average life of AV receiver?

spirovious

Hi friends,

We all are after HT setup.Many of us try to get best for money(me too)We even spend more than budget for features.But how many AVR lasts for atleast 10yrs?

There was a time when systems used to last for more than 12yrs.Many of users have reported that AVR ends within 7yrs averagely.Few of us have reported problems within 1st yrs.(Denon,Onk,Yam)

So friends-
1.Have you or your friend has experienced similarly?
2.Which company is reliable?after sales service?
3.Should we really have to spend more money for features when AVR will not last?

pls.share your views.

Any electronic equipment is very unpredictable as to how long it will work without any problems etc.

But it will be interesting to have some idea about the average life.
I think in India due to excessive heat & dust conditions, it will be much lower.

I have tried my best to overcome this issue by covering the top vents with an inverted laptop cooler that never lets the AVR run warmer than warm, and at the same time prevents dust from settling inside.

Ideally my AVR should have a much longer life, but as I mentioned in the beginning, who knows?!!

Shall let you know when it conks off. Bought it only in Dec 2008. So give me some time:)

Last edited:
You are right,heat is issue.But what abt older system?perhaps they were stereo so heat production will be less.
Is there different solution?Like adding 3 stereo amps for amplification,but again surr processor is costly ,dont know why?

which AVR emitts less heat?

Hi folks,

Is it permissible to post about lifetimes of 2-channel amps here, or, is it reserved only for AVRs? My HK 6300 amp was bought approx 20 years ago (in Aug/Sept 1989) and after a service (costing me Rs 800) still going strong. For the last 14 and a 1/2 years it was in Kolkata and I do not have an A/C in my listening room. BTW I have used it also for DVD viewing, so it may qualify as a 2.0 AVR :D.

Hi folks,

Is it permissible to post about lifetimes of 2-channel amps here, or, is it reserved only for AVRs? My HK 6300 amp was bought approx 20 years ago (in Aug/Sept 1989) and after a service (costing me Rs 800) still going strong. For the last 14 and a 1/2 years it was in Kolkata and I do not have an A/C in my listening room. BTW I have used it also for DVD viewing, so it may qualify as a 2.0 AVR :D.

As you know its abt AVR,but we can really compare stereo performance to AVR.If your amp can work for 20yrs,then why not AVR if heat is taken care.

My bare basics Sony STRDE335 will be completing 10yrs later this year. Running strong - touch wood.

Hi friends,
There was a time when systems used to last for more than 12yrs.Many of users have reported that AVR ends within 7yrs averagely.Few of us have reported problems within 1st yrs.(Denon,Onk,Yam)

I am guessing you are enquiring about systems' long life. One thing you have to put in perspective is that an older system today is something that was built many years ago and does not fall into the newer generation builds. I have a third hand NAD 3020 that has been running flawlessly for the past 25+ years. I have had this for the past 8 years. The second owner upgraded couple capacitors from what I know. I use it on and off all the time when I want to hear the NAD sound. Absolutely thrilling sound after all these years.

If on the other hand you are enquiring about issues with AVRs in the early years, I haven't experienced that with my Yamaha, Rotel and Outlaw

Personally, I consider Outlaw and Rotel to have one of the best service offerings. Yamaha comes next for AVRs.

3.Should we really have to spend more money for features when AVR will not last?

First of all when anyone has decided to purchase an AVR, they are paying for a lot of features. As a balancing act, the manufacturers lower the quality of components. This could be one of the reasons the rate of failure is high. Also all components are coming down in quality from my perspective due to lower standard of manufacturing. Also, AVRs are one of the most quickly changed components in a system.

My suggestion to budding enthusiasts is to buy an older, quality component and build things one at a time with a focus on music. There is no better feeling of satisfaction when you hear well reproduced audio.

Bought a second hand NAD 218 Power amplifier 4 years before , The amplifier should be more then 15 years old and still working like a new one. The quality is much much better then the latest models.

Mars,to the point. abt Yam .someone was complaining abt bad service.

