Back to tubes

As per my understanding there are 2 close competitors to the Sony 5000es in the laser projection field (long throw). One is the above mentioned Epson and the JVC DLA N7. I auditioned the Epson 12000b on a overseas trip few months ago. It is very good - excellent brightness, contrast etc., but it is not native 4k and uses pixel shift technology. Of-course without comparing side by side I cannot say if it is better or worse than the Sony. I believe it is slightly cheaper than the 5000es. The JVC on the other hand is more expensive and I really did not make the effort to audition it. Brightness wise the Epson has the highest spec, with the JVC next and then the Sony. However for me, moving up from the 270es which was specd. at 1500 lumens to the 5000es at 2000 lumens seems perfectly adequate. Secondly brightness can be misleading especially with HDR content, where some projectors appear a bit dull, regardless of the lumen output. Also I am fan of black level, and get put off by grayish blacks, and to that end I always use a lower gain (0.8) gray screen which does seem to help at least in better black levels - but has a negative effect on brightness, so in that context HDR brightness becomes an even more important feature for me. The 5000es is doing an excellent job with HDR content, with dark scenes having very good shadow detail and decent amount of pop, and yes better than the 270es. Beyond this, I did not audition any other ones. I am sure there may be some Benqs, viewsonics etc. that are also very good.
Cheers,
Sid

The JVC model is JVC DLA NZ7, I think, the N7 is an older model.
Cheers,
Sid

Unless you already have, please get a fiber optic-based HDMI cable. It brought in a nice change to my setup when I replaced my $300+ German cable with $60 Amazon's fiber-optic-based HDMI cable.
Will check it out, thanks.
Cheers,
Sid

Unless you already have, please get a fiber optic-based HDMI cable. It brought in a nice change to my setup when I replaced my $300+ German cable with $60 Amazon's fiber-optic-based HDMI cable.
Please share what improvement you experinced
Thanks

Please share what improvement you experinced
Thanks
The fibre optic HDMI cables are good over long runs - HDMI handshakes are nearly instantaneous. For regular cables, your mileage may vary depending on how well the cable is constructed. I don't think there is any difference in the quality of the picture (assuming the cable is rated for the relevant HDMI speed (18gbps/40 gbps).

The fibre optic HDMI cables are good over long runs - HDMI handshakes are nearly instantaneous. For regular cables, your mileage may vary depending on how well the cable is constructed. I don't think there is any difference in the quality of the picture (assuming the cable is rated for the relevant HDMI speed (18gbps/40 gbps).
That has been my experience as well mostly, with HDMI. My run is only 15 feet, so I don't face any long run issues. I have used quite a few cables over the years, and it has always been either it works for a given resolution/speed, or it doesn't - never noticed any PQ improvements. I haven't tried fibre optic though.
Cheers,
Sid

This thread is titled “back to tubes”. ?
Can anything be done to shift the other important topics being discussed to relevant sections?

It’s more to do with sidvee’s setup and his journey stereo as well as home theater. No need to police this thread - sure the moderators are doing a great job.
Yeah this is a personal chronicle of his journey over almost a decade. And has always been a well deserved and lovely read. Fondly hope he keeps penning his new additions and his observation s here. Makes for a wealth of information accessible at the click of a mouse. Which is the whole point of having forums like this....to share ones experiences for the larger benefit of others...

Yeah this is a personal chronicle of his journey over almost a decade. And has always been a well deserved and lovely read. Fondly hope he keeps penning his new additions and his observation s here. Makes for a wealth of information accessible at the click of a mouse. Which is the whole point of having forums like this....to share ones experiences for the larger benefit of others...
Actually, that’s the very reason I was reading it. Insights from experienced audiophiles are valuable. The discussion that follows after a while (valuable in other ways I am sure) however seemed to take a different direction. But if it’s not a problem then it’s fine. Hope this doesn’t become another distraction from the topic.

