Beautifying Windows XP...

moserw

A couple of free s/w that I've been using off and on.

News & About xpize - xpize will change the icons, themes, folders, menus and just about everything else in XP to make it look beautiful.
FlyakiteOSX v3.5 - Modify . Simplify . Aquafy [The Official Site] will make your system look and feel like Mac OSX. This way you can get the feel and look of Mac OS and see what Apple users have, but on a Windows platform.

Just check them out. You might end up using either long term...

PS - Only for Windows XP, Vista does not really need them as it has the same inbuilt.

Moserw et all,

Do NOT use FLyaKite. When you want to uninstall it, it can sometimes mess up the registry to the point that the whole OS needs to be reinstalled. I've gone through this once and don't want anyone else to have that experience. It's a pain. The interface is nice though slow. However, not worth the pain it may give on uninstall.

-Jinx.

Ok, that's news to me. I've never had any issues myself though, but I use Total Uninstall instead of depending on default Windows uninstaller. Thanks for the update...

Moserw et all,

Do NOT use FLyaKite. When you want to uninstall it, it can sometimes mess up the registry to the point that the whole OS needs to be reinstalled. I've gone through this once and don't want anyone else to have that experience. It's a pain. The interface is nice though slow. However, not worth the pain it may give on uninstall.

-Jinx.

moserw if you really want to try os x try some osx86 releases from iATKOS, iDeneb or Kalyway 10.5.2 .... The latest os x version is 10.5.7....there are patches upto 10.5.5...and also for 10.5.7 but I'm still stuck at 10.5.5....if you want more info about installing and configuring os x pm me your system config ....thanks

moserw if you really want to try os x try some osx86 releases from iATKOS, iDeneb or Kalyway 10.5.2 .... The latest os x version is 10.5.7....there are patches upto 10.5.5...and also for 10.5.7 but I'm still stuck at 10.5.5....if you want more info about installing and configuring os x pm me your system config ....thanks

I have a MacBook Pro myself actually. I was just sharing freeware to beautify XP and to get the look and feel of OS X for Windows users.

BTW these OS X hacks that you've mentioned are only OS or come with other pre-installed apps like in Linux? Will give them a try. Which is the best or which one do you recommend among the three mentioned or if anything else?

I have a MacBook Pro myself actually. I was just sharing freeware to beautify XP and to get the look and feel of OS X for Windows users.

BTW these OS X hacks that you've mentioned are only OS or come with other pre-installed apps like in Linux? Will give them a try. Which is the best or which one do you recommend among the three mentioned or if anything else?

Its a complete OS X modified to run on Non Apple PCs.... PCs assembled by Apple are fitted with TPMs and these contain EFI instead of bios....actually they modified some kexts and the kernel in order to install and use them on a non Apple labeled computers ...by the way which MBP you've and where you purchased it ... its damn expensive in India.... mine is customized from apple.com and I paid almost $3000 for a 17'' c2d 3.06 with 4 Gig RAM 500 Gig HDD @ 5400 RPM mainly using it for Pic editing with Aperture and PS CS4...I also have a Hackintosh with Kalyway distro 10.5.5 C2Q-Q9550 with 4 Gig ram from Corsair........for entertainment and hacking purposes.....

Its a complete OS X modified to run on Non Apple PCs.... PCs assembled by Apple are fitted with TPMs and these contain EFI instead of bios....actually they modified some kexts and the kernel in order to install and use them on a non Apple labeled computers ...by the way which MBP you've and where you purchased it ... its damn expensive in India.... mine is customized from apple.com and I paid almost $3000 for a 17'' c2d 3.06 with 4 Gig RAM 500 Gig HDD @ 5400 RPM mainly using it for Pic editing with Aperture and PS CS4...I also have a Hackintosh with Kalyway distro 10.5.5 C2Q-Q9550 with 4 Gig ram from Corsair........for entertainment and hacking purposes.....

I got my MacBook Pro from the U.S., cost nearly 2500 USD (I think), but I never paid anything since my SIL got it for me. I actually wanted MacBook Air, but deferred until the specs on it improved especially in the area of storage space. For now I got the 17" with Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and iWork preinstalled. It works like a breeze, very easy to use, definitely way, way ahead of anything Windows/MS has to offer.

I will give Kalyway a shot... Let me see how it holds up.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back