AVR Cooler Suggestion

That's a great product and looks cool too, especially the T9 model, a little pricy though but I guess it's worth it.

I used to use a computer fan on top of my previous receiver (onkyo) and it really worked great, but since I got this Denon, it runs cooler compared to the onkyo even though it's more power driven.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Indeed, for a system thats upwards of 1lac then the t9 makes sense, else even the smaller sibling the s9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVUWOBX?psc=1 will work.

another good thing is that you can stack another component on top of it. so heat does not transfer from the lower component to the one directly above it.

Try Technet N8 from amazon for 17inch receiver.keep it as inverted (upside position)position

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

That's a great product and looks cool too, especially the T9 model, a little pricy though but I guess it's worth it.

I used to use a computer fan on top of my previous receiver (onkyo) and it really worked great, but since I got this Denon, it runs cooler compared to the onkyo even though it's more power driven.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Iam running 7055 and 7011 with this for cooling and matching appearance for bad bros Marantz family.Terrific matching and options though

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Bumping an old thread but both my AVR and amp were getting really hot to touch during the summers.
I thought of ordering the AC infinity but decided to see if a cheaper option may also work without looking too bad or getting too noisy.

Glad I did that because I was able to buy two of these for 1200/- at the neighborhood store.
The fans are really really silent while the all black look does not look too bad
The surface temp as measured by an IR thermometer was in the range of 33-37 C after an extended movie run at reference volume level

I may still get the Aircom but now there is no urgency and it can wait till I can pick it up on a trip at a non inflated price
bb52f975-764a-4f90-85c3-8e29faf3ed48.jpg89ffee33-8264-4ad2-878b-f27de84254e7.jpg

Earlier I had Ac axial cooling blower exhaust rotary fan as active cooling solution but it was looking ugly and making little noise. Then I decided to go for Infinity aircom but it was bit pricey so decided to give a try for laptop cooling pad and it works great to my expectations. Looks little ugly compared to Infinity aircom but great value for money product.

frankly you get what you pay for, I am using Aircom Infinity for my 7012 and it never goes above 32-34 degress even when I use it at full Vol for extended times ( 2-3 hrs), its Auto function is very nice, also Aircom Fans are designed in such a way that it sucks the heat/dust and push it from top or out front(depends on the model) not sure how the cheap laptop fans can be effective in doing that. as for price if keeping it cool increases AVR life by 10-20% it will be totally worth it. Also a Laptop cooling Pad may even harm the AVR in long run as its blowing the Air into the AVR which may cause hot air and dust to buildup inside.

Last edited:
How AC Infinity perform in long run. I am planning to get Controller 8 with 2x Mutifan S7 and 2x S3. As of now, price estimate comes to 125$ for this, does it make sense to spend so much on this ?

1 - Lower left - AVR
2 - Lower Right - UPS / Stablizer
3 - Upper Right - Router / Switch / Synology NAS
4 - Upper Left- Blu Ray. Nvidia Shield.

My media cabinet has 4 partition, size is 6x2x2 (in feet), has fan cut outs on left and right side.
I feel Controller 8 with 4 zone support will work better in my case. If required I can add more fan later.

Last edited:
How AC Infinity perform in long run. I am planning to get Controller 8 with 2x Mutifan S7 and 2x S3. As of now, price estimate comes to 125$ for this, does it make sense to spend so much on this ?

View attachment 35675
1 - Lower left - AVR
2 - Lower Right - UPS / Stablizer
3 - Upper Right - Router / Switch / Synology NAS
4 - Upper Left- Blu Ray. Nvidia Shield.

My media cabinet has 4 partition, size is 6x2x2 (in feet), has fan cut outs on left and right side.
I feel Controller 8 with 4 zone support will work better in my case. If required I can add more fan later.
Like I said if it increases life of AVR by 10%-20% than its worth it, so 1 lac Avr averages 10k to 20k less spent on repairs may be. Btw are you planing to put AVR and Fan in enclosure? it need lot of head room (open space) to get the heat out and AVR do get seriously hot especially Marantz ones. Please Do REMEMBER Heat is top Killer of electronic devices, next is Power surges.

frankly you get what you pay for, I am using Aircom Infinity for my 7012 and it never goes above 32-34 degress even when I use it at full Vol for extended times ( 2-3 hrs), its Auto function is very nice, also Aircom Fans are designed in such a way that it sucks the heat/dust and push it from top or out front(depends on the model) not sure how the cheap laptop fans can be effective in doing that. as for price if keeping it cool increases AVR life by 10-20% it will be totally worth it. Also a Laptop cooling Pad may even harm the AVR in long run as its blowing the Air into the AVR which may cause hot air and dust to buildup inside.

