Back to tubes

Thanks Myriad. I am using a pair of Quicksilver Audio Mid Mono monoblocks which are a push pull design and output about 55w a piece with KT88 tubes.
Cheers
Sid
How do you find Quicksilvers.
I am asking because I am using Quicksilver, Silver 88 monoblocks . I changed the tubes from KT 88 to kt120 with the approval of the company, and this made a difference for good. Also I changed main capacitors to Mundorf and WBT binding post,

How do you find Quicksilvers.
I am asking because I am using Quicksilver, Silver 88 monoblocks . I changed the tubes from KT 88 to kt120 with the approval of the company, and this made a difference for good. Also I changed main capacitors to Mundorf and WBT binding post,
They are excellent amps., SKR, it was and is my favourite tube audio brand. Very unpretentious VFM brand with excellent sound quality that last a lifetime. I hope to buy the mono 120s in the future.
Cheers,
Sid

They are excellent amps., SKR, it was and is my favourite tube audio brand. Very unpretentious VFM brand with excellent sound quality that last a lifetime. I hope to buy the mono 120s in the future.
Cheers,
Sid
I am now 70 and already have 8 amplifiers, so doesn’t look I am going to add any more.
Last amplifier I bought was Purifi class D mono blocks 200 watts each. Surprisingly these amps also sound very good.
Looks like class D and SMPS power supplies are the future. Many manufacturers are switching to SMPS power supplies instead of linear and lots of Class D amps being made these days.

I am now 70 and already have 8 amplifiers, so doesn’t look I am going to add any more.
Last amplifier I bought was Purifi class D mono blocks 200 watts each. Surprisingly these amps also sound very good.
Looks like class D and SMPS power supplies are the future. Many manufacturers are switching to SMPS power supplies instead of linear and lots of Class D amps being made these days.
Yes I agree, I used to have a nuprime ST10 amp. It was an excellent amp., however I still yearn for the magic of tubes, hence on the lookout.
Cheers,
Sid

One last image which impressed me a lot, is the upscaling capability of the nvidia shield pro, 1080p to 4k.
Cheers,
Sid
upscaled1.jpg

My first projector 22-23 years ago (1998-99) was this:
The first movie I projected onto a white wall in the basement of my newly purchased house in Troy, Michigan, U.S.A was Arnie's Terminator 2. I was so excited, I ran up to the kitchen and dragged my wife to see the big screen picture. She was equally wonder struck seeing a large 100 inch image. The largest TV - as I recall - in those days was 50 inches - costing some $6000-$7000.
We have surely come a long way from there.
The 270es is my third Sony projector in the past 20 years, so I definitely have a special fondness to this brand. I have gone through 2 panasonics, and 2 Epsons as well, but I will always cherish that wondrous moment with the Sony in '98-99.
Cheers,
Sid

I was so excited, I ran up to the kitchen and dragged my wife to see the big screen picture. She was equally wonder struck seeing a large 100 inch image. […]
I have gone through 2 panasonics, and 2 Epsons as well, but I will always cherish that wondrous moment with the Sony in '98-99.
Lovely story that most everyone who has a projector can relate to.

We’re all susceptible to becoming jaded as we progress through the journey of this hobby, so it’s nice to take a step back once in a while and appreciate the moments we were awestruck with the accompanying wondrous excitement (which almost invariably involved dragging one’s significant other to partake in as well).

Lovely story that most everyone who has a projector can relate to.

We’re all susceptible to becoming jaded as we progress through the journey of this hobby, so it’s nice to take a step back once in a while and appreciate the moments we were awestruck with the accompanying wondrous excitement (which almost invariably involved dragging one’s significant other to partake in as well).
During that time (cell phones were as big as a bag and over $1500, modems were dial up, big screen tv's were 32 inches CRT models with 27 inch being the most popular size - or big RPTV's were 50 inches max and cost a lot, and video cable connection was s-video or component at best with DVD disc players for source, resolution was 480p at best) getting a projector was a huge deal for me. I researched for over a year and a half, and majority options available with local dealers were large and expensive CRT based projectors, that required a lot of maintenance to align etc. Luckily for me relatively affordable & physically small LCD models had just started appearing like the Sony.
Together with a 110" pulldown Dalite screen, our family had some great times with this projector.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
After about 50 hours on my Sony 270 es, I am confident that I have the calibrations completed. 4k HDR content is looking awesome now, I am very impressed. Only thing I did is pumped up the brightness and increased the contrast setting slightly from the various recommended settings.
Cheers,
Sid

