Back to tubes

Experienced some audio drop outs, unfortunately, with the Amethyst, other than that it sounded superb. Will be getting a new r2r DAC soon for my 2nd system.
Cheers,
Sid
I recently got a Chord qutest for my bedroom setup. I am really liking the sound quality. I feel it is significantly better than the Amethyst. I was initially trying to get a Denafrips Ares II, but I think this is a much better option for my setup. Thoroughly enjoying my 2nd system now. My 2nd chord DAC, few years ago I used to own the Hugo TT.
Cheers,
Sidchord.jpg

Last edited:
Listing all the DAC's I have experienced in my systems over the past 10 years or so that I can recall:
1. Musical Fidelity XDAC v3
2. Musical Fidelity XDAC v8
3. Benchmark DAC1
------ this is where I switched to a computer as my main source and dropped CD's listening to secondary source
4. Ayon CD2s (cd player with usb input)
5. Ayon Skylla II
6. North Star Impulso
7. North Star Excelsio
8. M2tech evo
9. Wadia 151 Power DAC
10. Wadia 321
11. Meridian explorer
12. Audioquest dragonfly
13. Arcam IR
14. Line Magnetic LM-502CA
15. Exogal comet
16. Chord Hugo TT
17. Cary Audio 200TS
18. Bricasti M1se
19. 3 dac's from Topping incl. d50s
20. Metrum Octave
21. Metrum Amethyst
22. Chord Qutest
It has been a quite a journey from the earliest DAC's, digital has really matured nicely and now it's getting very hard to keep up with the all the new DAC's being introduced. In the early days there were just a handful of DAC manufacturers.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
+1 for the Chord DACs.. I used a 2Qute for 3 years and then bought a Qutest which was just slightly better than the 2Qute and hence sold it.. Testament to the fact as to how good the 2qute is.. I would look out for the successor to the Qutest hopefully in the next 2 years...

There is something to the fgpa implementation on chord dacs which I love. My hugo never fails to surprise me.
I concur. I was planning for a higher end DAC in the future and my shortlisted ones to audition were: DCS Bartok, MSB Discrete, Rockna Wavedream, Holo Audio May. I am going to add the Chord DAVE to this list now.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
@square_wave, could you please describe the sound difference with the Qutest?
I have never compared the Hugo to the qutest so can't compare. I have compared the Hugo TT to the regular Hugo at my home for a week. The Hugo TT is slightly better in terms of resolution and resolving capability when you listen at the sweet spot. The nature of the sound is pretty much the same though. So if you listen from the near vicinity ( off axis ) the differences aren't so much unless you listen very attentively looking for it.

Hi Sid, are you using the supplied wall wart with the qutest or something else ?

We all know psu is heart of any equipment but then qutest is priced accordingly.

Question is that is a psu upgrade there to improve sound

Hi Sid, are you using the supplied wall wart with the qutest or something else ?

We all know psu is heart of any equipment but then qutest is priced accordingly.

Question is that is a psu upgrade there to improve sound
I am using the wall wart Rikhav. I think there are some aftermarket PSU's for Qutest, but I haven't researched yet. Will do after this pandemic gets somewhat better.
Cheers,
Sid

I have always been a strong advocate of acoustic treatments as a necessity and not a luxury for best sound quality in any listening space, and to this end I have treated my room with a plethora of GIK acoustics/Vicoustic products. However getting proper diffusers has always been a challenge mainly due to the cost (especially when importing, as wood ones weigh a lot, so transport cost was turning out to be more than panel itself ). So I settled for polystyrene grid-fusors from GIK. However I am happy to report that with FM Drkrack's help I have been able to source a pair of QRD diffusers made of pinewood from Mr. Navkesh in Hyderabad. The panels itself are superbly made with superior craftmanship, and having placed them at first reflection points in my room I am hearing much better resolution in upper midrange and treble. I am very satisfied and have plans to get 2-4 more panels. Thanks to Drkrack and Navkesh. Navkesh also mentioned that he is making bass traps with activated charcoal filling which is a superior filling material and other panels as well.
Cheers,
Sidqrd1.jpgqrd2.jpgqrd3.jpg

If you want to get in touch with Navkesh, please pm FM Drkrack - https://www.hifivision.com/members/drkrack.85040/, he is the one who organized the whole purchase for me.
Cheers,
Sid
Sid, I'm Glad that It Worked out pretty well in your setup. BTW, I'm yet to encounter a setup which cannot benefit from properly claiberated Qrd diffuser.

This Diffuser has worked out better than any Expensive cable hack I've used earlier. It's very addictive, and surely no going back. The Q7 cleans up the SQ upto 750hz and above, the larger ones reach up to 300hz. We did try different materials initially, MDF though cheaper vibrates too much to add noise of its own with powerful speakers.
FMs interested can contact me, I'll coordinate further.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back