• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Bass tube vs subwoofer

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series

corElement

Hi,

I was wonderring, is there a major difference in type of bass these two deliver.

I like playful tight bass and not flat THOP THOP, more like long HOOMPH's

hard to describe, anyone getting what I'm asking?

magma

Hi,

I was wonderring, is there a major difference in type of bass these two deliver.

I like playful tight bass and not flat THOP THOP, more like long HOOMPH's

hard to describe, anyone getting what I'm asking?

Home audio rarely sees a bass tube.
Bass tubes are more popular in cars where people prfer the extended HOOMP's that you are talking about
the bass is extended and described as more "fun"

A sealed sub box generally offers a quicker reponse . you should know exactly what you want
i have seen many a persons disappointed with a sealed box in the car since their aim was the "fun" - they wanted the bass you can hear 100metres way

if your aim is only to catch the lower frequencies in the music
get a ported or sealed sub box

you need to exactly tell us in whiich environment you want a sub and exactly what music preferences you have for us to advice further

corElement

my room is 12x14 and my towers already go down to 35hz but I'd really love to go lower and still be a little playful and not sharp. The only reason why im even thinking a bass tube is cuz they're cheaper - I'm broke :p a proper subwoofer costs 18k + :( dont want 200w mark stuff, even if it is 200watt it needs to have body and not just frequency.

marsilians

If you mean you are looking for a cylindrical sub vs. a boxed sub then its actually a better option in terms of placement and footprint as its very forgiving.

Some good models are Anthony Gallo TR-2 or SVS PC13-Ultra.

If you are looking for bass tubes such as a bazooka or a blaupunkt, I have not idea or experience!

magma

you want a bass tube for home use that too it should go below 35 realistically! and be under 10k !
well
first i hope you are looking only for movies because a bass tube in that price range will only screw upi your music rather than giving you the low notes

Also using a car audio bass tube for home will require DC current at 13-14 volts
do you have such a supply?

i would advice just getting a base model Jamo powered sub
it will keep you happy for 14k odd
visit your ezone or vijay sales to hear it