I have been on a downgrading spree of my 2nd system which gets very little use - it is basically a holding area of the components that are moved from my main system - I am sure many of you will relate.
Anyways recently I acquired the Topping Pre 90, pre-amp., for this system. I have been listening to it and I am very impressed with what this little, inexpensive unit can do. It is dead neutral, and system noise floor is almost non-existent. Excellent dynamics and detail retrieval. If any of you FM's are looking for a giant killer (solid state) pre., do consider this. IMO it can compete well with many higher end units.top_pre.jpg
Cheers,
Sid

In continuation to my previous post, here is the current iteration of my 2nd system located in my bedroom. Some components were bought pre-owned right here from FM's, some were dealer demos., some were brand new - full retail. All in all - combined they cost equal to or slightly more than the cost of just the cables in my 1st system. However it is a deeply emotionally satisfying system that makes me wish I had more time to listen to it. Always reminds me that cost/size of any system doesn't necessarily reflect its value.
Cheers,
Sid
IMG_20220211_195935.jpg

In my initial audio journey, I was always a tube amplifier person. I loved the warmth, euphonic distortions, aesthetics - tube glow - what have you- etc. of tubes a lot. It took me a while to even consider a solid state amp. Then I slowly dipped my toes into Class A, or heavily biased class A/AB amps. Loved the warmth, and the control these amps. exhibited. Then I tried early class D designs - which left me disappointed. Eventually I did find a class D design that was very good, but it was a good 5-6 years after the first encounter. During this time I never really gave much thought to their poorer cousin - Class AB. Turns out that was a mistake. Why this long introduction?
Well I am now the proud owner of 2 class AB design amps that I am really enjoying and do not miss the other amps. at all.
Which brings me to the reason of this post (finally). I have a decent higher end system, but also a budget system in my bedroom and a even lower priced system in my living room. The living room system is driven by an integrated amp. so I wanted to go separates, without spending too much money on what would be an occasional use system. With that view in mind - a little bit of research kept throwing up the name Aniket Das on our forum. Fortuitously he posted his recent build a few months ago and I was intrigued enough to contact him and eventually ordered his amp. (ss2150). It took a couple of months but it was finally shipped out (very professionally packed btw).

The unit I got is a standard 17" width but deep, and more importantly heavy. Ok heavy doesn't mean better sound, but right there - to me at-least is an indication of quality. I hooked it up to my 2nd system with a Topping pre 90 pre, and I was very impressed by what I heard. Impressed enough that - out of the box - cold, I heard the amp. for 2 hours straight playing back qobuz new jazz releases. For the past few days I continued listening and I am even more impressed. This amp. does mid range superbly, but does both frequency extremes very well, and particularly digs deep into the bass. Tonally it is very balanced and has a neutral presentation.

The icing on the cake is a gain switch on the back, one feature that I find indispensable to match to pre-amps, but sadly absent on 99% of power amps out there - at any price range. However the biggest surprise is the pricing - No I won't disclose it here - simply because I prefer you ask Aniket directly, but let me tell you it is the best bargain for a power amp. you are likely to find. For now I am thoroughly enjoying it, and more importantly - to me - I feel Aniket is a real asset to our hobby. Hopefully he does very well, and I am likely to be his repeat customer for some other upcoming projects I have in mind. Attached -some pics of the O&B SS2150 in action in my 2nd system.
Cheers,
SidO&B1.jpgO&B2.jpg

For now I am thoroughly enjoying it, and more importantly - to me - I feel Aniket is a real asset to our hobby. Hopefully he does very well, and I am likely to be his repeat customer for some other upcoming projects I have in mind. Attached -some pics of the O&B SS2150 in action in my 2nd system.
Cheers,
Sid

