BenQ W1070/W1250 and W1080ST Firmware discussions

rajudhs

I have updated many of these details in other threads as well, but felt like its best, if we have a dedicated thread, in which these firmware related updates can be put for better consolidation.

W1070 and W1080ST are technically same projectors except that W1080ST has Short Throw lens

Also W1250 is exactly same as W1070, just packaged as W1250 in Canada.
The W1250 is a bundle with two BenQ 3D glasses available at Costco.ca

copy pasting the instructions for Version 1.06 (W1070) and Version 1.03 (W1080ST) from another source.

I suggest that you do this only if you have an early version of the firmware and are having issues that need to be fixed. One must also realize that if you mess up the firmware update your warranty could be void

Firmware available below:

https://docs.google.com/folderview?...FqclRLU3pBNlk&id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

106 Firmware for W1070 download link:
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/62963810/file.html

103 for W1080ST Link
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/35040164/file.html

If one wants to do the update I suggest doing it using a standard to min B cable. using USB. This update cannon be installed from a thumb drive. The full instructions are in the service manual from the link above.

1. Write down all your settings before starting an update. (If you do not you will loose all your settings)
2. I suggest that you create a new folder on your desktop called 1070 firmware in the new folder.
3. Download the download tool and unzip it to the new folder.
4. Download the new separate 106 img file to the same folder from the link above.
5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer. Also download the Flash Device Parameters file.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer on your C drive.) Use Copy and paste. The folder you want to paste this file to will be on the c drive after you install DLP composer.
6. Open the DLP Composer tool and go to edit, preferences.
7. When the window opens go to communication and set it to USB
8. Close this window and click on flash loader on the opening screen. A window will open.
8. Change the mark to Complete Image Download Put check in Skip Boot loader area Change 32Kb
9. On the top of the flash loader hit the browse button and go to your folder 106 img file.
10. Insert the USB cable in the min plug on the projector and into your computer. (Wait for the drivers to load. This should take a minute with windows 7 or 8
11. Unplug the projector and push the power and auto buttons at the same time. Plug in the projector while holding the buttons. The LED on the projector will turn red if you are in download mode (It must turn red to install the firmware. If it turns orange do this again until you only get the red led) This is very important.
12 Hit the Reset Bus and Start Download. The upgrade process should take about 5 minutes. A timer will start telling you how long it will take.
13. Do not unplug anything during the process. When everything completes the LED on the projector will turn to standby orange.
14. Unplug the USB cable and turn the projector on
15 You will have to put all your settings back in and turn source select to auto
16. Instructions are also available in the service manual PDF you downloaded to your folder.
17. Only do this upgrade at your own risk and if you are familiar with doing firmware updates..
18. You do not need the service tool to do the firmware update the firmware and write down your settings.

Please pay attention to Highlighted RED text above, which is imp and if missed can brick your PJ

The same process will apply for any future firmwares.

Since Power Supply is unreliable in India, ensure that PJ is connected to a UPS, so that firmware upgrade is not interrupted and the PJ is not bricked

Last edited:
W1070 Version 1.06 and W1080ST Version 1.03 are a must have.

- as it has good amount of fixes + 3D support for many more resolutions + HDMI handshake issues fixed, as everyone has faced this issue worldwide, including myself.

The fixes are thus for the w1070 firmwares:

Firmware 1.03

Problem-1- To improve the flickering when smart ECO mode + dynamic setting
Problem-2- To add Background color in OSD

Firmware 1.04

Problem-1- When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan cant reach target then shut down.
Problem-2- Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
cant be kept.

Firmware 1.05

Problem-1- ISF setting cannot be saved
Problem-2- compatibility problem for some unique 3D DVD players(Philips)
Problem-3- OSD Swedish language of on& off wrong translation

Firmware 1.06

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: cant turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit cant
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)

Added support for 3D formats:
1280x720p@59/94/60 Hz -- SBS added
1280x720p@50Hz - SBS added
[email protected]/24Hz - SBS added
[email protected]/60Hz - Top Bottom - added
1920x1080p@50Hz - Top Bottom - added

Firmware 1.07

ISF Night setting cant be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
To keep lamp hour after reset all setting in USE OSD
To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
Modify picture mode of power off icon
Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

So as you can see above, 1.06 is must have and 1.07 is not mandatory for most users, but heard 1.07 has also improved the HDMI sync times for some users, but we should acknowledge that, as most guys from Tech background will agree with me, that companies wont expose all bug fixes to customers i expect there will be lot of fixes hidden

Note: W1080ST is technically similar projector but Short Throw Lense, but has firmware numbering and firmware different.

W1080ST Version 1.03 = W1070 Version 1.06
W1080ST Version 1.04 = W1070 Version 1.07
W1080ST Version 1.05 = W1070 Version 1.08

W1080ST is behind in version, due to it being released later than W1070 which is older.

The firmware files are different for these 2 models.

