AV Rack in chennai

j_kalyanaraman

Guys,

Help me to get an AV Rack in chennai. The following items has to be fixed.
1. Amplifier
2. Tata Sky Receiver
3. Worldspace Receiver
4. DVD Player

It's bit urgent as my friend (sound engineer) is coming for installation on saturday.

Tks, Kalyan.

Hi,
Am based in bombay so cant really tell u about racks in chennai.
But since u need it by sat the best option would be to get one of the standard racks offered by most AV dealers(AUDIO PEOPLE should have them for sure). Depending on the budget u will get one to suit ur needs.
If it can wait a bit the best option is to get a good carpenter and get him to make a rack from solid wood( as against plywood,particleboard,mdf etc). Log on to standanddeliver.com for great ideas.
Regards

Guys,

Help me to get an AV Rack in chennai. The following items has to be fixed.
1. Amplifier
2. Tata Sky Receiver
3. Worldspace Receiver
4. DVD Player

It's bit urgent as my friend (sound engineer) is coming for installation on saturday.

Tks, Kalyan.

Hi.

I too searched all over Chennai for an AV rack, but not even one I could find for dedicated AV equipments. Audio People has some nice AV racks that he uses for his high-end equipments, but all imported from Singapore, so if ordered have to wait for a long time, i guess. There is one nice three-shelf 10 mm glass AV rack, very very solid, which I stumbled upon accidentally at Sony showroom in Velachery for sale, they quoted me around 9k. I can enquire if you're okay with the price. If they're still available, you can come down to Sony at Velachery and have a look before taking the plunge.

Cheers.

Tks Dinyaar and David,

I will speak to Audiopeople - Jalal (Friend of mine) and try to get a rack ASAP.

I have seen good closed racks in AVSforum (Members Gallery) and those kind of stuffs are not available in chennai.

Let me try & update you.

Regds,
Kalyan.

Hi Dinyaar,

Standanddeliver.com is a great site for AV racks. Tks for your help.

I have shown a design to my carpenter and rack will be ready by tomorrow.

Thanks a ton.

Kalyan.

Kalyan,
You are welcome. You have one space age carpenter who is making it in a day!!!! Hope it turns out to ur expectations.
Regards

Kalyan:

If the racks come out well, please refer your carpenter to me. I am looking for two racks with four shelves each. I have contacted one Mr. Murthy in Bangalore and he has sent me some photographs.

why don,t you try omnimount with onkyo people,they advertise for the same after cehcking with them let the forum members know about the final outcome
cheers

Hi Kalyan,

It is very simple to make a hi-fi rack yourself. It took me two days to make one and the entire process was fun. Also you can customize it your proportions (I used golden ratios for rack dimensions to keep away rogue resonance), high quality 0.75 " MDF panels with veneer paneling giving it a beach-wood finish and spiked rods (turned on a precision lathe) to keep away acoustic feedback. It is a 3 leg design so coupling points to floor are minimised. Also if you wish to place a turn table on top, it is easy to level it. All racks can be adjusted to whatever height you want. I was in a little hurry to have all my equipment back and get to listening. Take one more day than I did to finish it and I am sure your rack will be a thing of absolute beauty. No commercially sold unit comes close to this and you would have the satisfaction of having custom built it yourself (trust me, that feeling alone is worth attempting this). My advise, don't use glass shelves. They do not dampen vibrations. Use MDF, the choice of the best speaker manufacturers.

Guess what, the entire thing cost me about Rs 3000 and it is a proper Hi-Fi rack with no pretensions

Last edited:
Flanker,

It is lovely looking and kudos to you. Where did you get the components. Any special reason to opt for a 3-leg design.

Hi Kalyan,

It is very simple to make a hi-fi rack yourself. It took me two days to make one and the entire process was fun. Also you can customize it your proportions (I used golden ratios for rack dimensions to keep away rogue resonance), high quality 0.75 " MDF panels with veneer paneling giving it a beach-wood finish and spiked rods (turned on a precision lathe) to keep away acoustic feedback. It is a 3 leg design so coupling points to floor are minimised. Also if you wish to place a turn table on top, it is easy to level it. All racks can be adjusted to whatever height you want. I was in a little hurry to have all my equipment back and get to listening. Take one more day than I did to finish it and I am sure your rack will be a thing of absolute beauty. No commercially sold unit comes close to this and you would have the satisfaction of having custom built it yourself (trust me, that feeling alone is worth attempting this). My advise, don't use glass shelves. They do not dampen vibrations. Use MDF, the choice of the best speaker manufacturers.

