Audyssey vs Manual set up

More then boom it’s very muddy. With -12b sub gain nd the sub volume to almost minimum the sub blends well. Bass feels like coming from the speaker nd it’s smooth. At certain scenes it does feel like the sub is absent but I hate muddy nd distorted bass so arrived at this settings. I have kept Audyssey settings at reference, enabled dynamic EQ with dynamic compression to low.

My sub is also set to similar level. Note that a sub can produce much higher frequency than 80hz from which one can localize the source. It can lift your lower midrange and add weight to it, or make it muddy and destroy it. My Pioneer's mcacc cribs a lot if the sub volume is high. One of the critical feature of a "musical" sub is to produce frequency as high as 800hz. You can set your cut off at 80hz. But, there is a slope. Most AVR don't mention what is the slope used. Whether it is 6, 12 or 24. You define where the cut off "begins". The slope defines where the cut off "ends".

Coming back to the point, the low volume in sub indicates that the AVR likes to have sharper cut off so that the L,C,R takes full control of lower midrange. Some might feel that sharp and accurate. Some might feel that tinny and lacking weight in midbass.

More then boom it’s very muddy. With -12b sub gain nd the sub volume to almost minimum the sub blends well. Bass feels like coming from the speaker nd it’s smooth. At certain scenes it does feel like the sub is absent but I hate muddy nd distorted bass so arrived at this settings. I have kept Audyssey settings at reference, enabled dynamic EQ with dynamic compression to low.

The location is wrong for the sub. Try doing the sub crawl to find the right spot. All your symptoms point to wrong spot for sub.

May be u got used to the tower bass nd having a hard time adjusting to the subwoofer bass. The sub has to be calibrated in such a way that u feel the bass from speakers. I guess u have not yet calibrated the sub to blend with the towers or may be the sub not blending well with the room. Either way don’t worry it should take some time nd a lot of testing to get the best of the sub.

Nope. Bass is omnidirectional. A sub should not be heard, rather felt. It should be everywhere and not heard coming from any particular direction. More than Akshit I feel you need to calibrate your sub after placing it in another spot.

MaSh

I did the crawl. I guess position wise there wasnt much scope. Audessey is being used only for distance and delays rest everything has been tweaked.
Manually i have set my speakers as small and crossed them at 80hz. Subwoofer level--0db with manually position slightly over 12'o clock.
Now on the marantz AVR Audio>surround parameter>subwoofer toggle on/off.
So if the sub is toggled off the bass gets better if the sub levels set are conservative as the towers run in full range and themselves have good mid bass. Recently i found there was a low pass filter switch on the back of the sub which had to turned off as i was getting weaker mid bass like not comparable to my floorstanders.

The location is wrong for the sub. Try doing the sub crawl to find the right spot. All your symptoms point to wrong spot for sub.

Nope. Bass is omnidirectional. A sub should not be heard, rather felt. It should be everywhere and not heard coming from any particular direction. More than Akshit I feel you need to calibrate your sub after placing it in another spot.

MaSh
I can’t keep the sub at any other spot. Like I said m getting very good bass nd blends well with the speakers. It’s powerful nd punchy enough. I didn’t say the bass feels like coming from a particular direction. I can feel the bass rather then hearing it from the direction of the sub some times confusing me if the bass is coming from the speakers.If I have a dedicated room may be I can calibrate it better but for my room this is the best I can do.

My sub is also set to similar level. Note that a sub can produce much higher frequency than 80hz from which one can localize the source. It can lift your lower midrange and add weight to it, or make it muddy and destroy it. My Pioneer's mcacc cribs a lot if the sub volume is high. One of the critical feature of a "musical" sub is to produce frequency as high as 800hz. You can set your cut off at 80hz. But, there is a slope. Most AVR don't mention what is the slope used. Whether it is 6, 12 or 24. You define where the cut off "begins". The slope defines where the cut off "ends".

Coming back to the point, the low volume in sub indicates that the AVR likes to have sharper cut off so that the L,C,R takes full control of lower midrange. Some might feel that sharp and accurate. Some might feel that tinny and lacking weight in midbass.
Yeah only draw back with my current settings is the bass is not strong enough in 2 scenarios. Action scenes where pple are punching each other and in scenes where there is background music. I don’t feel the thump. Other then that the sub does extremely well. If I increase the volume the above problem is solved but at certain scenes it gets muddy which i don’t like.

I can’t keep the sub at any other spot. Like I said m getting very good bass nd blends well with the speakers. It’s powerful nd punchy enough. I didn’t say the bass feels like coming from a particular direction. I can feel the bass rather then hearing it from the direction of the sub some times confusing me if the bass is coming from the speakers.If I have a dedicated room may be I can calibrate it better but for my room this is the best I can do.

Cool, if you like it how it currently is then that is all that matters. Going by the numbers there is something wrong, but that is all secondary.

MaSh

Cool, if you like it how it currently is then that is all that matters. Going by the numbers there is something wrong, but that is all secondary.

MaSh

Yeah i know for a fact that i am not getting the best out of my system. A dedicated room with proper acoustics should improve the performance by 40-50% for sure. But have to compromise as i have set it up in my master bedroom. The only draw backs of the current set up i have mentioned in the previous comment

Yeah i know for a fact that i am not getting the best out of my system. A dedicated room with proper acoustics should improve the performance by 40-50% for sure. But have to compromise as i have set it up in my master bedroom. The only draw backs of the current set up i have mentioned in the previous comment

Yes a dedicated room is a Studio. Can calibrate how one pleases. But thats not a luxury everyone has. So should that stop one from fine tuning and correcting glaring mistakes? I don't think so. I have an SVS in a 16x12 living room of mine. There is absolutely zero treatment apart from the usual furniture. In the end, as I said, if you like how your setup sounds, nothing else matters.

MaSh

Yes a dedicated room is a Studio. Can calibrate how one pleases. But thats not a luxury everyone has. So should that stop one from fine tuning and correcting glaring mistakes? I don't think so. I have an SVS in a 16x12 living room of mine. There is absolutely zero treatment apart from the usual furniture. In the end, as I said, if you like how your setup sounds, nothing else matters.

MaSh
Yeah true. The setting in one room can be a Mistake but the same settings can be the best in another room. Only a good Atmos speaker pending to complete my set up. I currently have a 5.1.2 set up Nd njoying my set up

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back