The fixes that are present in W1080ST Version 1.05 & W1070 Version 1.08 are unknown currently. This is rather new and released few weeks back, i,e Dec 2013

Rajudhs,

Thanks. What does the file Projector_ServiceTool do? Couple of files in PDF format are encrypted. Thanks all the same. I believe V.1.07 for W1070 which is an img file has to be burnt on to a disk and played into W1070 through a BD player, right?

Dude :)

you cannot update a firmware on to PJ, by playing the burned firmware onto a DVD and playing on your BD player :) this is most absurd.

Please dont update the firmware by yourself, dont take me wrong.

I thought the instructions above were very clear on how to update the firmware, and the same applies to any version now and in future also.

Rgds,

Rajudhs,

Thanks. What does the file Projector_ServiceTool do? Couple of files in PDF format are encrypted. Thanks all the same. I believe V.1.07 for W1070 which is an img file has to be burnt on to a disk and played into W1070 through a BD player, right?

There is a service manual as well, in the URL shared in the 1st post above.
So any adventurous types who want to repair in future on their own, when the PJ is out of warranty, can use the manual.

From my past experience changing color wheel, DLP chip are fairly easy for guys who are used to dismantling electronics. The spare parts are cheaper in ebay USA and other sources.

Disclaimer:

All the above needs fair amount of common sense and caution. You need to remember that when you do above and mess up by not following instructions properly, you may brick your projector and void warranty.

So only users who are comfortable in doing these things can venture. others spend some $$$ and get it done from BenQ India Service directly.

But the above steps are accurate, i tried with success and many in AVS Forum have also done this.

rajudhs,

firmware upgrade files are auto-recognized by the device, be the input usb or a disc; that said, I would never mess up upgrading a device without sufficient knowledge. I have substantial experience in electronics in general and analogue audio in particular. That said, your warning and caveat are well taken. Thanks. The manual and the instruction file are pdf type and are encrypted. I could download them but they did not open. Any tips?

Thanks again.

r_s_dhar,

"firmware upgrade files are auto-recognized by the device, be the input usb or a disc"

i Agree this is the general case with bluray players/TV's, but its not the case with BenQ Projector

They have special service software to do it. Hence the above steps/process.

Since the PJ are costly affair, i want fellow forum mates, to follow the instructions as is :)

rajudhs,

Much appreciated, I get the point now. I have installed WSeries Service Tool in Windows-7. Does Windows require drivers to recognize W1070 if attached to the PC? I do not want trial and error. I understand what you say: firmware upgrades can render your device totally unusable if done wrongly. It needs to be done purely on personal responsibility. I am asking you these questions purely in terms of curiosity and I do not intend to upgrade till I have all details I need to know. Thanks again

The Level 2 Service manual is a good source of information for the firmware upgrade process, with screenshots/images

Refer to section
4.3 Software/Firmware Upgrade Process

for USB drivers, they will be auto detected/installed by windows. went fine in my case.
but in case NOT and u have to install manually, it is covered in service manual in above section.

I am copy pasting the text to give an idea (refer manual as it has screen shots)

USB Driver Installation (Only for download by USB):
1. After DLP Composer Lite 11.0 is installed, it can auto detect your USB driver.
2. If PC still cannot recognize the USB device, choose the "Install DLP Device Drivers" icon under
"DLP Composer Lite" in your Start menu.
3. Select Jungo WinDriver and press Install.
4. Follow the message show in message, and complete the installation when you see the Completing
the Device Driver Installation Wizard message.

Below are the published fixes in W1070 Firmware Version 1.08 (~ W1080ST Firmware Version 1.05)

Firmware 1.08
- Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal.
- Add 3D support timing: 1080p 60Hz SBS

I have successfully updated by W1080ST to firmware 1.05 (equivalent to W1070 Firmware 1.08) without any issues.

Confirmed to be working fine, need to explore more for any visible improvements

I currently have firmware version 1.05 and I am considering the update to 1.08...
Am I able to go straight from 1.05 to 1.08 or do I have to do each consecutive update in order to get all of the fixes? May be a bit of a dumb question but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I am to do this. Cheers

You can update directly to latest.

I currently have firmware version 1.05 and I am considering the update to 1.08...
Am I able to go straight from 1.05 to 1.08 or do I have to do each consecutive update in order to get all of the fixes? May be a bit of a dumb question but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I am to do this. Cheers

Hey guys, I just tried upgrading my firmware from 1.00 to 1.05 on the W1080ST. I followed the directions to the letter. Everything worked and checksum went ok. Now the projector is stuck with a solid red power led and won't turn on. Help! Any ideas?

Edit: tried both flashing methods : usb and rs232. Both no longer work. I bought a flashing tool for the memory chip on the main board of the projector. The chip in mine is the EN29PL064 which is an 8MB EPROM chip. I will try dumping the chip and then flashing it when I receive the tool to do so. I would appreciate any type of input on performing this procedure as it will be my first hands on EPROM programming experience.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back