Batery powered DIY CNC phono stage

I have a long story to tell. I purchased a CNC kit and a PowerSupply kit from Sachin. Soldered the components on CNC PCB but only one channel ran with clear sound, the other resulted in no sound. I tried but couldn't repair. I approached Sachin. He asked me to send the kit back alongwith PS. Sachin painstakingly reassembled the kit for me again on a new board, soldered PS components for me, fit the CNC in a white box with all RCAs, switch and connectors (2 nos) and shipped it back to me - guess what - in a perfectly working condition. I am very happy.
Last but not the least one has to praise the outstanding quality of Sachin regarding taking care of every nitty gritty. He packed the things so carefully with proper labelling, I was simply amazed. Moreover, he has also sent me a small piece of solder, 2 opamps for rolling them. Finally he has not charged a single penny from me except the cost of RCAs and box.
I am really grateful to him. My sincere regards to him. Thank you Sachin.
:yahoo::yahoo::clapping::clapping:

I have known Sachin from approx 6 years now, during my build of B1 and I know him to be a gentleman and very very helpfu.

I do interact with him very often on phone and still I can feel the same enthusim in him as when I first interacted with him.

A true gentleman and a DIYer.

Regards,

Running the CNC. First I tried with battery then with the PS set at 12V. First impression is excellent.
1. Better defined bass lines and bass depth.
2. Better open mid range.
2. Smooth treble

I am uploading a 34 sec 8.5mb video. If anybody wishes to listen can try. But mind you it was recorded with a smartphone (LG G5) so normal quality - sound and video for demo purpose.
videocompress-034-20170311_133746

Attachments

• 20170311_131812.jpg
    20170311_131812.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 239
No audiophile can regret with the CNC phono. Sound is just awesome, though I do not have eminent aural capability, still I can advocate the presence of CNC as a poor man's Nighthawk.

Sachin, Om and Raghu had helped me to get the CNC off-the-shelf with a beautiful cabinet. Thanks again.

Sourav

Congratulations, any review or building experience to share?

I mostly picked-up from what other members have done here... with few differences. I like to have connectors for all the cables that connects to the PC boards. I used XH2.54 type connectors, that seems to fit the pitch (used pin 1 & 5 on the connectors) for the phono input/output on the PCB. Also I used UL 2547 Multi-core Shielded wire for input/outputs cables(Spiral wound shield). These are less thick and flexible and works for audio applications. The project case (10"/3.2"/5.8")is from ebay.
I also tried to Print the Front & Back Panels using Toner transfer method but failed miserably... still looking for a good and economical way to do this.

BTW Transformer cover has insulation at the outer rim to the case (to prevent 1 turn shorted winding).

The a activity overall in the phono section is a bit dull these days, assume many of the usual suspects are now gone up the equipment chain while HFV's phono section bread and butter has come from the phono newbie crowd :)

Running the CNC. First I tried with battery then with the PS set at 12V. First impression is excellent.
1. Better defined bass lines and bass depth.
2. Better open mid range.
2. Smooth treble

I am uploading a 34 sec 8.5mb video. If anybody wishes to listen can try. But mind you it was recorded with a smartphone (LG G5) so normal quality - sound and video for demo purpose.
videocompress-034-20170311_133746

Splendid, congratulations and very well done.

Even though its recorded with a smartphone one can notice the dynamic signature sound of the CNC phonostage easily. Though I noticed there was channel imbalance through the recording (obviously caused by the smart phone :) )

Can you share more light on how you have wired your two turntables to you rig?

Can you share more light on how you have wired your two turntables to you rig?

TT 1 (With Shure M44-7) -> CNC -> Amplifier
TT 2 (With AT 95E) -> Little Bear T7 -> Amplifier

@reubensm thanks for your comments. Sorry for late response.

BTW, can you throw some light one EAR 834P clones available for DIY implementaion in Aliexpress / ebay etc., mainly with respect to:
1. Their sound in comparison to CNC. I like to have a open sound with air.
2. Regarding the degree of difficulty involved in assembling and readying the kits.
Any suggestion for any other DIY PHONO preamp kit with sound comparable / better than CNC.

BTW, can you throw some light one EAR 834P clones available for DIY implementaion in Aliexpress / ebay etc., mainly with respect to:
1. Their sound in comparison to CNC. I like to have a open sound with air.
2. Regarding the degree of difficulty involved in assembling and readying the kits.
Any suggestion for any other DIY PHONO preamp kit with sound comparable / better than CNC.
This thread might interest you
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/amazing-ear-834p-clone-phonostage.65428/

There are several phonostage circuits available online which one can try out. They range from simple 2-transistor or single-OP amp based projects to more complex designs. The reason why enthusiasts have preferred the CNC are mainly due to ease of construction, great quality sound quality and a huge bang for the buck.

One of the early high quality phonostages built around OP amps and perhaps an ancestor of the CNC.

Click here for the lovely read.

This is indeed exciting read. I just love the way he's put control at stages.

I have basic understanding of electronics but this sure looks to be a killer....

May be Om and Sachin can have a look and come up with a test circuit.

Amen to that

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back