Back to tubes

Hi Sid,
Great thread :)
i am curious about something, what output from the streamer do you use to the dac & do you find a difference with I2s, usb, optical, coax?

Hi Sid,
Great thread :)
i am curious about something, what output from the streamer do you use to the dac & do you find a difference with I2s, usb, optical, coax?
Hi Rajesh,
I have the Aurender N100H which only has an USB output. I used external converters in the past from m2tech (mainly coaxial, AES/EBU and I2S)etc. but did not find significant improvement to warrant adding another box, especially after manufacturers stepped up their USB connections - galvanic isolation etc. In the aurender series one has to step up to N100C (coaxial) or N10 (ase/ebu) to get this facility without adding another box. However, I was told by Aurender themselves that the USB module they use is same across the N100 and N10 series, so unless one is not planning to use USB out, then the cost of N10 ($8000) is perhaps not really justified. Anyways to make a long story short, I am absolutely fine and happy with a properly implemented USB connection, both from streamer and to DAC's, and in the future, though I will step up to the likes of a N10/N20 it won't be because of the availability of other options and I will continue using USB. Another issue (not sure where it stands now) but full rate DSD (128, 256) cannot be transmitted over coax/Aes (not sure of i2s but that is not a universal standard connection anyways - each mfr has a different pin out etc), which mainly defeats my purpose.
Cheers,
Sid

H Another issue (not sure where it stands now) but full rate DSD (128, 256) cannot be transmitted over coax/Aes (not sure of i2s but that is not a universal standard connection anyways - each mfr has a different pin out etc), which mainly defeats my purpose.
Cheers,
Sid
I know lot of folks have mixed experience with DSD, but for me a properly recorded native DSD recording - and properly implemented digital set up - especially at rates of 128, 256 or even 512 is superior to anything else available today, and that is the ultimate quest for digital in my system. I had started this journey perhaps 15-20 years ago with a Marantz SACD player and a few Sony SACD discs, which has culminated here. I just finished listening to 2-3 recordings of native 128x dsd's and I am highly pleased with the sound. To me this is the real promise of high rez digital.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Rajesh,
I have the Aurender N100H which only has an USB output. I used external converters in the past from m2tech (mainly coaxial, AES/EBU and I2S)etc. but did not find significant improvement to warrant adding another box, especially after manufacturers stepped up their USB connections - galvanic isolation etc. In the aurender series one has to step up to N100C (coaxial) or N10 (ase/ebu) to get this facility without adding another box. However, I was told by Aurender themselves that the USB module they use is same across the N100 and N10 series, so unless one is not planning to use USB out, then the cost of N10 ($8000) is perhaps not really justified. Anyways to make a long story short, I am absolutely fine and happy with a properly implemented USB connection, both from streamer and to DAC's, and in the future, though I will step up to the likes of a N10/N20 it won't be because of the availability of other options and I will continue using USB. Another issue (not sure where it stands now) but full rate DSD (128, 256) cannot be transmitted over coax/Aes (not sure of i2s but that is not a universal standard connection anyways - each mfr has a different pin out etc), which mainly defeats my purpose.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks for clarifying.

I recently acquired a Rythmik L12 to pair with the Spendor Classic 3/5 in my 2nd system. It has integrated beautifully and is providing superb enhancement to the missing low end. The Spendor's are so much more enjoyable now. It was great dealing with Santosh of Prosonics Avolutions for buying this sub.
Cheers,
Sid
rythmik1.jpgryhtmik2.jpg

Super addition to the room Sid!
Is the Rythmik L12 a sealed sub design?

Thanks Nikhil, yes it is sealed, but more importantly it is a servo feedback design, so the bass is fast and tight with excellent timing and probably one of the main reason why it is integrating so well. Anyways that was one of my prerequisites, when I was deciding on a sub for music.
Cheers,
Sid

I recently acquired a Rythmik L12 to pair with the Spendor Classic 3/5 in my 2nd system. It has integrated beautifully and is providing superb enhancement to the missing low end. The Spendor's are so much more enjoyable now. It was great dealing with Santosh of Prosonics Avolutions for buying this sub.
Cheers,
Sid
Wow congrats sidvee ! Are you using the line level connection or the speaker level ?

Also whats the crossover point you have chosen for the integration ? did you try out different positions to get the right one ?

Wow congrats sidvee ! Are you using the line level connection or the speaker level ?

