Back to tubes

Looks really nice! Just curious - what this that thing in the middle of the CD-2s and the Audio Research? Is it a cassette player?

I'm also curious about your opinions on the Audire power conditioner. Is it any good?

Cheers!

Thanks ROC - Actually that is a Marantz SA8260 - used only for playing my collection of 30 SACD's. I am really saddened that SACD never really took off in a big way - it was a really promising format, but I just hold on to the player because it plays them very well and I keep buying SACD's occasionally as well.
Regarding the Audire Zephyr - I am convinced that it works, very well indeed - After introducing it into my system I noticed blacker background and consequently increased dynamics, better and tighter low frequency extension - I tried the SL RG7 direct and through the Zephyr without any mitigation of bass or other detrimental effects. I was contemplating a Shunyata Hydra 8, but I feel that I am getting significantly better value with the Zephyr. IMHO it is a sleeper product that is yet to be discovered by the rest other than a few itrepid members here on HFV. BTW it weighs all of 45-50 kgs and in all my years in this hobby it is the heaviest #%@&i*! thing I have ever lifted, all the more tougher because it does not have any handles or other lifting aids. BTW when can we see your system in all its glory - eagerly anticipating that!
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Great looking setup Sid and considering that the cables you have upgraded from are them self so lovely, I can understand how good the Kimber cable must be.

Some updated system pics. The Kimber select KS3033 spkr. cables are simply outstanding, and IMO one of the best upgrades in cables that I have made.
Cheers,
Sid

The Harbeth's look gorgeous. I am sure they sound great with the upstream components. Congratulations on your recent purchases.

One curious question, do I see a center channel speaker??? Seems out of place in such a great setup.

Great looking setup Sid and considering that the cables you have upgraded from are them self so lovely, I can understand how good the Kimber cable must be.

Thanks Capt. Yes the PS audio xstream reference are excellent cables. I noticed that the Harbeths thrives on high purity copper cables, and as I understand the kimber select is the pinnacle of this application. Consequently they have all the strengths of the PS audio and futher refine the sound.
Cheers,
Sid

The Harbeth's look gorgeous. I am sure they sound great with the upstream components. Congratulations on your recent purchases.

One curious question, do I see a center channel speaker??? Seems out of place in such a great setup.

Thank you kindly Marsilians - yes there appears to be a good synergy with all the components and the Harbeths, but regardless the Harbeths don't seem too fussy during system matching.
Yes the ctr. speaker is part of a 5.1 paradigm studio series set up, the L&R studio 20 v3's are behind the Harbeths against the wall. Since it is a dual purpose room - for watching movies as well, it was a compromise I had to strike. All the HT components are entirely separate though and only share the space.
Cheers,
Sid

My current speaker collection:
from L to R: harbeth Shl5, B&W N805, Paradigm Studio 40v3, Dynaudio Focus 110:). Additionally I am using a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3's as my front channel HT speakers. Aspiring for a pair of the new Proac Tablettes & ATC SCM19:licklips: and maybe a small floorstander as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• P1010175.jpg
    P1010175.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
My current speaker collection:
from L to R: harbeth Shl5, B&W N805, Paradigm Studio 40v3, Dynaudio Focus 110:). Additionally I am using a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3's as my front channel HT speakers. Aspiring for a pair of Proac Tablettes & ATC SCM19:licklips:
Cheers,
Sid

That is a huge showcase of all top brands... General word and finding from experts is if the speakers are kept aside it will not create sound stage, how about your views on that ? since you have kept all side by side.:)

That is a huge showcase of all top brands... General word and finding from experts is if the speakers are kept aside it will not create sound stage, how about your views on that ? since you have kept all side by side.:)

Thanks Srini - I had some time today so I put all of them in 1 location:). You can see my listening setup if you scroll up in this thread.
BTW I wonder how one goes to a dealer - wherein all the speakers are displayed as I have done and determines soundstage.
food-for-thought - no!.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sid,

I followed your thread from initial when u started, so that only asked the question about soundstage:p Suddenly everything is lined up so thought anything you have find it interesting:) Regarding dealers on our request they will try to pull front or for somebody dont know about it, it is an other piece of 5.1

Hi Sid,

I followed your thread from initial when u started, so that only asked the question about soundstage:p Suddenly everything is lined up so thought anything you have find it interesting:) Regarding dealers on our request they will try to pull front or for somebody dont know about it, it is an other piece of 5.1

You are right Srini - If you were to squeeze speakers as shown - it will be a detriment to lateral soundstage and with all those speakers which are partially hollow may cause undesirable resonance as well. So definitely not recommended.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Recent upgrades to my main 2 channel setup:
1. Added the Lamm LL2.1 deluxe preamplifier - replacing the ARC LS26.
2. Added computer audio with a m2tech Hiface evo USB to Coax converter
3. DH labs silver sonic D-75 digital coax cable to replace the tara labs rsc.
4. Audio Art Power 1 classic - power cable to replace the audio art power 1.
5. DIY multi-element platforms with italian marble/mdf plinths and hardware from Magma to replace the usher rack.
Impending upgrades:
Music PC - vacillating between Macmini or a windows laptop to replace my basic and crappy hp netbook.
Long term upgrade:
Taking a long hard look at my Symphonic line RG7 mk4. Hoping to find an amp. that beats it - which is going to be a challenge.
Really enjoying the system as it is now. The Lamm is a superb Pre. The best I have owned. Regret I didn't get into Lamm before. The other tweak that really helped was the italian marble and mdf platforms. Experimented with granite but this has the best sound.
All is quiet on the HT front - no planned upgrades as all the budget is being consumed by 2 channel:sad:
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Thanks Pratim. I have been auditioning amps. for the past few months. Unfortunately nothing seems to bettering the SL. On a recent visit to US I heard Pass Labs. xa60.5 monos. Great amps. but not better than the SL - a sideways move at best. I also heard the Lamm m2.2, which to my ears sounded better but at $25k waay beyond budget. So the search is on.
Cheers,
Sid

2. Added computer audio with a m2tech Hiface evo USB to Coax converter

Impending upgrades:
Music PC - vacillating between Macmini or a windows laptop to replace my basic and crappy hp netbook.

