Beginner to this world of Great Music-Trying to setup first AVR and sound system

tusharshukla1991

Hello Everyone!
I was playing to get a 5.1 and was looking into various sites and found Sony(E3200), Logitech(z906) and Swans(m20) with quite good reviews and under my range (around 30k). Then I came to this site and got engulfed in this world of Sound systems which I never heard of. After reading lots of threads I finally concluded that I will not go for Sony or Samsung HTiB and rather buy a good AVR (in my budget) and upgrade slowly to setup HT.

After some research I came across these options:
Yamaha RX485 (around 35k)
Marantz nr1508 (around 34k)
Denon X Series AVR-X540BT (around 35k)

I need help to select among these three. Any other around 40k or less will also do.

Also please help me with speakers to pair with them. I think I'll go for 2.1 setup for now and will add surround later. I am planning to set it up with my TV, cromecast and Macbook pro (via hdmi)

Any place in Pune where I can audition these will definitely be very helpful.

Thanks in Advance!
Tushar

Hi Tushar,
Yamaha - Is good for Movies + Music
Marantz - Is good for Music
Denon - Is good for Movies
All 3 AVR is ok, you need to audition and check which one you like. Also check warranty and service center details.
You didn't mentation the speaker and subwoofer budget.
Subwoofer under 30K - Taga Harmony Platinum SW-10 v.2 or BIC America F12
Front Speakers under 20K - Mission LX-2 Bookshelf,
Taga Harmony Platinum S-40 Bookshelf, Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf, Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf, Polk Audio Signature S15

Audion and decide.

Hello Everyone!
I was playing to get a 5.1 and was looking into various sites and found Sony(E3200), Logitech(z906) and Swans(m20) with quite good reviews and under my range (around 30k). Then I came to this site and got engulfed in this world of Sound systems which I never heard of. After reading lots of threads I finally concluded that I will not go for Sony or Samsung HTiB and rather buy a good AVR (in my budget) and upgrade slowly to setup HT.

After some research I came across these options:
Yamaha RX485 (around 35k)
Marantz nr1508 (around 34k)
Denon X Series AVR-X540BT (around 35k)

I need help to select among these three. Any other around 40k or less will also do.

Also please help me with speakers to pair with them. I think I'll go for 2.1 setup for now and will add surround later. I am planning to set it up with my TV, cromecast and Macbook pro (via hdmi)

Any place in Pune where I can audition these will definitely be very helpful.

Thanks in Advance!
Tushar

Hi Tushar,

You can have demo at soundfactor, Pune MG road or soundscape opp to Dmart in parihar chowk.

Krishroy2004: Thank you
My budget was 40k overall but since I read so many posts I changed my mind.
So for now I'll go for 2.1 setup. I was thinking polk or jbl which is around 15k a pair and a decent sub around 10k

Thanks @stallionbal I'll try soundscape tomorrow it's nearer to my home.

Last edited:
Try to audition Polk audio T15 or Boston Acoustics A 26 or A25.
Sub under 10K is very hard to get. You have to go with the used route. Or you can try TAGA Harmony TAV-606 V3 Speaker Package (5.0) and get a Sub later.

Try to audition Polk audio T15 or Boston Acoustics A 26 or A25.
Sub under 10K is very hard to get. You have to go with the used route. Or you can try TAGA Harmony TAV-606 V3 Speaker Package (5.0) and get a Sub later.

I am very new to all this. Can you please help me what should I look/check in used subs and speakers.

Also, there is yamaha 2910 5.1 set. Is that not as good as above AVRs? (Reviews are quite good on amazon)

Hello Everyone!
I was playing to get a 5.1 and was looking into various sites

and under my range (around 30k).

My budget was 40k overall but since I read so many posts I changed my mind.

If 30 ~ 40K is all you can spend now, here is one option ..

Sony AVR - https://www.reliancedigital.in/sony-str-dh550-5-1-channel-1-way-a-v-receiver/p/491167076 drop in to reliance and check aval..

Taga TAV 506 5.0 speakers - https://www.amazon.in/Taga-Harmony-...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534571571&sr=8-1&keywords=Taga

Add a subwoofer later..

Hello @elangoas

I was thinking I'll prefer a good AVR first and my main preference is music (70%)

Please help me choose between yamaha or sony.

Yamaha avr (383) plus BA a26 is in my budget.
Or yamaha 2910

I am very new to all this. Can you please help me what should I look/check in used subs and speakers.

Also, there is yamaha 2910 5.1 set. Is that not as good as above AVRs? (Reviews are quite good on amazon)
As your preference is 70% music I will suggest not to go with yamaha 2910 5.1 or any other HTIB.
Just settle with an AVR and front L+R speakers (At least with 6.5-inch drivers) for now under 40K.
Later you can add a center and surrounds for 13K (Yamaha - NS - P51) or a center for 8K and any used surrounds speakers for 5K.
A used SUB for 12K, check within this forum or in OLX. Audition and decide. Must not be older than 3 to 4 years.

Hello All,
I went for demo and after listening to some combos which I can find here is what I gather:
1 reliance digital - yamaha 2910 and sony iv300... I liked yamaha for its balanced sound while sony was just boomy and not very clear sounding.
2 yamaha 383 with BA a26 and marantz 1508 with polk s15... I found marantz better.
I wanted to try marantz with BA 26 but couldn't.

3 jbl HT with jbl cinema 510: realy good clarity of the speakers base was little off i guess.

Jbl cinema 510 is 19k on amazon, can i pair them with marantz?
Other option marantz +polk vs marantz +BA (2.0 system for now)
FMs help me plz

Marantz 1508 with Polk s15 is a good combo, check if you can audition Polk S20 with Marantz.
Did you audition both music and movies with this combo? if you like the sound go for it.
Polk S15 has a 5.25 inch driver and BA A26 has a 6.5 inch driver. So BA will be a bit bass heavy.

Yes I did for movies as well and stereo setup obviously lagged that sorround effect (which i always wanted)
That's why i wanted review of some 5.1 package
Like jbl cinema, denon sys 2020 with marantz.
Taga 5.0 is too big for my room

Ok,
Normal 5.1 speaker package is not good for music, it's ok for movies. If you love music then start with 2.0 and then expand to 5.1.
Audition some 5.1 speaker package and check. If you like it or not

Thanks Krish :)

One more question, I checked everywhere the marantz 1508 is around 40k while it is on 34k on Hifimart, do you know is that trusted place to buy from? Ideally how many years of warranty we get on marantz as I read somewhere it should be 3years.

Hifimart is the authorised dealer of the products and all products come with official warranty of the manufacturer. Trusted place and I have purchased few products including Marantz AVR.

Thanks Krish :)

One more question, I checked everywhere the marantz 1508 is around 40k while it is on 34k on Hifimart, do you know is that trusted place to buy from? Ideally how many years of warranty we get on marantz as I read somewhere it should be 3years.
Many of our FM has purchased from Hifimart, it is a trusted place to buy.
If you only with music buy a stereo amp but if you want movies and music then AVR is the best option.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back