Back to tubes

The 8's are 87db with 6.4 ohms minimum, so need a stouter amp. I may try a push pull down the road, but for now I am looking forward to one my favored amplification schemes, i.e; tube preamp into class d, namely hypex based amps. Will be experimenting with that soon.
I am a bit reluctant now-a-days with tube/integrated and amps. due to the heat factor plus the ongoing power tube maintenance, with the lack of a proper tube vendor in India etc.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks for sharing. I have read good things about the hypex based amps, especially from Nord and Kjf of UK. But ive been reliably told that the newer purifi eigentakt designs are a step above the previous hypex and ice based amps. Maybe something you might want to consider.

And I completely agree about tube heat and the scarcity of reliable new tubes in India. I had to buy tubes directly from the manufacturer at jacked up prices, and in the other instance where I bought from amazon, 2 tubes were dead on arrival. And have received similar new tubes in non working condition from local vendors in the past too.

Besides, yeah 87db and 6.4 ohms definitely calls for a stout amp :)

Thanks for sharing. I have read good things about the hypex based amps, especially from Nord and Kjf of UK. But ive been reliably told that the newer purifi eigentakt designs are a step above the previous hypex and ice based amps. Maybe something you might want to consider.

:)
I am going to try a basic Hypex nc 252 amp first. For me the synergy with a tube pre. amp. is the critical criteria. In the past when I paired an Ayon DAC/pre with a nuprime ST10, I was bowled over, and have been pining for that type of a signature since then. I tried a very low cost Chinese amp. recently but wasn't too satisfied so going to the entry level hypex. If this works out then I will go the whole hog with mono blocks, buffers etc etc.
Cheers,
Sid

I am going to try a basic Hypex nc 252 amp first. For me the synergy with a tube pre. amp. is the critical criteria. In the past when I paired an Ayon DAC/pre with a nuprime ST10, I was bowled over, and have been pining for that type of a signature since then. I tried a very low cost Chinese amp. recently but wasn't too satisfied so going to the entry level hypex. If this works out then I will go the whole hog with mono blocks, buffers etc etc.
Cheers,
Sid
Makes complete sense....all the best :)

And I completely agree about tube heat and the scarcity of reliable new tubes in India. I had to buy tubes directly from the manufacturer at jacked up prices, and in the other instance where I bought from amazon, 2 tubes were dead on arrival. And have received similar new tubes in non working condition from local vendors in the past too.
If the tube vendor doesn't have a tube tester with published results then I prefer to stay away. There is no way they can perform matching or even predict the tube quality/strength etc. Afaik, no Indian vendor has this capability other than buying from the mfr. and selling at inflated pricing (not that it is a big deal, but requires some commitment on the part of the vendor).
Hence I buy either new or NOS from Tube Depot or the tube store. However buying multiple power tubes can get get expensive plus the hassle of getting them here, either on our own trips or requesting someone etc etc. So I am trying to avoid all this, however I am still open. Down the road maybe will consider it. Right now I still have 2 tube pre-amps and 1 tube dac with some 12 tubes overall, fortunately these are preamp tubes so they last a lot longer.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Cheers,
Sid
I got a VTV Hypex Ncore 252Mp amp recently, based on my above experience of tube pre's into class D amps. Wow! This pairing (with the AP swara V2) at significant discount to my previous experience (perhaps at 1/3 the price) sounds superb. The control that the little VTV is exhibiting on the mofi 8's woofers is amazing, much, much better than the O&B amp. Overall the sound quality has improved significantly. Very satisfied with this.
Cheers,
Sid
vtv2.jpgvtv1.jpg

To be fair to O&B, I would assume, I would have to step up to their higher offerings - which would be an even comparison to the VTV. The VTV costs about 25% higher.
Cheers,
Sid

Past few weeks, I have been driving my Sabrinas with the tiny vtv - hypex nc252 mp. I was a bit hesitant at first - the Wilsons, are fairly difficult loads, dipping to 3 ohms, but my fears were unfounded. This little inexpensive amp. is driving them superbly. On the whole I have been inspired tremendously with the new breed of Class D amplifiers. I am planning to get a purifi version to see if it sounds better.
Cheers,
Sid
vtv1.jpg

I have been experimenting with the so called switching amplifiers off and on since about 2009 starting with the Belcanto s300, another belcanto s500, 2 nuprimes and finally the hypex Nc252mp. While the initial belcanto s300 was sterile and cold prompting me to sell it in 6 months, every subsequent iteration since then has become better and better. Right now I think the technology has matured very well indeed, with the current purifi based Nad M23 being hailed as the perfect amplifier.
Exciting times, for me at-least.
Cheers,
Sid

I have been experimenting with the so called switching amplifiers off and on since about 2009 starting with the Belcanto s300, another belcanto s500, 2 nuprimes and finally the hypex Nc252mp. While the initial belcanto s300 was sterile and cold prompting me to sell it in 6 months, every subsequent iteration since then has become better and better. Right now I think the technology has matured very well indeed, with the current purifi based Nad M23 being hailed as the perfect amplifier.
Cheers,
Sid
True, Class D has matured quite sometime back and many companies are implementing. The 12 colt industry (car audio) was the first to garner the potential of Class D amplification primairly because of the advantage of shrinkage of size/space and dramatic increase in efficiency. It started with monoblocks to drive the subs and soon was implemented in the stereo amps as well. As early as 2015 there was some very good sounding Class D amps in car audio from some German and Italian companies.

Cheers,
Sid
I have heard the M33 which uses the same circuitry. It was absolutely fantastic to listen to. It changed my outlook towards Class D. I no longer treat them with contempt.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back