Also whats the crossover point you have chosen for the integration ? did you try out different positions to get the right one ?
Thanks Arj, this sub doesn't have high level connections, so I am using 2nd rca output from my Backert preamp. Crossover is set at 70hz (24db slope), about the general area where the spendor's response starts dropping below the the -3db point. No luxury to try out different positions as it is in my bedroom, but the current position is where I have tried other subs. and it works quite well. If I can move the sub to the middle of the front wall, between the 2 speakers, it will be the best position with smoothest response - but unfortunately that is something I cannot do in this room.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Thanks Sid ! many years back when I was integrating a REL with merlins I was told to use the 10 db point of the speaker but increase the amplitude much higher. Apparently the Rel's integerated with the main speakers better with the above
The Rhythmic is of course different and may work differently.

I feel that the Rythmik sounds better in direct comparison to the svs sb2000 for music. Timing appears better and overall coherence of the sound is also better. Maybe the new sb2000 pro may perform better.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Sid ! many years back when I was integrating a REL with merlins I was told to use the 10 db point of the speaker but increase the amplitude much higher. Apparently the Rel's integerated with the main speakers better with the above
The Rhythmic is of course different and may work differently.
I am using this as a guide:
Still playing around a bit with volume settings, 12 "o" clock is too high in my setup. Also haven't worked on the peq yet, though I think I have an idea now on its settings.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Dear FM's,
This is my audio-video setup thread that somehow I have been continuing to post and maintain for the past 11 years. For me personally, it is an unique journal of what equipment I have used, my impressions of them and what I hope to achieve in the future - and many, many thanks to the Forum Super Moderator and Moderators for giving me this incredible privilege of being able to store a record of all my AV activities here. Quite often if I have to revisit any of the changes to my system, I just revisit this thread to refresh my memory. Please understand that in no way, shape or form am I trying to influence, impress or otherwise coerce anyone with my equipment choices. Secondly I am no expert in a lot of the equipment options/capability that are available out there. With whatever little knowledge I possess, and whatever financial means I have at my disposal, I am trying to assemble the best system/systems I can.
So a humble request from my side - please do visit this thread and post as often as you can, but kindly refrain from condescending/snide remarks - such as "I pity you", etc. I understand that perhaps I am not the most experienced member here, or perhaps that I do not have the knowledge or the financial means to buy the equipment that a well meaning poster would prefer to see here, but all the same I have a bit of pride - like everyone else - I do my homework - rely on whatever little experience I have and then make the effort to buy and showcase what I have. So I hope you all can respect that. I have had 2-3 instances where posting on my own thread has turned ugly, due to the reasons I stated above, in one instance a dealer even got pissed off at me for not liking some of his equipment and posting here. Hence this fervent appeal. Again I would like to reiterate - I am no expert, certainly not an audiophile, my equipment is above average at best - there are some FM's here whose 1 single component would buy my whole system/systems with change left over and whose knowledge/experience is so vast - this lifetime of mine will not be enough to acquire it - and whose experience in setting up synergistic/musical systems is so accomplished that my efforts here are entry level/novice in comparison. So please visit, enjoy, critique, praise but please do it gently. I wish to learn from all of you.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Dear FM's,
This is my audio-video setup thread that somehow I have been continuing to post and maintain for the past 11 years. For me personally, it is an incredible journal of what equipment I have used, my impressions of them and what I hope to achieve in the future - and many, many thanks to the Forum Super Moderator and Moderators for giving me this incredible privilege of being able to store a record of all my AV activities here. Quite often if I have to revisit any of the changes to my system, I just revisit this thread to refresh my memory. Please understand that in no way, shape or form am I trying to influence, impress or otherwise coerce anyone with my equipment choices. Secondly I am no expert in a lot of the equipment options/capability that are available out there. With whatever little knowledge I possess, and whatever financial means I have at my disposal, I am trying to assemble the best system/systems I can.
So a humble request from my side - please do visit this thread and post as often as you can, but kindly refrain from condescending/snide remarks - such as "I pity you", etc. I understand that perhaps I am not the most experienced member here, or perhaps that I do not have the knowledge or the financial means to perhaps buy the equipment that a well meaning poster would prefer to see here, but all the same I have a bit of pride - like everyone else - I do my homework - rely on whatever little experience I have and then make the effort to buy and showcase what I have. So I hope you all can respect that. I have had 2-3 instances where posting on my thread has turned ugly, due to the reasons I stated above, in one instance a dealer even got pissed off at me for not liking some of his equipment and posting here. Hence this appeal. Again I would like to reiterate - I am no expert, certainly not an audiophile, my equipment is above average at best - there are some FM's here whose 1 single component would buy my whole system/systems with change left over and whose knowledge is so vast - this lifetime of mine will not be enough to acquire it. So please visit, enjoy, critique, praise but please do it gently. I wish to learn from all of you.
Cheers,
Sid
Personally I have learnt a lot observing your journey and discussing with you on many things like audio racks to acoustic treatment and the Hifi gear.

