Back to tubes

I recently upgraded the source in my 2nd system. Replaced the Lumin D2 with the new Lumin U2 mini and added a Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC. This combo sounds brilliant, with the AK 4499EX chip in the Sabaj sounding superbly smooth while extracting a lot more detail than the Wolfson chips of the D2. I am very impressed with the sound and the leap forward of my system's resolution. I am so glad that AKM chips are back.
Cheers,
Sid
sabaj_lumin.jpg

I have been trying the up-sampling feature in the U2 mini, mainly to DSD 256. I noticed that with some of 16/44 FLAC rips, especially of older jazz recordings, the up-sampled sound was definitely smoother. In general the sabaj sounds excellent with native dsd 256 files, must be due to to the AK4499EX chip.
Cheers,
Sid

I have been trying the up-sampling feature in the U2 mini, mainly to DSD 256. I noticed that with some of 16/44 FLAC rips, especially of older jazz recordings, the up-sampled sound was definitely smoother. In general the sabaj sounds excellent with native dsd 256 files, must be due to to the AK4499EX chip.
Cheers,
Sid
I tried some DSD 512 albums. File sizes are really huge - 15 - 20+gb. The sound quality is superb though, really approaching analog smoothness, with these super high resolutions now.
Cheers,
Sid

I tried some DSD 512 albums. File sizes are really huge - 15 - 20+gb. The sound quality is superb though, really approaching analog smoothness, with these super high resolutions now.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sidvee :)

Are you playing native 512 DSD tracks or upsampling flacs to 512 DSD. I havent tried upsampling so far, hence curious :)

Edit : Please disregard, reread your post and understand that you are playing native 512 DSD tracks :D

I have always liked coaxial drivers, for their superb portrayal of soundstage and razor sharp imaging that is entirely independent of the cabinets. To that end, I have owned a few smaller Kef Uni-Q designs in the past. Recently I had a chance to audition the Mofi Source Point 10, and was instantly captivated. This is first time I have experienced point source like capabilities out of a larger speaker. A few weeks later I heard the Source Point 8 and liked it enough to buy it. I was slightly hesitant due to the fact that the proposed location of the speaker, in my 2nd system, would place the rear of the cabinet, 1.5' from the wall, and these being rear ported may sound bloated. Happy to say that these are sounding superb, even with close wall placement without any boominess. Also they bring a grand scale to the sound that I haven't heard in this setup and of-course the soundstage/imaging is just excellent. These are still breaking in (about 10 hours or so), but they are sounding very good indeed. Also another superb buying experience from Allegra Audio.
Cheers,
Sid
mofi1.jpgmofi2.jpg

I have always liked coaxial drivers, for their superb portrayal of soundstage and razor sharp imaging that is entirely independent of the cabinets. To that end, I have owned a few smaller Kef Uni-Q designs in the past. Recently I had a chance to audition the Mofi Source Point 10, and was instantly captivated. This is first time I have experienced point source like capabilities out of a larger speaker. A few weeks later I heard the Source Point 8 and liked it enough to buy it. I was slightly hesitant due to the fact that the proposed location of the speaker, in my 2nd system, would place the rear of the cabinet, 1.5' from the wall, and these being rear ported may sound bloated. Happy to say that these are sounding superb, even with close wall placement without any boominess. Also they bring a grand scale to the sound that I haven't heard in this setup and of-course the soundstage/imaging is just excellent. These are still breaking in (about 10 hours or so), but they are sounding very good indeed. Also another superb buying experience from Allegra Audio.
Cheers,
Sid
View attachment 78652View attachment 78653
Congrats on your purchase Sidvee , how do these compare to Tannoy's based on any experience you had with them.

Cheers,
Sid
Awesome ! was very curious on this. How is the midrange with male/female vocals ?

Congrats on your purchase Sidvee , how do these compare to Tannoy's based on any experience you had with them.
Sorry flux, not much experience with Tannoy's unfortunately. Have listened to KEF mainly for coax type designs.
Cheers,
Sid

Awesome ! was very curious on this. How is the midrange with male/female vocals ?
Excellent Arj. Quite lush and fleshed out. And despite what some reviews indicated, I experienced no brightness either with the 10 or these. In fact the 8 sound very neutral. Of-course amount of toe in perhaps could effect that perception, in my setup speakers are pointed straight - which is how I always enjoyed co-axial drivers.
Cheers,
Sid

which is how I always enjoyed co-axial drivers.
Congratulations for the Mofi 8!
I think you're the First one on HFV to get, currently the most desired and popular speakers.

I assume they are Replacing the Spendors, How do you like the Sound compared to Spendors? Any Changes in the Rest of the Chain to extract the best out of the Source Point 8s?

Congratulations for the Mofi 8!
I think you're the First one on HFV to get, currently the most desired and popular speakers.

I assume they are Replacing the Spendors, How do you like the Sound compared to Spendors? Any Changes in the Rest of the Chain to extract the best out of the Source Point 8s?
Thanks Kritik. Yes they have replaced the Spendors. Both are very different, spendors have that small speaker magic, where they just disappear, which is what I really like. Unfortunately, they could not scale up very well, and in that respect these have both the small monitor performance, while having large speaker strengths of larger dynamics. Not sure I could have got the same from some of the larger Spendors.
At present no change in rest of the chain, I just changed the source recently, down the road considering some class D amplification, and that will be it for this year.
Cheers,
Sid

The mofi's have broken in nicely and I have been using them in my main system. These scale up nicely with higher end electronics. However when they are pulled out into the room, in this case about 4' from back and 2.5' from the side, they sound simply sublime. Most recent large book shelf speakers I had in this room were the ATC SCM19 v2's. These sound significantly better.
Cheers,
Sid
mofi_main.jpg

Hi sid,
In which setup of yours are the missions used and what are the partnering electronics?
Hi Rikhav,
Mostly in a desktop setup, with the rear foam bungs in place, driven by cheap and cheerful Chi-fi - Sabaj a20a amp. and SMSL M300S dac with computer as the source, but these speakers are good enough to be used in small rooms as well, and their build quality is excellent at their price range.
Cheers,
Sid

Speaker march continues - my current transducers for the various systems.
Cheers,
Sid
View attachment 78966
Those are some really big bookshelves, if we can call them that :)

They look tube amp friendly. 91db and min impedance is 6 ohms as qouted. Maybe on the border with a 300B SET. But other tube amps should'nt have a problem driving them. Since you presently have lots of SS amplification options, are you considering trying tubes with them.

Those are some really big bookshelves, if we can call them that :)

They look tube amp friendly. 91db and min impedance is 6 ohms as qouted. Maybe on the border with a 300B SET. But other tube amps should'nt have a problem driving them. Since you presently have lots of SS amplification options, are you considering trying tubes with them.
The 8's are 87db with 6.4 ohms minimum, so need a stouter amp. I may try a push pull down the road, but for now I am looking forward to one my favored amplification schemes, i.e; tube preamp into class d, namely hypex based amps. Will be experimenting with that soon.
I am a bit reluctant now-a-days with tube/integrated and amps. due to the heat factor plus the ongoing power tube maintenance, with the lack of a proper tube vendor in India etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back