• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Back to tubes

essrand

Hi Bhaskar,
The M1se has a very detailed sound without sounding cold or clinical. It can resolve the minutest details in the music, which tend to get muddled over by other DAC's. Additionally it is very neutral and most importantly very musical. Personally I didn't find any weakness in the sound, for me it is the best DAC I have heard at the $10,000 price point. Other DAC's I heard before getting this was the Chord DAVE (having owned the HUGO TT this was a logical step up), the Schiit Yggdrasil, the DCS Debussy, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference & the playback designs Merlot. I think the DAVE is also an excellent DAC, and I would have got that if I didn't get this.
I never owned a DAC at this price point before this but some of the DAC's I had prior to this (at various price points) are the Ayon Skylla II, Chord Hugo TT and the Cary Audio 200ts. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Sid
Partly based on your recommendation and zillion of other praises across the internet for Bricasti, I bought the Bricasti M12 to serve as a DAC and preamp.

It should arrive soon, I am super-excited.

Cheers,
Bhaskar

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

Rajeshh

@sidvee Your wonderful review of the Wilson Sabrina made me go and audition it. I must say I was blown away by the sound coming from a relatively small speaker. The bass extension & the dynamics was something else. Startling at times with "Hugh Masekela- Stimela"
The speakers were driven by a Pass INT60 & a CD transport.
I auditioned the Sopra N2 right after, I have heard them quite a few times before, this time I wanted to have a back to back comparison. The Sopra's mid range is outstanding- hypnotic and I also feel that it has very smooth highs & punchy mid bass.
Outstanding speakers both.

sidvee

@sidvee Your wonderful review of the Wilson Sabrina made me go and audition it. I must say I was blown away by the sound coming from a relatively small speaker. The bass extension & the dynamics was something else. Startling at times with "Hugh Masekela- Stimela"
Thanks Rajesh. Yes I agree, for me it is the best speaker I have had in my listening room - it does require a lot of time/energy for proper positioning, but once that is done it is pure magic. I am off the upgrade wagon for now. And even if I consider future upgrades, I don't think I will ever move away from Wilson Audio.
Cheers,
Sid

square_wave

The speakers were driven by a Pass INT60 & a CD transport.
I auditioned the Sopra N2 right after, I have heard them quite a few times before, this time I wanted to have a back to back comparison. The Sopra's mid range is outstanding- hypnotic and I also feel that it has very smooth highs & punchy mid bass.
Outstanding speakers both.
Will the in60 drive them comfortably ? Isn't that a 60 watter ?

square_wave

@square_wave the INT60 was able to drive them authoritatively, with great extension & dynamics.
I only saw the needle even move, for the Stimela song.
Wow. That song has very low recording levels to accommodate explosive dynamics swings. Most amps struggle. This is good information. Thanks. Another such recording is Tin pan alley by Stevie Ray Vaughan

sidvee

On a recent trip to US I picked up a Rhumba 1.3 preamplifier from Backert labs. It is sounding excellent with my Bricasti DAC and Symphonic line amplifier. I had extensive communication with Andy Tebbe of Backert and his deep knowledge and suggestions helped me to make my decision. For a relatively inexpensive product, it is certainly an excellent preamp. and once I rolled in some NOS RCA cleartop 12au7's it is sounding very good indeed.
Cheers,
Sidbackert.jpg

sidvee

Superlatives like "Best I have heard" etc. are quite common while describing ones Audio components, but I genuinely feel that the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 is the best sounding pre-amplifier that I have heard in my system. Prior pre's included Lamm ll2.1 deluxe, Audio Research LS26, Conrad johnson LS17 mkii, Music First Audio classic v2 and Parasound JC2 (and many DAC/preamp combos). All this at a $4000 price range. Every time I start a listening session I am just glued there for a couple of hours. While I am used to long listening sessions this is at an entirely different level. It could be down to specs. such as the low 75 ohm output impedance that mates well with my SL Kraft amp. or various other firsts they claim in their circuitry. Their $10k Rythm has been favorably compared to pre's costing upwards of $25k. Fantastic company as well, their customer service is amongst the best I have experienced.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

sidvee

I recently got a Cambridge Audio topaz Am10 for a small/basic third system in my living room. For an inexpensive amp., it is sounding surprisingly good,topaz.jpg and I am very happy with it.
Cheers,
Sid

SPONSORED ADS