Back to tubes

Would love to read your comparison of the two young guns - the SCM7 and the 3/5.
I had the scm7 v1 Sachin, so my comparison is based on that (and of-course based on my memory as I don't have them any longer)
Though both speakers are roughly same size in cabinet volume, they are entirely different. The scm7 is made of a solid, hard cabinet - and weighs much more because even the drivers weigh a lot, and sounds quite neutral. Due to this cabinet rigidness it behaves like there is no cabinet at all and totally disappears throwing a huge, wide soundstage with precise imaging with superb resolution of details.
The 3/5 on the other hand is a thin walled cabinet, that has a sound signature veering to the warmer side of neutral. Is is tonally richer, but cannot match the scm7 in sound-staging and imaging. and some details are obscured. However due to the tonality it is perhaps more musical sounding.
One has to choose which option they would prefer I guess. I still have the scm 19v2 and generally what I stated for the scm7 applies, though the v2 versions - new tweeter is more refined.
Cheers,
Sid

I had the scm7 v1 Sachin, so my comparison is based on that (and of-course based on my memory as I don't have them any longer)
Though both speakers are roughly same size in cabinet volume, they are entirely different. The scm7 is made of a solid, hard cabinet - and weighs much more because even the drivers weigh a lot, and sounds quite neutral. Due to this cabinet rigidness it behaves like there is no cabinet at all and totally disappears throwing a huge, wide soundstage with precise imaging with superb resolution of details.
The 3/5 on the other hand is a thin walled cabinet, that has a sound signature veering to the warmer side of neutral. Is is tonally richer, but cannot match the scm7 in sound-staging and imaging. and some details are obscured. However due to the tonality it is perhaps more musical sounding.
One has to choose which option they would prefer I guess. I still have the scm 19v2 and generally what I stated for the scm7 applies, though the v2 versions - new tweeter is more refined.
Cheers,
Sid

Two different philosophies - one appealing spatially and the other emotionally. Fascinating! But how do they compare in terms of a) clarity (undistorted sound) and b) accuracy (linearity)?

Just under a week, needed a different flavor for my secondary listening space where for the past 5-6 years I have had Atc scm19, Atc scm11, Atc scm7 & Atc scm19v2. At first I was planning to get an Atc scm20, but of all these I have fond memories of the Atc scm7 which again is a small sealed speaker (though quite different in construction), so decided to go for the 3/5 based on my listening experience with the Harbeth p3esr.
Cheers,
Sid
I have pulled the trigger on the 3/5. However I will not be getting to hear them till the week of July 1st - there is a 5 day transit time. I am basically after the LS3/5A recipe - the classic 3/5 is not an LS3/5A but it is relatively well priced, so went for it. I am curious if the JE Labs 2a3 be able to drive these little puppies. Thank you Sid, first person accounts are very helpful.

I have pulled the trigger on the 3/5. However I will not be getting to hear them till the week of July 1st - there is a 5 day transit time. I am basically after the LS3/5A recipe - the classic 3/5 is not an LS3/5A but it is relatively well priced, so went for it. I am curious if the JE Labs 2a3 be able to drive these little puppies. Thank you Sid, first person accounts are very helpful.
Congrats Beast!
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats Beast!
Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sid,
I see that you have these on a table top on small speaker stands. I intend to use these speakers on a table top, do these mini stands work well? Or is it better to invest in sturdy stands? Do you have a preference between the two set-ups? Where did you source these mini stands?

