Bass Traps

it is important to remember that the painting or the picture by itself isn't anything special - maybe a print on a canvas... the important things are the frames / shape and the stuffing / absorber material.

Nothing that cant be done as a lockdown project and for much cheaper.

Aural exchange ( for example ) charges Rs 12000 for 1 hour of home visit that too with no measurements etc... In this price one can be up and running with 2 or 3 panels - for a start.

why leak foreign exchange when it can be got done by a carpenter in your city ?

brickbats welcome... :)

Agree with you oldmonk sir... My thoughts exactly as GIK is too expensive.. Also I already have enough canvas prints with framing.. Now just need to stuff absorber material behind then and experiment.. Worst situation, they wont work properly but I would have nice prints to hang...

Agree with you oldmonk sir... My thoughts exactly as GIK is too expensive.. Also I already have enough canvas prints with framing.. Now just need to stuff absorber material behind then and experiment.. Worst situation, they wont work properly but I would have nice prints to hang...

remember to go for 8 inch thick or 6 inch thick

lesser than this - i am not very sure

more the thickness & larger the dimensions... the better for the LF to be controlled.

typically 2 ft / 2.5 ft wide by 4 ft tall can be made ( 6 or 8 inch thick - prefer 8 inch )

may buy the material from aural exchange website or equivalent.

if you dont have such big prints - look online - there is a faridabad or Ghaziabad company selling prints and they ( used to ) customise as well - obviously larger prints will cost more.

In any case all this will be cheaper than GiK but not as cheap as 8 nos 1 cent coins :p

And do you know what speakers are they driving?
Salk sound top of the line model.

remember to go for 8 inch thick or 6 inch thick

lesser than this - i am not very sure

more the thickness & larger the dimensions... the better for the LF to be controlled.

typically 2 ft / 2.5 ft wide by 4 ft tall can be made ( 6 or 8 inch thick - prefer 8 inch )

may buy the material from aural exchange website or equivalent.

if you dont have such big prints - look online - there is a faridabad or Ghaziabad company selling prints and they ( used to ) customise as well - obviously larger prints will cost more.

In any case all this will be cheaper than GiK but not as cheap as 8 nos 1 cent coins :p

Measurements and environment friendliness are 2 things that comes to mind when considering DIY for acoustics. Measurements are easy to figure out. But many of these materials are not so great for health and brands like GIK come with some certifications. Anyone knows the details surrounding this ?

For my own bass traps, I bought rockwool (Roxul) which is environmentally friendly and act as a fire retardant both are the essential properties of the materials that GIK uses.

For typical, absorber type panels, its easy to DIY and I ended up building quite a few. However, building pressure based traps or narrowband traps require a lot more expertise and thats where professional ones might be a better choice.

For ex. the tuned traps for GIK come for 40 and 80 hz and if one built it using absorbers it would be almost impossible.

Measurements and environment friendliness are 2 things that comes to mind when considering DIY for acoustics. Measurements are easy to figure out. But many of these materials are not so great for health and brands like GIK come with some certifications. Anyone knows the details surrounding this ?

dig around a bit on the Aural exchange website...

Mr @panditji has replied as well.. and Mr @sud98

safe for health - material - are available..

Asutosh of Aural Exchange is a fairly knowledgeable and helpful person. Doesn't indulge in hard sell. He can surely provide information on health/environmental concerns and also guide the current on the most appropriate solution

Asutosh of Aural Exchange is a fairly knowledgeable and helpful person. Doesn't indulge in hard sell. He can surely provide information on health/environmental concerns and also guide the current on the most appropriate solution

I second that. Ashutosh does not hard sell. Recently had a conversation with him regarding room acoustics (I was hearing lot of echo and some bass boom in my room). He did a detailed room analysis remotely with room dimensions and pics I sent. He then went on to suggest increasing furniture in the room or listed some products that can be purchased starting from DIY to costlier solutions. At no point did he insist on purchasing products from his website.

In the end keeping my budget in mind I went ahead with about 60 percent of what he suggested.

Another good point-for people concerned about looks/asthetics is if you happen to purchase absorption panels of certain colour, they send sample colour that you have selected by air courier so that you can check it in person at home. The products that i purchased have not reached me as yet, can update once the work is complete if anyone is interested.

I have found dense polyester fiber is the best bass absorption, plain foam has almost never worked for me.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back