Sid,
You should take the plunge and go for a PC or Mac Mini.

PC - you will need a good sound card, something at least the equal of an Asus Xonar or Juli@. Or better still an RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 but that's at least 3 times the cost of the other two cards. Or even better an RME AES 32e. That will set you back quite a bit (say 5x of Xonar). But you will also need to factor in a good DAC. A proper music PC deserves something better than an m2tech HiFace. Ideally, invest in a sound card that has AES/EBU output and a DAC that has AES/EBU input. AES/EBU is the professional version of S/PDIF. In my limited experience, the host PC need not even be well-specced as long as the sound card is good. Only caveat is that the PC must be designed to be silent running.

I am not familiar with Mac platform but I do believe that something like an Amarra player and a Spatial Computer will beat the crap out of most similarly priced or even higher-priced digital sources. Sridhar's Macbook Pro running Spatial Computer sounded awesome to my ears. Perhaps the equal of the Ayon CD2 which he had on demo at that time.

Plus you need to set aside some fund for a good player like JRiver (if you opt for Windows PC).

Addendum: in my modest setup, a music PC, a CDP and turntable(s) reside together happily:)

Sid,
PC - you will need a good sound card, something at least the equal of an Asus Xonar or Juli@. Or better still an RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 but that's at least 3 times the cost of the other two cards. Or even better an RME AES 32e. That will set you back quite a bit (say 5x of Xonar). But you will also need to factor in a good DAC. A proper music PC deserves something better than an m2tech HiFace.

Thanks jls001,
I am not too savvy with computer audio - just began dipping my toes in. Anyways most of the reviews on the m2 tech hiface evo are very postive with respect to internal sound cards. Not too sure what an internal sound card costs but the evo is a $500 unit and it has the option of adding external PS and external clock to top out at close to $2000. Of-course I have not done any direct comparison so cannot state with conviction or first hand audition but what I have heard is not too far off of the CD sound produced by my Ayon Cd2s. BTW the Ayon CD2s has a digitial i/p so that is serving as my DAC now with the m2tech hiface evo doing the USB-coax conversion. IMO if I have to better this sound I have to look at DAC in the $5k range which I am considering. Anyways at present my weak link is the netbook so I am considering either a laptop (easiest and flexible), music pc (hard - as I am not handy with PC's) or a mac mini (easy).

Ideally, invest in a sound card that has AES/EBU output and a DAC that has AES/EBU input. AES/EBU is the professional version of S/PDIF. In my limited experience, the host PC need not even be well-specced as long as the sound card is good. Only caveat is that the PC must be designed to be silent running.
In my research what I have gathered is that fire wire is the most superior connectivity format and as such in my limited knowledge will limit the use to a mac based system. My next upgrades on the horizon include potential of a Weiss DAC2 with firewire. Another Hyderabad Audio enthusiast has recently upgraded to a Prism Orpheus pro DAc with fire wire and has rave reviews, which I plan to experience soon.

Cheers,
Sid

Earlier when I was contemplating using a computer as a source (instead of a cdp) I was tempted by Mac+Weiss/Berkeley+Amarra. If I had gone that way I would probably have opted for a Mac OS-firewire-Weiss DAC.

Sonic Studio : Amarra and Amarra Hifi

Sonic Studio : Pro Audio : soundBlade Product Overview

Your music room looks very inviting. I really liked the low level platforms and the midnight blue of the front wall. But I would have preferred a carpet, which was a lighter shade of the blue on the wall!

Last edited:
Earlier when I was contemplating using a computer as a source (instead of a cdp) I was tempted by Mac+Weiss/Berkeley+Amarra. If I had gone that way I would probably have opted for a Mac OS-firewire-Weiss DAC.

Sonic Studio : Amarra and Amarra Hifi

Sonic Studio : Pro Audio : soundBlade Product Overview

Your music room looks very inviting. I really liked the low level platforms and the midnight blue of the front wall. But I would have preferred a carpet, which was a lighter shade of the blue on the wall!

Thank you kindly, Ajay for your comments on the room. Unfortunately I do not have a very good perception for colors - my better half does it a lot better but I do not let her anywhere near this room other than to watch movies, lest the man cave gets taken over :lol:. The single level platform design was by necessity as a 2 or 3 tier rack was impeding the pull down screen when we watch movies. I also concur with the direction you had considered for your computer audio. I am leaning more and more towards fire wire and a DAC capable of that with a MAC as a source.
Cheers,
Sid

2nd setup

My second setup in the bedroom. Source components are all musical fidelity with a XRay v3 CD player, XDAC v3 DAC and x10v3tube buffer along with a XpSU v3 as the power supply (this was the highly regarded Musical fidelity triple threat DAC system a few years ago and IMO still one the the best DAC's under $2k). Amplification components are Parasound JC2 pre and bel canto s300 amp., and speakers are ATC scm 19. The ATC's work very well close the rear wall. Some soundstage depth is sacrificed but the lateral soundstage is just superb. Imaging is top notch and the sound itself is very smooth & mellow with the famous ATC neutrality. They work quite well in my untreated bedroom which is 18' x 14'. An excellent speaker period.:clapping:. Cabling is all by Signal Cable - silver resolution. I am looking at the option of getting a decent integrated amp. to consolidate rack space down the road.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Back