AVR for passive sub

Cl3ms0nT1g3r

I'm finishing my basement and just finished wiring for in wall speakers for a 5.1 system. Mainly home theater use for the kids. All the receivers I've looked at require a separate amp for a passive sub. Is there a standalone receiver that would support a passive sub?

With my limited knowledge, I doubt there are any with a dedicated passive output. There are work arounds though and I have tried it in the past - painful stuff though! Check the following links as I consulted while experimenting:

I'm finishing my basement and just finished wiring for in wall speakers for a 5.1 system. Mainly home theater use for the kids. All the receivers I've looked at require a separate amp for a passive sub. Is there a standalone receiver that would support a passive sub?

If your passive sub has high level connections then I guess the fronts can be connected through the sub in any HT avr I had a bose am5 long back which had a passive sub whereby I could connect the fronts through its high level connections to the Marantz avr. The rest of the rear speakers can be connected separately. Basically the front speakers left & right connections from the receiver will connect to the front inputs of the sub & the front out from the sub will connect to the L & R fronts. Pls don't mix the polarity of the wires.
But a passive sub will not go as low & loud as an Active sub & you may need a decent avr to power all.

If you have a passive sub get amp built for it will cost around 5k for 300 watts rms amp

OP is based out of US, so I would recommend getting a class D amp from amazon and putting it between AVR and passive sub.

Last edited:
Thanks! I found a little 300 watt FOSI amp that should do the trick. Given these are in wall speakers and are theoretically set up to use the wall cavity, would it help any to add an insulated backer box framed into the wall to make it a smaller cavity?

With my limited knowledge, I doubt there are any with a dedicated passive output. There are work arounds though and I have tried it in the past - painful stuff though! Check the following links as I consulted while experimenting:

U can use car amplifier in home they are pretty cheap and can provide good output I'm using this type of setup myself.
If you AVR have output you are good to go.

I'm finishing my basement and just finished the wiring for in-wall speakers for a 5.1 system. Mainly home theatre use for the kids. All the receivers I've looked at require a separate amp for a passive sub. Is there a standalone receiver that would support a passive sub?

AV Receivers are generally not designed to handle the load of a Sub. The reason behind, it will increase the size of the power transformer by a significant degree. So, the Sub comes along with it's on amplifier aka, Active Sub. Your best bet is to get a Sub amplifier (there are a few good ones in Amazon) and use it to power your Passive Sub.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back