Hi Sid,
I see that you have these on a table top on small speaker stands. I intend to use these speakers on a table top, do these mini stands work well? Or is it better to invest in sturdy stands? Do you have a preference between the two set-ups? Where did you source these mini stands?
I am using these - https://www.bajaao.com/products/iso...MI7fPVzs6Q6gIVGyQrCh3gDgg0EAYYASABEgJl5vD_BwE
Simply to raise the tweeters to ear level. Also the speakers are located on nightstands by the bed, since this is a bedroom setup - I simply don't have the option of using dedicated speaker stands. If you have the option of using stands in your setup, then do consider open frame stands, rather than solid stands, there is a popular theory that open frame, light mass stands won't restrict flexing of thin walled cabinet speakers. Otherwise table mounting also should work well.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Himadri, actually after listening to the mk1, I wanted to upgrade to a higher model within the metrum range, but unfortunately first of all they are not available in India any more and secondly I heard that even internationally they may be shutting down.
Cheers,
Sid
Metrum will be back
Cheers,
Sid

I recently replaced the topping d50s with a preowned Metrum octave mk1 DAC. I find the Metrum to be much more superior sounding, especially in the mid-range, the thinness I experienced through the topping is totally eliminated - though it is limited to 24/192.
Cheers,
Sid
Just picked up a pre-owned Amethyst to replace the Octave. I am enjoying it, feel that it is more detailed than the Octave.
Cheers,
Sid
amethyst.jpg

Experienced some audio drop outs, unfortunately, with the Amethyst, other than that it sounded superb. Will be getting a new r2r DAC soon for my 2nd system.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Myriad. I am using a pair of Quicksilver Audio Mid Mono monoblocks which are a push pull design and output about 55w a piece with KT88 tubes.
Cheers
Sid
Can you describe the Bass from the Mono blocks? Is it deep and fast?
Thanks

I recently got the MDx board for my Bricasti M1se. Bricasti has become my favorite audio company due to: 1) Superb customer service regardless where you are located - Brian answers emails within 24 hours 2) Upgrade options to make your product current without having to junk your $10k investment everytime a new version is released due to 3) Modular construction 4) Excellent build quality. Coming to the MDx board, DSD is sounding superb now, my Aurender reads the Bricasti and plays back natively. Also there is a general improvement in all resolutions, making this wonderful sounding DAC even better. I was considering a DCS Bartok, but with the service and performance I am getting from Bricasti, I am finding it hard to move away from this brand.
Cheers,
Sidmdx2.jpgmdx1.jpg

Sid, just wanted to know how much difference the ikea bamboo board tweak has made. I see that you already have sturdy equipment along with isolation on some of the equipment. So curious if the bamboo board could still make any difference.

Sid, just wanted to know how much difference the ikea bamboo board tweak has made. I see that you already have sturdy equipment along with isolation on some of the equipment. So curious if the bamboo board could still make any difference.
I feel that the bamboo boards under the equipment rather than placing the equipment directly on the acrylic/plexiglass shelves has resulted in a slight increase in overall resolution of the sound with more focused imaging - just using the acrylic shelves had a slightly duller/smeared sound. Maybe this is due to the characteristics of the bamboo material as a natural vibration inhibiter, as mentioned in various reviews. For the price though this tweak is a no brainer, I think all 5 boards cost approx 4.5k (2 of them are the mid sized ones). Also if one has access to a welding shop, one can build a rack like this one: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm which imo will be equivalent to some high $$$ racks, both in function and appearance. One thing though - I haven't heard anything close to what improvements the reviewer claims in the link.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Also if one has access to a welding shop, one can build a rack like this one: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm which imo will be equivalent to some high $$$ racks, both in function and appearance. One thing though - I haven't heard anything close to what improvements the reviewer claims in the link.
Thanks for that! It can be a cool DIY project, will keep in mind as am planning to change the current rack.

On the improvement, my guess is it might be because your existing isolation itself was really good. So the incremental improvement may not be drastic.

I have burnt in the MDx board for about 20-30 hours now. Wow! I am truly astonished at the level of improvement of my M1se DAC, it is almost as if I got an entirely new DAC. I can hear much more resolution/clarity in the stage, and there is a level of smoothness in the sound that brings everything that much closer to analog - which I guess is the main purpose of a DAC. Even my CD's through my aging Oppo bdp-83 sound superb. After my speaker upgrade to the Wilson Sabrina, this is easily the most significant upgrade to my system in the past 3-4 years (And it cost only approx. $1000). Kudos to Bricasti!.
Cheers,
Sid
I recently got the MDx board for my Bricasti M1se.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back