Batery powered DIY CNC phono stage

Thanks @Bloom@83 for CNC phono review. But let us know your gadgets TT, AMP etc in the chain. Do you use the CNC with battery? And if CNC sounds better than Schiit Mani ?
Hi

My turntable is the Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red cart(which I’ll soon upgrade to Blue ). Also a custom cork mat from @rikhav .

Speakers are Elac Debut B6. No need to describe it as it has created a revolution in the speaker industry. :)

Amp I already mentioned- PM5005 Marantz. Cables and ICs from DAC.

Yes , it is better than Schiit Mani. Better defined bass and midrange. Mani has other advantages like easy gain changes but SQ wise CNC trumps it. It has a power adapter provided , not battery that was used earlier.

Hi

My turntable is the Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red cart(which I’ll soon upgrade to Blue ). Also a custom cork mat from @rikhav .

Speakers are Elac Debut B6. No need to describe it as it has created a revolution in the speaker industry. :)

Amp I already mentioned- PM5005 Marantz. Cables and ICs from DAC.

Yes , it is better than Schiit Mani. Better defined bass and midrange. Mani has other advantages like easy gain changes but SQ wise CNC trumps it. It has a power adapter provided , not battery that was used earlier.
Thanks for mentioning the equipments you are using. Unfortunately, I am not getting the kind of output from CNC phono for which I thought to take your valuable reviews. Also if you dont mind I will suggest you to consider a more powerful amp for the speaker.

Thanks for mentioning the equipments you are using. Unfortunately, I am not getting the kind of output from CNC phono for which I thought to take your valuable reviews. Also if you dont mind I will suggest you to consider a more powerful amp for the speaker.
Yes upgrading the amp is already in my near future plan. Not sure why you aren’t getting similar satisfactory output from CNC phono. Because I also know someone with quite high end gear (Technics 1200 mk2 , Bowers and Wilkins BS , custom built tube preamp costing close to 45K ) who has both the Mani and the CNC phono but uses only the CNC.

The 3 biggest (and most relevant) variables in any home audition are (1) the listening tastes of the user, (2) the chain of gear and (3) what is played for the audition - quality of recording and even genre of music. Keeping these 3 factors in mind, we can only take a review of gear performance as a guideline and a reference point, and not the conclusion. I have used a lot of NAD amps with terrific phono-stages including the famed NAD 1000, the NAD 106 and the globally acclaimed NAD 3020 and 1020A. I found my versions of the CNC to perform better (and i made some really maveric versions :) which nobody will actually even attempt). However I was quick to realize that I was biased as (1) I built them and (2) my management brains were looking at things from a value/rupee spent perspective :). So one day while listening to a record with my wife around, on the CNC, I asked her what she thought about the sound. She said it sounded dull. To please her (and this is considered a blasphemous tactic in the audiophile phonostage world) I simply turned all the individual switches on the dip-switch to off-mode (thereby disconnecting all the input load balancing resistors) and the whole thing brightened up. My CNC phonostage stayed that way for as long as I had it and all who used to visit said it sounded harsh. However my wife and I loved the bright sound, especially when listening to country music and AOR.

Last edited:
Another one completed today. Enclosure provided by Nishant
YSHsqs1.jpg

J3jOWoi.jpg

Qsg9RKT.jpg

XqfLy5b.jpg

nx6Eemh.jpg

kZUAheG.jpg

Regards
Sachin

Hi
After a long time , Please tell which Op Amp found perfect sound for cnc phono. I am still using AD823ANZ and not tried any other.

Few days back I was able to build this after Sachin provided me with the parts.
I have been using this for quite a few days, and I absolutely love it!
This sounds terrific in my chain right now. The details it extracted and vocals are joy to listen.

Prior to this I used a project tubebox ds2 phono, my chain contains a R8 tube amp maybe due to that the synergy was missing. It was good but I felt the details and top end was way too soft and rolled off.

After speaking with many FMs I got hold of Sachin and he sent me the parts.

Getting back to soldering was fun, it's a easy phono to build. Sounds very open and detailed. Doesn't emphasize in any way, but brings out more to the table.
I even have a few op amps which I will change in a few months, but this is a really really good phono and sounds wonderful.

Do give it a try if you are looking for a phono, may not be everyones cup of tea. But it will surely impress you.
btw I am not using it with Battery now

Last edited:
Few days back I was able to build this after Sachin provided me with the parts.
I have been using this for quite a few days, and I absolutely love it!
This sounds terrific in my chain right now. The details it extracted and vocals are joy to listen.

Prior to this I used a project tubebox ds2 phono, my chain contains a R8 tube amp maybe due to that the synergy was missing. It was good but I felt the details and top end was way too soft and rolled off.

After speaking with many FMs I got hold of Sachin and he sent me the parts.

Getting back to soldering was fun, it's a easy phono to build. Sounds very open and detailed. Doesn't emphasize in any way, but brings out more to the table.
I even have a few op amps which I will change in a few months, but this is a really really good phono and sounds wonderful.

Do give it a try if you are looking for a phono, may not be everyones cup of tea. But it will surely impress you.
btw I am not using it with Battery now

Excellent video.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back