AV Recievers - Marantz vs Yamaha

X man

Any suggestions on AV recievers for HT ( budget ~40-50K).. 65% music, 35% movies. Considering Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, NAD?

Heard Marantz is good for music - How is it for movies? Also can it be serviced in India.. Also how is Marantz vs. Yamaha?

for more of music of course NAD would be the best choice, but I doubt there is any model available in their current range in the budget mentioned by you - 747 is available for around 75K. Next would be Marantz- a little laid back/warm sound (also depends on the speakers that you use) SR 5005 and the new SR5006 fit perfectly in your budget. Next would be Denon- perfect for equal distribution of music and HT. Yamaha and Onkyo are best for movies IMHO- Onkyo NR609 and Yamaha V571/671 are good choices.

Bottom line, as per my audition experiences the Marantz SR5006 would perfectly fit your bill, selling at arnd 45k through a sole distributor MZ Audio, Mumbai (Bandra). There is no 'Marantz India', hence the warranty will be offered by the dealer for 1 yr.

The distributors MZ Audio will give support post the warranty period as well, thats what they told me..anyway Marantz products have been available in India for quite some time now so I am sure there will be others who might provide support.

But surprisingly the Marantz website doesn't show up India anywhere.! So even I am a bit hesitant to jump in. As the holding company for Denon and Marantz (globally- D&M Holdings) are the same, i plan to check with Denon India as well before I buy.

Yes. Called up the guy in Bandra - he says he will provide support. But not sure how does he get spare parts if required.. Also is Marantz good for movies?

Am thinking of MA Rx6 as speakers - does Marantz go well with MA. Also which Marantz model should I consider.

Thanks.... Anything in NAD below 50K.. Stretching up for rx6 so hoping to keep AV in 40-50K range...

Also any suggestions on how to progress from 2.0 to 5.1 stages

Marantz is supposedly good for music and movies. More for music from what I've come across. For the AVR in your budget range check out this thread by mav. YOu might want to pm him. He should be able to direct you being in the same city and all.

http://www.hifivision.com/hot-deals/19106-avr-group-buy-yamaha-onkyo-denon-marantz-7.html#post265100

The price of MARX6 in Audiopeople chennai was Rs.75K the last I checked.
From what I've read in Reviews both in & outside the forum these two make a great pair. Start with the AVR and fronts for now. Then the Centre, Sub and surrounds.
Cheers.

Go for the Marantz Buddy, There is plenty of service support available. My son bought a Marantz SR 7005 and is very happy with the end result.
The Nad and Yamaha is also a good Choice. Go to few showrooms and have some auditions. According to one of my movie buff friend, the latest Denon is a big let down. And personally I dont like Onkyo:p

NAD got a very different sound signature that everyone doesn't like. So i request OP to go for a perfect audition if planned for NAD.
From my personal experience Marantz, Denon & Onkyo doesn't have much distinctive sound like NAD.

NAD AVRs are all about good sound and their main concentration is on that and less on features, also they do rate their power ratings very conservatively, lets say they rate their T748 at 40Watts x 7 @ 8 Ohms, and in 2 Channel Mode they rate it at 80 Watts per channel, but the main difference between NAD and all other Mass Market Denons/ Marantz/ Yamahas/Onkyos at the same price point is that NAD has a high current amplification which benefits it at peak load, when a loudspeaker's Impediance Dips to even 4 or 2 ohms even then a NAD AVR is stable and the difference is highly noticeable.

If you also talk about service then NAD, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha atleast have a service backup in the form of their distribution channel officially listed on their respective websites whereas Marantz doesn't even have an official Indian dealer/Distributer listing.
These so called Marantz Distributers are all subsideries/Dealers of D&M Holdings company based out of Singapore and not here in India.

NAD and Cambridge audio AVRs are in a different league.When comparing Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, since you are more of a music buff, definitely Marantz.
I preferred Yamaha 667 to Denon 1911 and Onkyo 608, because of it's music prowess after rigorous audition.

I own a Marantz SR 5005, and its serving perfectly well for music as well as movie, but i am more in music so there could be a personal skew. End of the day, you need to find a good technician and spares if something goes wrong, and there are plenty here in Delhi.

Cheers,

I own a Marantz SR 5005, and its serving perfectly well for music as well as movie, but i am more in music so there could be a personal skew. End of the day, you need to find a good technician and spares if something goes wrong, and there are plenty here in Delhi.

Cheers,

Hi Pawan,

Don't cook your receiver cause I wouldn't be able to get any spare parts for you now.

Factories making printed circuit boards for several Japanese brands are still in 2 meters deep water since 15th Oct. :lol:

I can add that Yamaha preamp & processing are better than similar/Budget marantz amp.
Marant has better amp section though.Still I opted 667 for better DSP & sound quality.

Hi Pawan,

Don't cook your receiver cause I wouldn't be able to get any spare parts for you now.

Factories making printed circuit boards for several Japanese brands are still in 2 meters deep water since 15th Oct. :lol:

:lol: no worries, i hope that water has receded. Finally i settled with HSU VT12 and STF 2, but did not get time to post pics and write story.

Cheers,

NAD T748 is available @ Rs. 53,500 and is far better in comparison to any Denon/ yamahas and Marantz at the same price point.

hi ashishkesarwani,

i think thats a very good price for 748. i remember i was quoted 73k for T747 at lakozy mumbai.! can you tell me where will T748 be available for that price in Mumbai (or even delhi would do, cos i am planning to visit in delhi next month or Jan for the auto show).

thanks

hi ashishkesarwani,

i think thats a very good price for 748. i remember i was quoted 73k for T747 at lakozy mumbai.! can you tell me where will T748 be available for that price in Mumbai (or even delhi would do, cos i am planning to visit in delhi next month or Jan for the auto show).

thanks

NAD T748 is available for Demo and pickup at both our stores i.e Mumbai and Delhi.

Thanks all for suggestions - What do you mean by different sound signature for NAD. Also any suggestion which amp gels best with MA RX6

Back