I did read that and am a bit surprised at the level of depth the CSR went down. I personally did not ahve such a bad experience, but then again I generally won't let people take advantage of me like that esp. when spending or having spent decent amt of money on a company's product

Been using a Yamaha RX-V440 AVR for 5.5 yrs now. Zero trouble.

Never ever covered the air vents, but always left space above it for circulation. Initially run thru a Microtek surge strip, replaced last year with the new DAC surge protector. Used the AVR is two different cities since I have been transferred twice during its lifetime - so the AVR has moved more than 2500 kms in its original packing.

Have a BPL-Sanyo D1000 Cassettee-AudioCD-Tuner Deck with stereo speakers brought in 1997, for 17000INR that time.

Works almost perfectly. The buttons have lost a bit of touch(seem to have a mind of their own, until I got it serviced and its back to normal now).
Tape works ok, but the CD player works like a charm. Speakers are very fine.

But enticed by Multi channel revolution, I have upgraded to Onkyo.
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/4810-onkyo-sr506-vs-sr575.html

Guess systems of new wont give this much life, will be very surprised if they do!!!

Mods... can we stop the advertising of this Yamaha DSP-A2070 amplifier by its proud owner. As such it is not available for buying anywhere. So at some point the HALLELUJAH posts of this "God-made" amplifier must be stopped. Its too much.

Mods... can we stop the advertising of this Yamaha DSP-A2070 amplifier by its proud owner. As such it is not available for buying anywhere. So at some point the HALLELUJAH posts of this "God-made" amplifier must be stopped. Its too much.

Sorry, Santy to offend you. I just wanted to show that my air cooling keeps the amp cool & extends its life.

That's all.

Note: I have deleted the post on your request. Hope you are happy now.

Last edited:
Sorry, Santy to offend you. I just wanted to show that to that my air cooling keeps the amp cool & extends its life.

That's all.

Note: I have deleted the post on your request. Hope you are happy now.

Hey Bro. I have nothing personal against you. You have a mighty, beautiful, powerful, solid performance amp with you. I am unlucky not to own it or to have heard it even once. Infact I am looking for something similar to it.

Yes, air cooling helps keep any amp, receiver, player, CPU, GPU or anything it is attached to, to remain cool. But please post relevant posts in relevant thread. You could start a thread on "adding more fans to amps which run hot". That might help you to increase your thanks/ posts ratio from 1:2 to 2:1 :)

Having an a/c in the room should help, to keep the dust out and keep the amp cool. Also, cover the amp with cloth when not in use, and periodic dusting with a small handheld vacuum. Having a clean power supply (from an online UPS for eg:) will also be useful.

I think if the amp is kept cool, dust free and given clean power, no reason it should not last quite long.

For most people it might be simpler to have an a/c than custom solutions like additional fans or other cooling gizmo.

I have been using a harman kardon AVR 25 5.1 receiver since 1996. I haven't had any problems so far.

Hi friends,

We all are after HT setup.Many of us try to get best for money(me too)We even spend more than budget for features.But how many AVR lasts for atleast 10yrs?

So friends-

pls.share your views.

My old Sony TA-AX44 Integrated Stereo amplifier purchased way back in 1987 works very well even today and has not even failed once. The quality of the components used also play a major role in the overall life of the amplifier. This 24 years old amplifier uses Thermax resistors and all Keltron capacitors (yes this amplifier was manufactured by Orson Electronics in India). Even the audio quality of this amplifier is comparable to many high end amplifiers of today.

Most chinese build amplifiers usually do not use high quality capacitors and resistors and also cheap imitaions of other semi-conductors which do not last long. The capacitors usually begins to fail over time and if the tolerance values of the components are not good the values change over a period of time after which it cannot be repaired too. Also digital circuits are suspectible to RF & spikes and better to use high quality spike guards to prevent spikes in the digital circuits. I usually use a good quality MX spike guard on my Denon -1604 (purchased 2003) and still going good with no issues.

Cheers,

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back