Baytrail & Other Latest Tablets - Inputs?

k11

Want to get a BayTrail or some good tablet from US, 10inch atleast. Budget less than 30K. I might be able to score some of the stuff little bit cheaper with employee discounts or other discounts, but not a lot as they are latest models. Surface Pro 2 is too expensive and it might not fall in the comparison.

Looking at following options.

Asus T100 - 64GB @ $399
Pros - Full Windows with micro HDMI, USB, Keyboard, readily available.
Cons - Not a 1080p screen, keyboard has bad reviews, no digitizer, slow USB charging, no back camera, build quality not spectacular.

No Keyboard Models
HP Omni 10 32GB @$399 - 1080p screen, digitizer, slightly smaller 10.1"
Dell Venue Pro 11 @$499 for 64GB - 1080p screen, digitizer, 11" (Arriving late Mid - I might not have anyone to bring this)
Nokia 2520 @$499 for 32GB - 1080p screen, Windows RT, NVidia Processor not x86, very good looking tablet, might release in India at Rs.30K I think.

Lenovo, Toshiba Encore are not popular now.
Fijitsu is too expensive.

Fall Back
Apple iPad Air @$499 for 16GB and $599 for 32GB - We all know the specs.
New Model is super light and I heard from friend it is super fast.

Not considering latest Galaxy Tab 2014 model, too expensive.
Old Galaxy Tab 3, Nexus 10 2013 and Note might be considered if I get a good price.

Nexus 10 2014 might be too late.

Last edited:
My choice would be apple ipad air as yeah its quiet fast and still most softwares are not modified to take advantage of the 64 bit cpu
So expect it to be even more faster once all developers make their apps use the 64 bit architechture
Super light and trimmed bezzels is an added advantage.

I am using ipas 4 for almost 8 months now and never ever the tablet has frozen or gotten slow so expect ipad air to be better

Speakers are also loud enough and are supposedly better then ones in ipad 4. A major achivement considering the ipad air is more thinner then ipad 4

This is what i have actually experienced, i am not a apple fan boy

My phone is a lg g2 and am equally at home with android as well. For me biggest advantage apple has over any android product is that OS never gets slow with use and even with many applications open. With android one needs to clear memory and close appps once in a whileto let it perform smoothly.
Maybe this issue is taken care of in android 4.4 as it is tweaked to run on older android devices with lesser memory

No experience with windows 8.1. Brother uses a lumia 720 which is stable no doubt but still conplicated

Last edited:
For me, the full windows is a big boon. I use Excel for work and having it is a bonus.

I want to get this and use it for two to three months until the more powerful Haswell powered tablets (Like Surface Pro 2) come out. Then once I buy that I am planning to hand this over to my mom.

If it is iPad or Android then I will have to compromise.
So that is why they are not on top of my list and I got iPad Air as the last option.

Only worry I have is how tough the iPad Air is with Kids and all.
The Baytrail ones, Nexus, etc have Gorilla Glass, so they are very resistant to scratches and can take some rough use.

By the way, the mobile windows and tablet windows are different.

Mobile Windows - Lumia phones, limited capability on Qualcomm/NVidia/etc.
Tablet Windows RT - New OS, similar to mobile but has expanded apps, new ecosystem.
Tablet Windows 8.1 - Full OS like laptop/dektop, powered by Intel x86 processors. You can install anything on this. Powerpoint/Excel/any windows software on this platform.

Baytrail is the lowest power consumption and entry level performance processor.
Haswell tablets (Surface Pro 2) performs as good as laptops but drains more power, so tablets are bit thicker.

The ipad i have is mainly for my nephew who just turned 4. He uses it in worst possible way. No issues
Yeah but if you bang it on the screen, it will mostly not survive

With introduction of mobile windows 8.1, lumia phones will support quad core cpus, full hd display. Lumia 1520 is best example of it as it houses a snapdragon 800 chipset and full hd screen

With introduction of mobile windows 8.1, lumia phones will support quad core cpus, full hd display. Lumia 1520 is best example of it as it houses a snapdragon 800 chipset and full hd screen

Snapdragon and NVidia Tegra are fast but they are different architecture, they are not x86. They cannot support full Windows 8.1. Windows RT is possible on these but still cannot install sofware like laptop.

Intel Baytrail, Haswell, (Dont know if AMD has a product), etc can run everything that laptop/desktop has. Full windows 8.1.

I love Nokia 2520, will release in India soon, Windows RT might be enough for most people. I wish they make a proper full blown Excel and Powerpoint for this. Windows RT could become big down the road, but who knows it is a gamble.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back