• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Back to tubes

Rega

himadri

Thanks Himadri, actually after listening to the mk1, I wanted to upgrade to a higher model within the metrum range, but unfortunately first of all they are not available in India any more and secondly I heard that even internationally they may be shutting down.
Cheers,
Sid
Sadly it is true. It seems Cees Ruttenberg ,the man behind metrum is associated with this
This might have the same sound signature as metrum.

essrand

@sidvee Would love to hear more about the Luxman CL38uC. How do you find it? Have you compared it to your previous preamp Rhumba?

I have been eyeing this preamp for sometime now.

sidvee

@sidvee Would love to hear more about the Luxman CL38uC. How do you find it? Have you compared it to your previous preamp Rhumba?

I have been eyeing this preamp for sometime now.
I still have the Backert. The Luxman has a more immediate and forward sound compared to the Backert Rhumba which is laid back. Is one better than the other? I guess it will depend on the speaker, associated components etc, for instance I am preferring the luxman with the wilson sabrinas. Secondly, the well implemented frequency controls - especially the bass setting in the Luxman give this pre. the edge over the Backert (and any other pre for that matter that does not have tone controls) in getting that nth degree control over midbass/low bass which can't be achieved just by speaker positioning and room treatment. Plus it has an excellent tubed phono- section, which I unfortunately do not use. Overall it is a superb full function preamplifier and though I have had many others in my system, I am preferring this the most.
Cheers,
Sid

audiopro

I still have the Backert. The Luxman has a more immediate and forward sound compared to the Backert Rhumba which is laid back. Is one better than the other? I guess it will depend on the speaker, associated components etc, for instance I am preferring the luxman with the wilson sabrinas. Secondly, the well implemented frequency controls - especially the bass setting in the Luxman give this pre. the edge over the Backert (and any other pre for that matter that does not have tone controls) in getting that nth degree control over midbass/low bass which can't be achieved just by speaker positioning and room treatment. Plus it has an excellent tubed phono- section, which I unfortunately do not use. Overall it is a superb full function preamplifier and though I have had many others in my system, I am preferring this the most.
Cheers,
Sid
Is it better than the Lamm pre?

sidvee

Is it better than the Lamm pre?
Yes - in sq it is perhaps the same but in features it is far ahead. The Lamm is a great preamp., undoubtedly, but too spartan/purist for today's setups - main drawback is the lack of a remote. However one feature of the Lamm I miss is the gain setting - imo it is a very important requirement for separates.
Cheers,
Sid

sidvee

I have had at-least a half a dozen pre-amps from well known brands like Conrad Johnson, ARC, Lamm, Luxman, Parasound and lesser know brands like Backert, Modwright etc in the past decade. All of these have been under $10,000. Was any one of them significantly better in sound quality than the other - Absolutely not? Did any one of them have a better synergy with my existing components at that time- Absolutely yes. Did all of them have the features I wanted? Absolutely not? Will I use a DAC direct into my amp? No (Won't say absolutely, because going direct has a certain measure of increase in resolution but somehow I hear a bit of loss of musicality in going direct). So this is where I am currently - own two tube based preamps. each costing under $10,000 - the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 and the Luxman CL-38uc. Don't see any new additions - at-least for tube pre's in the next couple of years.
Cheers,
Sid