Back to tubes

I needed a second output from the Swara to connect my sub, and Siva obliged - for a minimum cost. Adds to the flexibilty of the Pre.
Cheers,
Sid
Will it be a good match with Nelson Pass F5T or AMP CAMP AMP both are diy from our group's group buy. Looking for the balanced option from my pontus dac to Pre

This is my almost vintage system in my living room for casual listening. The highlight of this system is the Cyrus 3 integrated which is probably 25 years old. Not only is it a superb integrated amp., it has a killer pre section easily comparable to current pre's in the 75k - 1 lac range. I don't listen to this system much, but when I do I always have a smile on my face, the ease with which this amp. handles the Paradigm studio 20v3 speakers. To me this proves that, it doesn't take much to have an excellent system - there are some real gems out there - regardless of age.
Cheers,
Sidsys3_1.jpgcyrus3.jpg

Will it be a good match with Nelson Pass F5T or AMP CAMP AMP both are diy from our group's group buy. Looking for the balanced option from my pontus dac to Pre
For F5T you need a preamp with a gain of at least 6 dB because the F5T has a gain of only 20 dB. 20+6 = 26 dB should be enough to drive even lower efficiency speakers of ~86-87 dB.

For F5T you need a preamp with a gain of at least 6 dB because the F5T has a gain of only 20 dB. 20+6 = 26 dB should be enough to drive even lower efficiency speakers of ~86-87 dB.
I have been told by a friend that Pontus is a true balanced design and using similar designed integrated or pre/power will be very good.

I have been told by a friend that Pontus is a true balanced design and using similar designed integrated or pre/power will be very good.
OT, the output impedance is high in Pontus, do keep in mind the input impedance should be high for xlr in the Amp. Better to discuss this in Denafrips thread.

I made some changes to my 2nd system. Highlight is that my amplification components are all from Indian mfrs. I am very happy with the sq, both the amp and preamp (acoustic portrait swara v2) have replaced some highly regarded brands. The Lumin d2 is also a superb vfm streamer/dac. The Swara is still breaking in (recommended - 100 hrs by Siva), but I can already hear the tube characteristics of warmth and lushness. Both my systems now feature tubed pre-amplification stages into solid state amplifiers.
Cheers,
SidView attachment 70873
Nice ! What's the O&B on the amp enclosure? I though you said pre and power were AP.

Thanks Stevieboy - I am currently using ElectroHarmonix kt 88's, but what i love about the quicksilvers is that they will accept El34's, 6l6's or Kt 90's as well but with changes in power output with the El34's putting out 50watts, Kt88's putting out 55watts and the kt90's output 60 watts. I have tried all combinations and feel the kt88's do the best with this amp.
Cheers
Sid
Nice choice on the Electro Harmonix KT88s. They made some changes to the tube, prior to mid 2019, and it is a winner. I used them 2019 on. Hari Iyer's single ended directly coupled 2020 mono amps uses them as outputs also. The E.H. 5U4GBs are also a star performer, if you like maximized dynamics. Their tube has plenty of " snap " to the music's presentation, missing with all the other 5U4GBs I tried. One warning, their 5U4GB takes at least 75 hours to begin to sound even acceptable. At about 125 hours, it is very good, and improves slightly after that. Do not judge it during the first 75 hours !!! Quicksilvers are a decent product. Roger Sanders knows what he is doing. Have fun listening .

I just got a Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC. With very little burn in, it is sounding excellent. What really stood out for me is the excellent overall resolution. Having owned a number of tube dac's (most recent being the Ayon Skylla 2), I was prepared to sacrifice a bit of detail for the tube lushness/warmth but with the Baltic, otoh I am hearing equal or more detail with the tube goodness intact. I feel Lukasz has hit this one out of the park. Indeed this dac is considered as the poor man's Horizon ($45,000). I have a bunch of NOS tubes lined up, so plan to do a lot of rolling for my preferred sound.
Cheers,
Sidlampi.jpgsyssep22.jpg

Congrats Sid! The Baltic is a terrific DAC!
Tube rolling on Lampizator DACs is a complete trip. Enjoy!

Congrats Sid! The Baltic is a terrific DAC!
Tube rolling on Lampizator DACs is a complete trip. Enjoy!

Your's was the first Lampi I had heard Nikhil. Subsequently, though I had the opportunity to buy one, never pursued for one reason or the other. Glad I picked up this.
Cheers,
Sid

So the rolling has started with a pair of EH 6SN7's and my favorite RCA 12au7 clear-tops. Liking this sound a lot. A nice tube glow shot for those who are into this sort of kinky stuff . I know I am;) (oogling at Nudes of glowing tubes) . Basking in this rejunative glow, with a glass of scotch - after a long, hard week of work.
Cheers,
Sidlampi_glow.jpg

Last edited:
I made some changes to my 2nd system. Highlight is that my amplification components are all from Indian mfrs. I am very happy with the sq, both the amp and preamp (acoustic portrait swara v2) have replaced some highly regarded brands. The Lumin d2 is also a superb vfm streamer/dac. The Swara is still breaking in (recommended - 100 hrs by Siva), but I can already hear the tube characteristics of warmth and lushness. Both my systems now feature tubed pre-amplification stages into solid state amplifiers.
Cheers,
SidView attachment 70873
Sometimes I feel your iterations in your second system are more interesting that those in your primary system especially considering the range and type of gear and the value per rupee they provide.Do keep them coming Sid.

Sometimes I feel your iterations in your second system are more interesting that those in your primary system especially considering the range and type of gear and the value per rupee they provide.Do keep them coming Sid
Yes I agree, the range of equipment in my 2nd system are definitely more accessible and VFM factor is much higher, especially now with the eroded value of the INR. Consequently upgrades in my main system are going to be slower and more spaced out. I am now looking at a long term plan of speaker upgrade next. Some interesting higher end options available in India now. Other than Wilson, this is my favorite brand in the higher end.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I just got a Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC. With very little burn in, it is sounding excellent. What really stood out for me is the excellent overall resolution. Having owned a number of tube dac's (most recent being the Ayon Skylla 2), I was prepared to sacrifice a bit of detail for the tube lushness/warmth but with the Baltic, otoh I am hearing equal or more detail with the tube goodness intact. I feel Lukasz has hit this one out of the park. Indeed this dac is considered as the poor man's Horizon ($45,000). I have a bunch of NOS tubes lined up, so plan to do a lot of rolling for my preferred sound.
ChView attachment 71775View attachment 71776

That is such a sweet looking setup! I bet it sounds every bit captivating.

That is such a sweet looking setup! I bet it sounds every bit captivating.
Thanks Black Hawk, yes the Lampizator Baltic dac has synergized very well indeed with my other components. I have been listening to my system 5-6 hours a day with 2-3 hour long listening sessions.
Cheers,
Sid

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back