Back to tubes

Yes I agree, the range of equipment in my 2nd system are definitely more accessible and VFM factor is much higher, especially now with the eroded value of the INR. Consequently upgrades in my main system are going to be slower and more spaced out. I am now looking at a long term plan of speaker upgrade next. Some interesting higher end options available in India now. Other than Wilson, this is my favorite brand in the higher end.
Cheers,
Sid
I don't know if this is correct. But I read somewhere, that the price qouted for a pair of rockport speakers, also includes a complimentary fork lift to move them :D

I don't know if this is correct. But I read somewhere, that the price qouted for a pair of rockport speakers, also includes a complimentary fork lift to move them :D
Lol, when I got my current Sabrina's I had to have 3 helpers help unload from the delivery truck at 43 kg each, I can certainly imagine I would need at least 1 more for the Atria II (70 kgs each) or the Wilson Audio Yvette (80 kgs each) which are the models on my radar at present.
Cheers,
Sid

The Swara is still breaking in (recommended - 100 hrs by Siva), but I can already hear the tube characteristics of warmth and lushness.
Cheers,
Sid
I believe my AP swara has crossed the recommended break in - and I am very impressed with its capabilities. For the asking price, I think it is a superb pre-amp.
Cheers,
Sid

I wanted an in expensive power amp. for my third system and after a bit of research and reviews I decided on the Sabaj a20a. I have been listening to it for the past few days driven by the swara pre, and I am quite impressed with what this little inexpensive amp. is able to do. It is driving my spendors with authority and the bass extension is superb. Also there is none of the coolness or lean presentation that were endemic to class D, perhaps due to the use of tube pre, but regardless Class D has indeed come a long way. Of-course at under 20k there are some compromises, I notice that with dense instrumentation in the music the amp. looses a bit of grip and resolution, but overall it will be tough to beat this amp. at this price range or even higher. There has been some concern on these amps., reliability, so that remain to be seen, have my fingers crossed. However from a visual perspective this is one of the better designs I have seen recently amongst the ubiquitous rectangular boxes that proliferate cheap and cheerful Chinese products.
Cheers,
Sidsabaj.jpg

Sid (@sidvee) I have a question in my mind. For someone who is used to such high fidelity from his first system, how do you still manage to enjoy your second and third systems? Do you use them differently (say for background listening while working etc?) Doesn’t your mind miss the detail and refinement that it must be used to?

Last edited:
Sid (@sidvee) I have a question in my mind. For someone who is used to such high fidelity from his first system, how do you still manage to enjoy your second and third systems? Do you use them differently (say for background listening while working etc?) Doesn’t your mind miss the detail and refinement that it must be used to?
Good question @ Sachin. To be very honest, though I enjoy high fidelity sound reproduction, for me the main pleasure is getting lost in my favorite music, which is mostly small ensemble jazz - trio's or quartets preferably, and which I do at-least 1 hour each day and more on weekends. And to that extent while I am enjoying the music, then many times the equipment doesn't matter. Of-course that doesn't mean that I can enjoy setups with heavy distortion or highly tilted frequency balance, but give me a decently balanced system, and I can/will listen for hours. So I try to do my best, in each system that I assemble, that there is that balance (to my perception at-least). Secondly the reason for these many systems is the fact that all my rooms (including my main system which also has HT components), are used by other family members, so on a given day I cannot say which system may be available for listening. Ultimately though, as much as possible I prefer to listen in my main setup, but if-not, I derive pleasure in my other simple systems also. If I had the means, I would make all my systems equal my main, but unfortunately I cannot afford that.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
It is driving my spendors with authority and the bass extension is superb.
@sidvee has Sabaj replaced your O&B ss2150?

The Infineon and the Axign chips have been successful in "smoothening" the sound. The typical Class D "dryness, sterile" quality isn't present anymore.

There have been reliability concerns with the Sabaj; hopefully, they'll be resolved as soon as possible because they have tremendous promise in the HiFi market with these latest generation chips. I strongly hope that other forum users will listen to these contemporary Class Ds so they can experience their potency firsthand and lose their prejudice against the category. The new Marantz and the NAD lines switching to Class D should provide enough inducement to do so.

Impressions of the Sabaj A30a

@sidvee has Sabaj replaced your O&B ss2150?

The Infineon and the Axign chips have been successful in "smoothening" the sound. The typical Class D "dryness, sterile" quality isn't present anymore.

There have been reliability concerns with the Sabaj; hopefully, they'll be resolved as soon as possible because they have tremendous promise in the HiFi market with these latest generation chips. I strongly hope that other forum users will listen to these contemporary Class Ds so they can experience their potency firsthand and lose their prejudice against the category. The new Marantz and the NAD lines switching to Class D should provide enough inducement to do so.