It actually pulls the air out.
You are right in that you do get what you pay for - However in essence, both the aircom and any newer (cheap) cooling pad use similar low noise PWM fans and both blow air out. Just make sure that the concave side of the blades faces out while the convex edge sits on the AVR.
I have the pads hooked to a smart switch that activates if the AVR is on and is set to switch off 5 mins after the AVR is off

Having said that, I will still get the Aircom - but not at the hyperinflated local prices
Also, it will be purely because of aesthetic considerations and not for any specific functional reasons

Like I said if it increases life of AVR by 10%-20% than its worth it, so 1 lac Avr averages 10k to 20k less spent on repairs may be. Btw are you planing to put AVR and Fan in enclosure? it need lot of head room (open space) to get the heat out and AVR do get seriously hot especially Marantz ones. Please Do REMEMBER Heat is top Killer of electronic devices, next is Power surges.
As of now I have couple of cabinet fans in the AVR cabinet partition with 1 fan (exhaust) on cabinet side panel and 2 fans (exhaust) placed on top of the AVR and one fan (blowing air) on the side of AVR.

Old picture for reference, cabinet side cut out has a fan now. But yeah, I have low clearance on top of the AVR.
In long movie session, I leave the front door of the cabinet open but not always. Once I get the Controller 8, I can monitor the temperature better and position the fans accordingly. I will try to order towards the end of this month, hoping for some deals in Memorial day week.

I saw my Synology NAS running hot, so I had to increase the inbuilt fan speed. Now its hovering around ~43 to 45C, HDD is at ~38 to 42C. I am not comfortable with that, since my router, switch and other hubs sitting close to it. Living room temperature is around ~26 to 30C this days.

Last edited:
It actually pulls the air out.
You are right in that you do get what you pay for - However in essence, both the aircom and any newer (cheap) cooling pad use similar low noise PWM fans and both blow air out. Just make sure that the concave side of the blades faces out while the convex edge sits on the AVR.
I have the pads hooked to a smart switch that activates if the AVR is on and is set to switch off 5 mins after the AVR is off

Having said that, I will still get the Aircom - but not at the hyperinflated local prices
Also, it will be purely because of aesthetic considerations and not for any specific functional reasons
I have Smartthings plug attached to the AVR, so I can automate the fans by adding one more smart plug or even a temp sensor. But that might cost me more than AC controller 8 setup I am planning.

I am curious to see how you set this up ? Can you please explain a bit of you setup ?

Last edited:
I have Smartthings plug attached to the AVR, so I can automate the fans by adding one more smart plug or even a temp sensor. But that might cost me more than AC controller 8 setup I am planning.

I am curious to see how you set this up ? Can you please explain a bit of you setup ?
My setup is a little more complicated in that I have built a bespoke home automation system over the last many years - It uses a combination of various hubs (including smartthings) + a couple of linux VMs running various bridges to integrate Alexa + google home + Apple home kit to enable control via Echo devices/google Home devices/ Apple HomePod/iPhones

If this helps though, the smartswitch controlling the PWM fans is a cheap Tuya power socket (sold as smart life sockets for like 900-1000 INR)
These can be easily OTA flashed to custom firmware like ESPeasy or Tasmota.
Once the AVR comes on, it shows up as a live IP on the network that triggers the switch
Once the AVR goes off, the IP goes down which results in a switch off command to the said switch after a pre-defined delay

Not recommended unless you want to club this together with a full home automation project on the sides

My setup is a little more complicated in that I have built a bespoke home automation system over the last many years - It uses a combination of various hubs (including smartthings) + a couple of linux VMs running various bridges to integrate Alexa + google home + Apple home kit to enable control via Echo devices/google Home devices/ Apple HomePod/iPhones

If this helps though, the smartswitch controlling the PWM fans is a cheap Tuya power socket (sold as smart life sockets for like 900-1000 INR)
These can be easily OTA flashed to custom firmware like ESPeasy or Tasmota.
Once the AVR comes on, it shows up as a live IP on the network that triggers the switch
Once the AVR goes off, the IP goes down which results in a switch off command to the said switch after a pre-defined delay

Not recommended unless you want to club this together with a full home automation project on the sides
Interesting, I will add this to my wishlist. I will stick to smartthings for now.

