AVR (Budget ~35-40k) + Front Speakers (20~30k) suggestions

Hi

I am not familiar with the Philips but if you can check the specs in terms of supported formats...take a print or note it down...then check the pioneer specs in terms of formats....do a pro and cons and decide...

IMHO I have been using Pioneer as a brand for the past 8 years now ranging from DVD players to Blu Ray...I currently have the BDP LX 55 and the BDP 150...being more than 2/3 years now all working fine, has 2 USB slots where HDD is connected.....

Before I used to use Sony but unfortunately the built quality has become poor over the years.

I would put my money on a Pioneer, if I had the budget, I would go in for Oppo or Cambridge Audio....

Update: Bought 15AWG from ProFx @120/meter.

On Topic: I'm not able to tune in to FM Radio. I've connected the antenna but no reception. Any help?

And it seems that USB does not play movies!! can someone with Marantz AVR confirm this?

If it doesn't play movies via USB, what's the vfm option to add a source?

Philips 2185 Blu Ray player? - around 5k
Pioneer BDP 180? - around 15k

Please suggest. Thanks

Yes USB does not play Video. Its mainly for connecting an apple device or a pen drive for music.

From my Marantz 1504 manual:
Only USB memory devices conforming to mass storage class and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) standards can be played on this unit.
This unit is compatible with USB memory devices in FAT16 or FAT32 format.
This unit is compatible with MP3 files conforming to MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3 standards.
File types that this unit can play back and specifications are shown below.

Supported file types
  • WMA (Windows Media Audio)
  • MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)
  • WAV
  • MPEG-4 AAC
  • FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
  • JPEG
  • ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)

BDP 180 is superb, if you have the budget pick it, else Philips is excellent. I am using this model connected to my Marantz 1504 via HDMI. A 1TB hard disk connected to the BR's USB port which has all my movies and music collection.

MaSh

Last edited:
^^Thanks, so you have philips or pioneer? Which model?

What is the difference between pioneer and philips? What's so great about pioneer?
Anyway both have to read data and tranfer then to avr via hdmi. So not even their DAC or something is used. Can someone explain?

Last edited:
Pioneer players are well respected compared to mass market models.
Build quality, disc loading etc are much better in pioneer. The GUI may not look colorful or attractive. Where it stands out is excellent PQ and SQ.
BDP-160/170 ( the new 180) is a very good bluray player.

I have an entry level samsung player connected and is no match to bdp-160.
BDP-160 also has analog out which might be useful for 2-channel music.
I am using the analog out of Pioneer for music. Compared to HDMI out analog out is giving more warm sound.

@verma

You will need a bluray player if you already have BD discs or intend to start a collection.
If you are the kind to download via torrent then a media player is a better option.
Media players are more flexible with A/V formats and containers.
The sure shot is laptop HDMI out to AVR HDMI in. VLC and foobar2000 are good AV and audio players respectively.
VLC will also play virtually any audio/video.
foobar2000 is a dedicated audio player/ripper.

Pioneer BDP 180 is flexible in terms of outputs. HDMI, analog audio and digital audio.
Also has 2x USB and ethernet. Supports FAT and NTFS; useful to connect an external HDD and USB sticks.
All said good connectivity. As some FMs have noted, Pioneer transport (disc tray) may be of better quality.

HDMI for AV purpose
Analog audio output if you feel the DAC in Pioneer is good
Digital audio output if you buy an external DAC

Cheers,
Raghu

^^Thanks, so you have philips or pioneer? Which model?

What is the difference between pioneer and philips? What's so great about pioneer?
Anyway both have to read data and tranfer then to avr via hdmi. So not even their DAC or something is used. Can someone explain?

Exactly. Using via HDMI, the player is just a disc player, none of its other goodies or lack of it are used. All the hard work of decoding and stuff is done by the receiver. Where Pioneer would excel is in reliability and build quality. Yeh it looks better too.

I have the Phillips mentioned in your post and extremely happy with it. Bought for 3.5k from a person who got it free with his Big LED TV and did not want it(OLX helped:clapping:). I'll be happy if the player lasts 2 years. After that another shiny toy.

MaSh

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back