Impressions of the Sabaj A30a
@aeroash, indeed, your review of the A30A, was the one that prompted me to look at Sabaj in the first place, thanks for that. I bought the A20A for my living room system to drive Paradigm studio 20v3, but was curious to try in my other system, so it is not a replacement for the O&B. Yes I agree with your assessment on new gen class D. In fact I owned a few nuprime amps. previously and thoroughly enjoyed them, specifically the ST10. I really like the A20A. I will spend some time with it, and if it proves reliable I will buy another to use as bridged monos.
Cheers,
Sid

This is my almost vintage system in my living room for casual listening. The highlight of this system is the Cyrus 3 integrated which is probably 25 years old. Not only is it a superb integrated amp., it has a killer pre section easily comparable to current pre's in the 75k - 1 lac range. I don't listen to this system much, but when I do I always have a smile on my face, the ease with which this amp. handles the Paradigm studio 20v3 speakers. To me this proves that, it doesn't take much to have an excellent system - there are some real gems out there - regardless of age.
Cheers,
Sid
I just added a Wiim mini to my living room system recently. I am really astounded by what this little Rs.7000 streamer is doing in this system. Connected with an optical cable to my cheapo topping e30 dac, qobuz hi-rez is sounding superb. I just finished a 2 hour listening session today. Even bigger story, the outstanding support I received for this component. When I first installed it, I saw that the firmware update was failing. So I contacted them via e-mail, and presto 30 min later, my unit was upgraded to latest firmware.
I am already planning to get a wiim pro when it is available easily. To be honest, with the inexpensive Chi-fi components available today, one cannot complain that sensible hi-fi is hi priced anymore.
Cheers,
SidIMG_20221208_180512.jpg

With that view in mind - a little bit of research kept throwing up the name Aniket Das on our forum. Fortuitously he posted his recent build a few months ago and I was intrigued enough to contact him and eventually ordered his amp. (ss2150). It took a couple of months but it was finally shipped out (very professionally packed btw).

The unit I got is a standard 17" width but deep, and more importantly heavy. Ok heavy doesn't mean better sound, but right there - to me at-least is an indication of quality. I hooked it up to my 2nd system with a Topping pre 90 pre, and I was very impressed by what I heard. Impressed enough that - out of the box - cold, I heard the amp. for 2 hours straight playing back qobuz new jazz releases. For the past few days I continued listening and I am even more impressed. This amp. does mid range superbly, but does both frequency extremes very well, and particularly digs deep into the bass. Tonally it is very balanced and has a neutral presentation.

The icing on the cake is a gain switch on the back, one feature that I find indispensable to match to pre-amps, but sadly absent on 99% of power amps out there - at any price range. However the biggest surprise is the pricing - No I won't disclose it here - simply because I prefer you ask Aniket directly, but let me tell you it is the best bargain for a power amp. you are likely to find. For now I am thoroughly enjoying it, and more importantly - to me - I feel Aniket is a real asset to our hobby. Hopefully he does very well, and I am likely to be his repeat customer for some other upcoming projects I have in mind. Attached -some pics of the O&B SS2150 in action in my 2nd system.
Cheers,
Sid
I recently had my O&B ss2150 upgraded to better parts - caps, power supply, internal wiring etc. With a few hours break in, I can hear better resolution of details and a more expansive soundstage. The frequency extremes have improved, especially higher frequencies - they are much more smoother now - I just finished a 2 hour listening session. Overall this is a worthwhile upgrade, one should definitely consider this option.
Cheers,
Sid

I recently had my O&B ss2150 upgraded to better parts - caps, power supply, internal wiring etc. With a few hours break in, I can hear better resolution of details and a more expansive soundstage. The frequency extremes have improved, especially higher frequencies - they are much more smoother now - I just finished a 2 hour listening session. Overall this is a worthwhile upgrade, one should definitely consider this option.
Cheers,
Sid
Means a lot coming from you , thanks a lot.

Regards
Aniket Das

I just added a Wiim mini to my living room system recently. I am really astounded by what this little Rs.7000 streamer is doing in this system. Connected with an optical cable to my cheapo topping e30 dac, qobuz hi-rez is sounding superb. I just finished a 2 hour listening session today. Even bigger story, the outstanding support I received for this component. When I first installed it, I saw that the firmware update was failing. So I contacted them via e-mail, and presto 30 min later, my unit was upgraded to latest firmware.
I am already planning to get a wiim pro when it is available easily. To be honest, with the inexpensive Chi-fi components available today, one cannot complain that sensible hi-fi is hi priced anymore.
Cheers,
SidView attachment 73536
This is quite an encouraging review. I have already ordered the WiiM pro to be delivered to my friend in USA. But hope it is delivered before he leaves for India as the delivery date is very close to his departure.

This is quite an encouraging review. I have already ordered the WiiM pro to be delivered to my friend in USA. But hope it is delivered before he leaves for India as the delivery date is very close to his departure.
Wiim pro should be better - at-least from the connectivity point of view with coax out and option of wired lan. I am planning to get one as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Cheers,
Sid
I got a wiim pro over the weekend. Subjectively I feel the coax output is better than the optical of the mini. Regardless, excellent streamer when you consider the low price.
Cheers,
Sid
wiim_pro.jpg

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back