Interesting, I will add this to my wishlist. I will stick to smartthings for now.
I am probably digressing here but ST is really extremely limited in what it can do
whenever you get down to your Wishlist, do take a look at a few open source projects that I have used extensively -
Domoticz (as the primary controller /rule builder)
and
ha-bridge (if you want Alexa integration / present non ST devices as ST devices to ST) and home bridge (if you want to present non homekit devices as home kit devices to Apple HomePod/ioS)

I am probably digressing here but ST is really extremely limited in what it can do
whenever you get down to your Wishlist, do take a look at a few open source projects that I have used extensively -
Domoticz (as the primary controller /rule builder)
and
ha-bridge (if you want Alexa integration / present non ST devices as ST devices to ST) and home bridge (if you want to present non homekit devices as home kit devices to Apple HomePod/ioS)
True, ST is limited. I have HA on my Synology docker and even bought RPi 3 for that. But never got around implementing it completely. With latest version of HA it is even more simpler to get things going. I was even considering Hubitat elevation. Hopefully I will spend time on it this year.

Good to know that you have a good home automation setup. We should consider starting a separate thread for Home automation and stuff's.

I have been using Controller 8 with 3 zones connected with dual 120mm fans (total 6nos). Happy with the build quality and setup.
Temperature probe seems to be working well and I see slight reduction in over all temperature inside the cabinet.
Running in Smart mode (fan start / stop / speed is controlled by controller). Planning for 1 more dual 120mm fan to complete the 4th zone.

feb86ef843bb91c4b8c206b14796602c.jpg

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk
How you guys are using TapaTalk. I couldn't find HFV on tapatalk anymore?

My AVR is close to 7 years and is in a 3 side closed cabinet and does runs a bit hot. Had earlier installed a small axial exhaust fan on AC power on back of cabinet. This exhaust though pushed decent air and keeps things little better but its also quite noisy. So its mostly switched off only and switch it on only in hot summer days.
Now since was planning to upgrade to better speakers now so in case new speakers drawing more power further heats up AVR and also to salvage some more life for old AVR, wanted to add some cooling option which can be kept on regularly.
Searched a bit and came across AC Infinity Multifan and Coolerguys fan running on USB power. These seemed decent option for my requirement but these are not locally available and can see only imported option so price was quite high.
As an workaround was thinking to use PC cabinet fans with cctv power supply box for 12V DC points to power these fan.But was not sure how good these would work and look. Also cost was going higher with using better brands and wanted to get something which would work out of box, So decided to wait till can get hands on AC infinity or equivalents.
But still something was required in meantime so thought of giving laptop coolers a try. These run on USB and look cleaner so fits the bills.
Searched a bit and ordered this one.

Cooler-Front.jpg

Initially thought for 2 fan model only but price difference was not much and also was not too confident of fan life so went with 4 fan option..in case 1 or 2 goes bad still there would be some working. It has 4 fans of 140 mm and airflow mentioned on box is 75 CFM which is near to AC infinity mutifan S7 102 CFM. On running is it throws mild air, do not have anything to measure airflow so cannot confirm if specs matches real world performance.

Using it more than a month and have kept it on top of AVR to pull air away. It fits well on top of AVR and also matches it nicely. It comes with USB A-A cable and connected it to a old mobile charger.
You can also see earlier cabinet fan at back of cabinet

AVR-Cooler1.jpg

Cooling is also decent, On keeping hand on top do not feel much airflow on box its mentioned airflow of but touching AVR can feel its cooler. Though again do not have anything to measure actual gain.

On not too good things:
It does have a 2 rotatory knobs . 2 fans for each knob. These are supposed to control fan speed but more so they only work as rotatory on-off switch.
There are 2 USB ports at back, one to provide power and other is to connect devices but when i connected power USB to my Shield TV and connected other to 1 TB HDD , it did was not recognized.
Fans have bright blue light and there is no option just to switch off light. At my viewing point there do not cause much irritation and in case they do I switch front 2 fans. Though not big issue for me but option should have been there.

AVR-Cooler2.jpg

Overall happy with. It does provide what I needed for now and can defer proper fan purchase till later.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back