Actually, that’s the very reason I was reading it. Insights from experienced audiophiles are valuable. The discussion that follows after a while (valuable in other ways I am sure) however seemed to take a different direction. But if it’s not a problem then it’s fine. Hope this doesn’t become another distraction from the topic.
I get your drift sir :)

Absolutely no issues :)

Reading through this thread I note the OP had also described his lovely HT set up. Lots of interesting discussions on cables, acoustic panels and more. It was started in 2016 and has wide ranging discussions on a variety of topics. My apologies. I guess I got a bit excited seeing the title…😊

My apologies. I guess I got a bit excited seeing the title…
No need to apologize,
I guess Sid doesn't have many Tube Gears as of now, its all SS mostly with adequate representation from class D, contrary to the title. Even his new Projector upgrade is devoid of tubes, but that's how everyone's journey goes. Change is the only constant thing in life.

But he has a vast experience with tubes, we should ask him, if he plans to move from Wilson and Luxman what speakers or tube gears he will pick? With the same budget?

Guys absolutely no issues with OT discussion relative to the title thread - I am both a tube/solid state enthusiast as well as a HT aficionado. Regarding tubes itself, I don't imagine I will ever depart from tubes, my first tube amplifier purchase happened in late 90's, and to me they are most significant moments in my audio experience relative to amplification components in my journey. I still have 3 tube components in my current systems - the AP swara v2,the Lampizator Baltic 3 and the Luxman cl38 uc albeit all source and pre-amp components. I have moved away from tube amps due to reliability/heat concerns over power tubes. Anyways just though I would post a quick clarification, no issues with any discussions on tube/ss/ht components of any kind - please feel free.
Cheers,
Sid

Guys absolutely no issues with OT discussion relative to the title thread - I am both a tube/solid state enthusiast as well as a HT aficionado. Regarding tubes itself, I don't imagine I will ever depart from tubes, my first tube amplifier purchase happened in late 90's, and to me they are most significant moments in my audio experience relative to amplification components in my journey. I still have 3 tube components in my current systems - the AP swara v2,the Lampizator Baltic 3 and the Luxman cl38 uc albeit all source and pre-amp components. I have moved away from tube amps due to reliability/heat concerns over power tubes. Anyways just though I would post a quick clarification, no issues with any discussions on tube/ss/ht components of any kind - please feel free.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks. The heat from the tubes is uncomfortable, specially in summer and welcome in winter (if it’s a cold place)
I find that a hybrid design (with a tubed pre stage) to be a good compromise. But again heat from a class A topology is much more.
Then there is the all important sound characteristics imparted by a well implemented tube stage…
I have been coming across a few rave reviews of Class D amplifiers using Purifi modules that seem to reproduce similar SQ. Expensive though.

Being majorly brought up in a tropical climate & almost none to limited use of AC in my childhood I can bear heat better than cold. This has helped my affinity towards electronic equipment’s as more often than not room temperature takes a hike.

I run a very hot running chain with class A high powered tubes , tube pre & not to add a PC & Xbox which also contribute to the room heat. Need to turn on AC at times more for the equipment’s than for myself. Personally am yet to come across equipment’s which will do similarly well without major sacrifices in signature aspects I value , so will continue to torture myself with tubes till then :)

Being majorly brought up in a tropical climate & almost none to limited use of AC in my childhood I can bear heat better than cold. This has helped my affinity towards electronic equipment’s as more often than not room temperature takes a hike.

I run a very hot running chain with class A high powered tubes , tube pre & not to add a PC & Xbox which also contribute to the room heat. Need to turn on AC at times more for the equipment’s than for myself. Personally am yet to come across equipment’s which will do similarly well without major sacrifices in signature aspects I value , so will continue to torture myself with tubes till then :)
The sacrifices we make for audio would satisfy gods and spouses

Thanks. The heat from the tubes is uncomfortable, specially in summer and welcome in winter (if it’s a cold place)
I find that a hybrid design (with a tubed pre stage) to be a good compromise. But again heat from a class A topology is much more.
Then there is the all important sound characteristics imparted by a well implemented tube stage…
I have been coming across a few rave reviews of Class D amplifiers using Purifi modules that seem to reproduce similar SQ. Expensive though.
Yes I agree, I have even moved away from highly biased Class A designs as well. I used to have a symphonic line Kraft 250 amp., which used to heat up my room more than two tube monoblock amps. with quad KT 120 tubes. Currently I use a slightly biased Class A/AB amp. which to me sounds as good as the kraft. Yes Class D's are sounding very good now, I have a moderate budget Hypex based one that sounds superb.
Cheers,
Sid

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back