Audyssey vs Manual set up

When the front towers can output say up to 50hz or even lower easily, why should we choose it as small speaker and route 80hz and below to the sub? Why not use the towers to its full potential by setting it as large? Afterall, towers
Costs more money for its full range capability with additional drivers and cabinet engineering.
Sorry for too many questions.

When the front towers can output say up to 50hz or even lower easily, why should we choose it as small speaker and route 80hz and below to the sub? Why not use the towers to its full potential by setting it as large? Afterall, towers
Costs more money for its full range capability with additional drivers and cabinet engineering.
You can just that lot prefer the sub to handle the LFE

In my experience...even if a speaker can handle 50hz...it is never 100% full proof and so a conservative 10 to 20 hz higher setting would help....

many sites define what drivers construe large and small speakers...it depends on size, actual cone material etc.......I set my bookshelf to large speakers and it works like a charm......for everyone settings and levels will differ

Ever noticed the ARAI fuel efficiency rating when buying a car? Do you get that number in your vehicle? It sure is capable of retuning that figure, but does it? Same for the speaker.

A Sub has its own Amp and a driver designed for low end. So why burden the Receiver and smaller sized speaker drivers with low end. Its the low end that demands maximum power from an amp. Hence, better hand it over to the sub which is made for doing that job and let the receiver gain some head room to provider better and cleaner power to the speakers.

MaSh

Because, by routing the low freq to sub (below 80Hz), you can then change the position of the sub in the room to tame the room resonance for which acoustical treatment is tough due to reqd size.. You are also easing the load on the AVR by offloading the bass from mains..

Why not use the towers to its full potential by setting it as large?

I suppose you could ask the same question about the subs as well when your mains are set to large i.e. are you wasting the sub's potential? With full range speakers and a sub in combination, you will need to make the choice of one "not being utilized it to its full potential". However, one of those 2 choices is highly likely to give you better bass as compared to the other.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I concur with all the above points that it can ease the AVR to handle the speakers better without the lfe information.

pardon my ignorance. Then why many invest on a pair of towers than a pair bookshelves when they don't fully utilize the towers? With the same money of towers, cannot better bookshelf speakers be purchased?

Then why many invest on a pair of towers than a pair bookshelves when they don't fully utilize the towers?

While I can't presume to answer for others, I expect that you'll find 2-channel "purists" that buy towers and run their setup without any subwoofer(s). Even if it compromises the quality of their bass.

For those that own towers and subwoofer(s) and set their crossovers low because their ego doesn't permit setting their speakers "Small", well, what can you really say? Especially when they'll be better served by their bass if they let the subs play what the towers are capable of, but in a more desirable location.

With the same money of towers, cannot better bookshelf speakers be purchased?

Yes, but personally I'd buy similarly capable bookshelves and a sub (or 2) to complement the low end. Broadly speaking, adding the sub(s) to similarly capable bookshelves will provide better SQ than better bookshelves all on their own.

Audessey set my speakers like front three channels as large and crossed them at 40 hz. I think i got the best sound when i crossed my full range bass capable large floorstanders to 80 hz. This way they sounded clearer. Since avr have so much processing that crossing the mains higher wud take much load off it. Denon suggests not to tweak the lpf for lfe settings. Let it be at 120hz.
Audessey in my case makes the whole system sound muddy so i manually tweak it..

Audessey set my speakers like front three channels as large and crossed them at 40 hz. I think i got the best sound when i crossed my full range bass capable large floorstanders to 80 hz. This way they sounded clearer. Since avr have so much processing that crossing the mains higher wud take much load off it. Denon suggests not to tweak the lpf for lfe settings. Let it be at 120hz.
Audessey in my case makes the whole system sound muddy so i manually tweak it..
Yeah we have to manually modify the settings after testing with various contents to arrive at the best sound or to our liking. Only reason i ran audessey is to enable the audussey sound settings.

I am curious to know as to where u guys have set ur subwoofers. I set it at 0db with manually setting the sub slightly over 12'o clock.

I am curious to know as to where u guys have set ur subwoofers. I set it at 0db with manually setting the sub slightly over 12'o clock.
In denon i have kept the subwoofer volume to minimum -12db and the volume knob of the sub is slightly below the 1st point. It varies from room to room and sub models

I guess i wont even feel the sub at those levels.
What? Your sub is twice powerful then the bic right? May be your sub volume levels behave differently. Like i said it will take time for you to arrive at the best settings. you will need to constantly try different settings, volume levels etc and test the sub. Have a friend come over a weekend and have him help you to change the volume in the sub, move it etc..

What? Your sub is twice powerful then the bic right? May be your sub volume levels behave differently. Like i said it will take time for you to arrive at the best settings. you will need to constantly try different settings, volume levels etc and test the sub. Have a friend come over a weekend and have him help you to change the volume in the sub, move it etc..
Actually u are using bookshelves. I have floorstanders. My comparison is with those big monsters. So whenever i switch the sub off on my avr, bass becomes better if the sub is set too low( speakers then run in full range) .

Wow thats a Lot of bass. If its not boomy, then that would be great.

In denon i have kept the subwoofer volume to minimum -12db and the volume knob of the sub is slightly below the 1st point. It varies from room to room and sub models

Something does not seem right. You have Sub gain set to -12db and volume on the Sub to almost nothing. Why? Is there too much booming if you increase the volume? Did you try placing it elsewhere?

What did Audyssey set the Sub gain to?

What? Your sub is twice powerful then the bic right? May be your sub volume levels behave differently.
Like i said it will take time for you to arrive at the best settings. you will need to constantly try different settings, volume levels etc and test the sub. Have a friend come over a weekend and have him help you to change the volume in the sub, move it etc..

I think his settings seem right. Yes they can be tweaked, but nothing alarming. Moreover, every room is different, every corner is different and not to forget every preference is different.

Actually u are using bookshelves. I have floorstanders. My comparison is with those big monsters. So whenever i switch the sub off on my avr, bass becomes better if the sub is set too low( speakers then run in full range) .

So you are liking the bass from your speakers better? Thats sounding cleaner to you? Maybe your sub position or the crossover is not right. However, if you like it like that, then there is no harm. Else you could manually try something that will let only let the Sub do all Bass Work.

MaSh

Something does not seem right. You have Sub gain set to -12db and volume on the Sub to almost nothing. Why? Is there too much booming if you increase the volume? Did you try placing it elsewhere?

MaSh[/QUOTE]
More then boom it’s very muddy. With -12b sub gain nd the sub volume to almost minimum the sub blends well. Bass feels like coming from the speaker nd it’s smooth. At certain scenes it does feel like the sub is absent but I hate muddy nd distorted bass so arrived at this settings. I have kept Audyssey settings at reference, enabled dynamic EQ with dynamic compression to low.

May be u got used to the tower bass nd having a hard time adjusting to the subwoofer bass. The sub has to be calibrated in such a way that u feel the bass from speakers. I guess u have not yet calibrated the sub to blend with the towers or may be the sub not blending well with the room. Either way don’t worry it should take some time nd a lot of testing to get the best of the sub.

@Akshit2111 Subwoofers can be a pain to integrate. Have you tried connecting the main speakers to the subwoofer? Set the audysey to full range and connect the speakers to the high level inputs. Use the subwoofer crossover and tweak it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back