AVR (Budget ~35-40k) + Front Speakers (20~30k) suggestions

^^ Yes NR1506 is with a year warranty.
Bought it yesterday night from eBay India. Product listing says
100% Genuine and Original Marantz Product with Vat Paid Invoice and Official warranty for 1 Year after sales service all across India.
Now Get the best price of Rs. 42,695 only on eBay India for few days and limited stocks. MRP of the product is Rs. 54,900 so you save Rs. 12,205 on this product and offer available only on eBay India.
I used additional 10% off coupon, so bought it for 38.4k.
US price is $500 so 38.4K INR is great for a new launch product.

Please suggest speakers, then only audition will follow.
Thanks

Since you are in Bangalore, visit
ProFx with your AVR and audition Polk and KEF speakers
Music Ranch for PSB and Tannoy speakers

Budget is up to you

I have heard all of the above speakers and they are good for movies.
For music, Polk may sound a bit in your face; but it can be corrected by tweaking the AVR settings.
KEF Q series is very good for Music

Polk TSx starts at 14K/pair (list price)
Polk RTi starts at 20K/pair (list price)
KEF C series starts at 15K/pair (list price)
KEF Q series starts at 35K/pair (list price)
PSB/Tannoy are a bit more expensive (but you may find used/demo pieces)

Use your ears to judge how they sound. Don't just go by specs on paper.

Cheers,
Raghu

Planning to buy Dali Zensor 1 to start with. Any comments?

What's the street price of DZ1?

Last edited:
Volumate ,chennai has one pair of DZ1 demo unit,they are ready to let it go for 17k.
Now I changed my mind for DZ3.
You may contact them if interested in demo piece.

How is Q-Acoustics 2020i compared to Dali Zensor 1? or Q-Acoustics 3020?

Or any other model to look for in 20-30k budget?

Hi Verma

In terms of Q Acoustics, I heard the Q7000 series, the 2000 series and even the 3000 series....verdict is that they are nice speakers ..IMHO I would prefer the Quads over them...

The DZ1 have a good appeal and many forum members are using the same. No experience with Monitor Audio....

We can suggest.....but end of the day...trust your ears and decide wisely....you are the final end user!

Here is the Update:

Monday, 30/11/2015: I had inquired about Dali Zensor 1 with HTStore however I wanted to pick it up myself. So I checked with Mr. Palani of Audio Planet Kormangala, Bangalore which is relatively nearer to my place. Mr. Palani didn't like my idea of picking speaker without auditioning them and he suggested that Q Acoustics 2020i is another better speaker in same range and I should have a blind audition on both before deciding on DZ1. He was very uncomfortable that how can someone pick up a speaker just like that and he really wanted to help me in picking the right speaker for my liking, a sound which my ears like over the other. I clarified that I had auditioned DZ1 at DNI Home Theater but could not pickup them as there was no stock.

He still suggested for audition and gave me an appointment for Thursday evening. Later on whatsapp conversation I got to know that he actually didn't have stock of DZ1 and will arrange a pair from HTStore. I requested that he should arrange a demo piece because if I happen to like Q Acoustics, DZ1 would become an open box item. He said he would have to buy a new pair only but that's not a problem. I was really pleased with the gesture.

Thursday, 03/12/2015: As I arrived at his store, first thing I noticed was a brand new sealed box of DZ1 which he had got from HTStore. Box was opened and DZ1 were put for audition along with Q Acoustics 2020i. Even though I had carried my Music he suggested to start the audition with two English tracks which he feels will be good to compare the sound signature of both the speaker. I agreed and the blind test started with speaker A, followed by Speaker B. On both his tracks I liked the signature of Speaker B. He asked if I wanted to know which was Speaker A, but I said I would like to listen to my music as well in blind audition. I listened to few of my favorite tracks, and again I liked the signature of speaker B.
That's where I asked which was speaker A and it was DZ1. He told that even though a lot of people are gaga about Q Acoustics 2020i as compared to DZ1 including him, I happened to like DZ1 and that's what exactly he wanted. He wanted me to pickup what my ears like not what people recommends or likes. He stressed that every speaker is good and has a particular signature and particular audience. He happened to like Q Acousitcs 2020i among these two while I liked DZ1. I can't say Q Acoustics is bad in general and neither he can say same about DZ1. That's where I realized how subjective sound is. We must get an opinion about which speakers to audition, but we must finalize only after auditioning. So in the end I picked up DZ1 on Thursday. :eek:hyeah:

I would like to acknowledge the help and support Mr. Palani provided in this process with respect to his expertise, time and money (yeah money, in case I would have liked and bought 2020i, an open box DZ1 would incur him some loss which he bought on just that day for the audition). He took some time from his busy schedule as he is dealing with projects only now. Solely based on our telephonic conversation he gave me an appointment as stereo listeing is his passion and he could not bear the sight of me buying without auditioning. I really thank him for above. :signthankspin:

Now back to topic: So now I've Marantz NR1506 and DZ1 but I forgot to pick up speaker cable :confused:. So where should I pickup the speaker cable and which one? Audio Planet is about 15km from my place so it's also far for just picking cable. HTStore is about 30km.

DNI is about 10km. I'm in CV Raman Nagar so please suggest where can I pickup cable and which one?

Hi

I would not be familiar with stores in Bangalore but I am sure based on the distance of speakers placement from the AVR, you need to get the right gauge cable to enjoy optimal performance.....there are many brands, I guess a 14 AWG or at a minimum 16 AWG should serve the purpose....

I use Soundstream 16 AWG for my speakers which are running on a Marantz SR 5009. Works good enough....if you are brand conscious...you can look at DAC, Monster etc etc

Update: Bought 15AWG from ProFx @120/meter.

On Topic: I'm not able to tune in to FM Radio. I've connected the antenna but no reception. Any help?

And it seems that USB does not play movies!! can someone with Marantz AVR confirm this?

If it doesn't play movies via USB, what's the vfm option to add a source?

Philips 2185 Blu Ray player? - around 5k
Pioneer BDP 180? - around 15k

Please suggest. Thanks

Hi

Go through the manual provided to tune the FM channels available in your location...I is easy...follow the steps and you will be able to tune the desired stations...hang the antennae wire close or pointing to the direction of the window for better reception.

USB I believe does not play movies, for me it plays music and you can view photos...check the manual again for playable formats.....or try a different movie format...

Pioneer BDP 180 is a good 3D Blu Ray player and plays all types of discs...it also reads a 1 TB external HDD easily and plays all formats.....if the movies don't work with the AVRs USB, hook the usb to the BD player....

All the best....

Back