lower frequencies.

In my case...I only do 3 point calibration instead of the 7 points available. And additionally I place the mike at my main listening position for all these 3 calibrations ( wife and daughter don't give a Damn about the sound ). So I get selfish there :D

Additionally I have the sub next to my main listening position. Placed between the sofa, the back wall and a side table. Being in a corner the bass gets well augmented.

On top of this I use the audessey android app and limit the correction to only 700hz. This keeps the sound lively to my ears.

In my case...I only do 3 point calibration instead of the 7 points available. And additionally I place the mike at my main listening position for all these 3 calibrations ( wife and daughter don't give a Damn about the sound ). So I get selfish there :D

Additionally I have the sub next to my main listening position. Placed between the sofa, the back wall and a side table. Being in a corner the bass gets well augmented.

On top of this I use the audessey android app and limit the correction to only 700hz. This keeps the sound lively to my ears.
Haha, practically for me also my wife doesn't care at all about sound improvement. So I need to be selfish in next Audessey run to tightly focus on my seat.

I get good result placing mic on tripod and keeping it at setting position (height of mic at ear level).I do not shift mic position and run 3 position Audyssey as single position is not there with XT32.
I am happy with results.
Now thats completely new and unique advise :) , running 3 positions without moving Mic. I have a LOT to try

You may give it a try.

Regards
Siju
Followed these patterns today and what a difference it's made to my sound . Do much better . Thank you

You may give it a try.

Regards
Siju
Will try this. Do you increase the levels on center and sub later?

You may give it a try.

Regards
Siju
I tried this method of calibration and just love the surround and Atmos effects. Attention is drawn to the sound, and not the speaker producing it. Love it!!

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back