I also learnt to judiciously budget the spending while disrupting the set up every 4 to 5 years...that saved a lot of money for me.
Apart from these you have introduced me to Jazz genre which I am thoroughly enjoying day in day out. Thank you for mentor ship and support for the last Ten years.

Cheers

@sidvee have you tried RELs in any of your setups? My own experiences with sealed subs mirror yours. I’ve found that my rels tend to be faster and keep pace with whatever main speakers I’ve had over the years as compared to a ported sub.

@sidvee have you tried RELs in any of your setups? My own experiences with sealed subs mirror yours. I’ve found that my rels tend to be faster and keep pace with whatever main speakers I’ve had over the years as compared to a ported sub.
Many years ago I owned a Britannia 3, though I believe it was a ported sub. (back then I didn't know much about ported vs sealed). Regardless it blended very well with my B&W 805N and I enjoyed this combo. for quite a few years. Since then I have owned NHT, velodyne, HSU, SVS and now for the first time Rythmik. Yes I agree, once I made the switch to sealed, I could never go back to ported for music. Lately I have also been using sealed for HT duties as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Arj, this sub doesn't have high level connections, so I am using 2nd rca output from my Backert preamp. Crossover is set at 70hz (24db slope), about the general area where the spendor's response starts dropping below the the -3db point. No luxury to try out different positions as it is in my bedroom, but the current position is where I have tried other subs. and it works quite well. If I can move the sub to the middle of the front wall, between the 2 speakers, it will be the best position with smoothest response - but unfortunately that is something I cannot do in this room.
Cheers,
Sid
Interestingly the Rhythmic does have a Speaker level option as well and since I do not have a separate Pre thats the only option for me to get a sub in ( if I do get back to a sub ie ! )

Many years ago I owned a Britannia 3, though I believe it was a ported sub. (back then I didn't know much about ported vs sealed). Regardless it blended very well with my B&W 805N and I enjoyed this combo. for quite a few years. Since then I have owned NHT, velodyne, HSU, SVS and now for the first time Rythmik. Yes I agree, once I made the switch to sealed, I could never go back to ported for music. Lately I have also been using sealed for HT duties as well.
Cheers,
Sid

The Britannia was more for HT if I remember maybe made by Sumiko for the US market once they bought it off Richard Lord many years back keeping RELS design but adding more power and also adding front firing designs.

The ST series was the one for music which also had both ported and sealed box models.

Last edited:
Interestingly the Rhythmic does have a Speaker level option as well and since I do not have a separate Pre thats the only option for me to get a sub in ( if I do get back to a sub ie ! )

The Britannia was more for HT if I remember maybe made by Sumiko for the US market once they bought it off Richard Lord many years back keeping RELS design but adding more power and also adding front firing designs.

The ST series was the one for music which also had both ported and sealed box models.
AFAIK none of their sealed models have high level inputs. You may want to consider the new svs pro series that have speaker level inputs or even the JL audio dominion series - both are available in India. Speaker level inputs was not a major concern for me, since my pre has a 2nd output expressly for the purpose of adding a sub. Yes I bought the b3 from Sumiko, and as I said those days( 15-16 years ago), SPL was more important than accuracy for me (plus I didn't know much about sealed designs other than SPL's would be lower which was a big no-no) but regardless it performed very well. Since then I have mostly migrated to sealed designs.

Cheers,
Sid

If you go by this - http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12_features.html. The image shows speaker level inputs

I had written to them 2 years back when I was flirting with an idea for a sub and this is what I got back

Enrico Castagnetti <[email protected]>​

Mon, Nov 26, 2018, 8:46 PM
to Brian, me
Arjun,

In a room that size I would recommend either E15HP or F15HP. Both of them have speaker level inputs when purchased with H600PEQ3 amp.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio - Tech Support

If you go by this - http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12_features.html. The image shows speaker level inputs

I had written to them 2 years back when I was flirting with an idea for a sub and this is what I got back
Then I stand corrected Arj. I was just looking at an inexpensive sub., with servo feedback and the L12 suited my requirement. Really didn't get into the higher end options, because they were beyond my budget anyways. Fwiw the L12 is working out really well, I am very satisfied - I am a fan of double bass, and without the L12, all my favorite albums really sounded off. Now that I have it in my system I am enjoying all these thoroughly. I am sure if you consider their higher end models they will be exponentially better. Also do consider JL audio as you look at higher end models. I heard their fathom series with dual 12" drivers when I was auditioning Wilson audio speakers and it was mind blowing.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back