Wow thats some testimony coming from you. I was in touch with him to build monoblocks for me. I was hesitant. Looks like time to pull the plug :)

Prior to the Aurender I tried the Hifi Rose RS 150
but I preferred the Aurender which has significantly better SQ.
Cheers,
Sid
hifirose.jpg

In my initial audio journey, I was always a tube amplifier person. I loved the warmth, euphonic distortions, aesthetics - tube glow - what have you- etc. of tubes a lot. It took me a while to even consider a solid state amp. Then I slowly dipped my toes into Class A, or heavily biased class A/AB amps. Loved the warmth, and the control these amps. exhibited. Then I tried early class D designs - which left me disappointed. Eventually I did find a class D design that was very good, but it was a good 5-6 years after the first encounter. During this time I never really gave much thought to their poorer cousin - Class AB. Turns out that was a mistake. Why this long introduction?
Well I am now the proud owner of 2 class AB design amps that I am really enjoying and do not miss the other amps. at all.
Which brings me to the reason of this post (finally). I have a decent higher end system, but also a budget system in my bedroom and a even lower priced system in my living room. The living room system is driven by an integrated amp. so I wanted to go separates, without spending too much money on what would be an occasional use system. With that view in mind - a little bit of research kept throwing up the name Aniket Das on our forum. Fortuitously he posted his recent build a few months ago and I was intrigued enough to contact him and eventually ordered his amp. (ss2150). It took a couple of months but it was finally shipped out (very professionally packed btw).

The unit I got is a standard 17" width but deep, and more importantly heavy. Ok heavy doesn't mean better sound, but right there - to me at-least is an indication of quality. I hooked it up to my 2nd system with a Topping pre 90 pre, and I was very impressed by what I heard. Impressed enough that - out of the box - cold, I heard the amp. for 2 hours straight playing back qobuz new jazz releases. For the past few days I continued listening and I am even more impressed. This amp. does mid range superbly, but does both frequency extremes very well, and particularly digs deep into the bass. Tonally it is very balanced and has a neutral presentation.

The icing on the cake is a gain switch on the back, one feature that I find indispensable to match to pre-amps, but sadly absent on 99% of power amps out there - at any price range. However the biggest surprise is the pricing - No I won't disclose it here - simply because I prefer you ask Aniket directly, but let me tell you it is the best bargain for a power amp. you are likely to find. For now I am thoroughly enjoying it, and more importantly - to me - I feel Aniket is a real asset to our hobby. Hopefully he does very well, and I am likely to be his repeat customer for some other upcoming projects I have in mind. Attached -some pics of the O&B SS2150 in action in my 2nd system.
Cheers,
SidView attachment 67535View attachment 67536
Thanks a ton for sharing :)

I've been intrigued all along about anikets amps. I guess if he can be offered a amp build with no wallet restrictions involved, the outcome could be stunning :)

Cheers,
SidView attachment 67535View attachment 67536
Thanks a lot sid for the feedback means a lot

Regards
Aniket Das

I made some changes to my 2nd system. Highlight is that my amplification components are all from Indian mfrs. I am very happy with the sq, both the amp and preamp (acoustic portrait swara v2) have replaced some highly regarded brands. The Lumin d2 is also a superb vfm streamer/dac. The Swara is still breaking in (recommended - 100 hrs by Siva), but I can already hear the tube characteristics of warmth and lushness. Both my systems now feature tubed pre-amplification stages into solid state amplifiers.
Cheers,
Sidsys2_latest.jpg

I made some changes to my 2nd system. Highlight is that my amplification components are all from Indian mfrs. I am very happy with the sq, both the amp and preamp (acoustic portrait swara v2) have replaced some highly regarded brands. The Lumin d2 is also a superb vfm streamer/dac. The Swara is still breaking in (recommended - 100 hrs by Siva), but I can already hear the tube characteristics of warmth and lushness. Both my systems now feature tubed pre-amplification stages into solid state amplifiers.
Cheers,
Sid

Congratulations so happy to see AP preamp in the chain, I love their DAC as well..maybe one day :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back