Guess what, the entire thing cost me about Rs 3000 and it is a proper Hi-Fi rack with no pretensions

Last edited:
Flanker,

Your racks look beautiful. Can you tell me the exact specifications of the rods, nuts, and washers and where you got the rods from?

Cheers

Thanks a lot....

I preferred a 3 leg design due to following advantages it has over 4 legs

1. Easier to level the racks using a spirit level
2. One leg less through which vibrations can travel up the rack and reach the sensitive equipment
3. I felt it looked more 'hi-fi'
4. Another crucial reason- my amps (esp my phono preamp) are so sensitive that they easily pick up any stray RF and EMI. The rods being metallic act as antenna. Having 3 antennas is better than 4
5. You drill one hole lesser on the racks - hence the density is maintained. This in-turn maintains the structural rigidity of the racks and prevents sagging
6. Since the holes are asymmetric, you can prevent resonance between legs affecting the components placed (ideally the 3 holes should be different diameters) on them

All components used to make the rack are available in Chennai.

Hi,

Since everyone here likes it so much I thought I'll post one more pic of it so that you get an idea of how it would look when equipment is placed and are more inclined towards building it.

Last edited:
Do not use glass, Rubber wood, Composites or Pre-laminates.

Use good old MDF. If you want better aesthetics build one with Granite, Marble or Acrylic:)

Thanks a lot....

I preferred a 3 leg design due to following advantages it has over 4 legs

1. Easier to level the racks using a spirit level
2. One leg less through which vibrations can travel up the rack and reach the sensitive equipment
3. I felt it looked more 'hi-fi'
4. Another crucial reason- my amps (esp my phono preamp) are so sensitive that they easily pick up any stray RF and EMI. The rods being metallic act as antenna. Having 3 antennas is better than 4
5. You drill one hole lesser on the racks - hence the density is maintained. This in-turn maintains the structural rigidity of the racks and prevents sagging
6. Since the holes are asymmetric, you can prevent resonance between legs affecting the components placed (ideally the 3 holes should be different diameters) on them

All components used to make the rack are available in Chennai.

Hi Flanker,

I am very amazed about your scientific and logical explanations for the 3-leg option. I thought manufacturers prefer to cut the production cost and save their margin. Now only I understand the fact. Even exorbidant-priced rack manufacturers do not mention these facts in their advertisements/catalogs for a 3-leg design.

Your information will be highly useful for all DIY members and help members to not plunge into snobbish products.

Thanks a lot.

A special note to the member and my friend, sgmane: Please look at this really awesome rack; I hope this would stimulate you to go the DIY way.

Flanker, by the way, can you share the details of your Hifi gears. Thanks.

Update: Flanker, I have seen the details of your setup in your another post. Thanks.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Last edited:
Hi Venkatcr,

You get the rods in Guindy Industrial estate area. The rods are 15 mm dia with I guess M8 threads. Thread direction is right. Don't worry about the pitch too much, just use compatible nuts. But ensure atleast 15 mm dia so that rods dont buckle. Anything more than this will look ugly and will eat into your rack space.

Buy 1 metre rods and while you are there in the industrial area get them electroplated (if you are lucky enough to find high quality stainless steel ones you can ignore this step). Buy TVS nuts (they are heat treated and hardened) of appropriate pitch. You would need 6 nuts per rack if you are going for 3 legged design. Washers need to be neoprene. Those guys won't know neoprene. Tell them flexible plastic washers that is a little black, grey whatever. Also buy good quality metal washers

All components required are out there and easily available.

Thanks Flanker. I will hit Guindy tomorrow.

BTW, I have a wild idea. Can we work together on this together and make it available as a complete DIY kit with ready made parts and instructions? We can make it available to all members here, so that all they have o do is assemble it. We can even add a spirit level so that they can ensure is it level. We can work with some machining company in the Guindy area.

This will be a great service we can do to members here.

Cheers

Hi Venkarcr,

The MDF boards and threaded rods are quite heavy and it will be difficult to ship them. Lets say we want to ship it it to Mumbai, the cost of shipping will almost be equal to the cost of the entire project. All components required for making the rack are easily available

Let me not discourage your nice idea but think about it. The USP of the rack is easy availability of components, customization and extremely low cost. With the cost of shipping included it might make the rack prohibitive to most users. But ya if we have a lot of members wanting it at same time we may undertake it as it would help bring down the per unit price as MDF sheets are sold in 11' * 8' planks usually

I would be glad to assist individuals who wish to undertake this project

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back