Best 1 Gbps fibre internet service providers in Powai area?

k-pad

Hi all Mumbaikars,
Might be moving into this neighbourhood called Chandivali between Powai and Ghatkopar around March.
Any reliable ISPs in the area you all have experienced for a good HT experience?
Regards

Hi all Mumbaikars,
Might be moving into this neighbourhood called Chandivali between Powai and Ghatkopar around March.
Any reliable ISPs in the area you all have experienced for a good HT experience?
Regards
Hi

I am using Airtel Fibre line and it is good. I initially took the 100mbps line for WFH, Schooling and HT. I think it was possibly overkill for me so I shifted to 40mbps and that too works good enough. Overall keeps my budget at bay. What I like about Airtel is that there is an effective customer service and complaint tracking mechanism in place. Been using Airtel now over a year and its good for my needs and use.

There would be many other providers in the area including Reliance Jio and possibly local cable TV providers. Most of my friends in those parts use Airtel.

You can check if there are area specific local providers and their rates. What is very important is how fast they can resolve a break in connection or issues.

All the best!

Hi

I am using Airtel Fibre line and it is good. I initially took the 100mbps line for WFH, Schooling and HT. I think it was possibly overkill for me so I shifted to 40mbps and that too works good enough. Overall keeps my budget at bay.
Thanks a ton, bro.
Did you find any difference between the two plans?
What were the true download speeds like?

What I like about Airtel is that there is an effective customer service and complaint tracking mechanism in place. Been using Airtel now over a year and its good for my needs and use.
This is most important, isn't it? Logging them as first option.
There would be many other providers in the area including Reliance Jio and possibly local cable TV providers.
Dunno if JioFibre would be available in this area. But local cable a strict no-no for me, from past experience.

You can check if there are area specific local providers and their rates. What is very important is how fast they can resolve a break in connection or issues.
True this.
All the best!
Thanks a ton, bro.

Thanks a ton, bro.
Did you find any difference between the two plans?
What were the true download speeds like?

Honestly there was a slight difference. If you do a speed test over Google, you get what is mentioned for 100mbps lines...it goes to 125mbps and for the 40 mbps line i use, i see almost 55mbps or even 68mbps at times.

The beauty of the line is that for me WFH involves working on really heavy files & databases, wife too uses for her work and kid for online schooling using Zoom. All 3 of us it works well. Tried also running Netflix / Amazon prime through firestick same time and there was no lag with the 40mbps line I currently use. Airtel besides the 100mbps also has the 200mbps which is very super fast. Check their Airtel Black one bill plans, there are good offers.

The beauty of the line is that for me WFH involves working on really heavy files & databases, wife too uses for her work and kid for online schooling using Zoom. All 3 of us it works well. Tried also running Netflix / Amazon prime through firestick same time and there was no lag with the 40mbps line I currently use.
Holy Moly!
That's something. Unreal, actually.
I had/have a Hathway, so-called 150 Mbps line, which used to work all swell till the pandemic hit.
The home min uses some proprietary stuff in her WFH stuff, which just killed the bandwidth.
So much so, that we had to take a second Jio line just for work!

Airtel besides the 100mbps also has the 200mbps which is very super fast. Check their Airtel Black one bill plans, there are good offers.
The 200 sounds tasty. Will look up the plans.
Thanks a ton, bro.

Have you considered how much data transfer you need? Most big name ISPs limit the speed after a certain quota. If you plan on binging on Netflix or downloading content it is something to consider.

Holy Moly!
That's something. Unreal, actually.
I had/have a Hathway, so-called 150 Mbps line, which used to work all swell till the pandemic hit.
The home min uses some proprietary stuff in her WFH stuff, which just killed the bandwidth.
So much so, that we had to take a second Jio line just for work!

The 200 sounds tasty. Will look up the plans.
Thanks a ton, bro.

Forgot to mention.

Airtel gives you around 3300 GB per month after which the speed reduces. Based on my last provider (MTNL and other providers), I roughly use around 500 to 800 GB per month being for streaming, downloads etc....so still 3300GB per month is very very good in my opinion.

I was the second Hathway customer in my area in 2003 when I paid Rs 1100 per month for a 64 kbps line then. Over the years changed plans and rates slowly started getting cheaper. Customer Service was bad including support. After 10 years, I moved to MTNL. Then after 5 years moved to one private local provider before moving to Airtel. During Pandemic MTNL had no proper support and my office work was getting affected with frequent disconnections. Hence kept changing till I got Airtel. Honestly I was very Happy with MTNL then. Worked throughout the year with barely any disconnections, even during heavy rains!

Have you considered how much data transfer you need?
Yes, yes!
Something that would do 100 mbps effortlessly on a wired connection is what i am looking for.
I currently use an internet connection, which on wifi, give me about 25 mbps. Which even if I wire it, I doubt is gonna gimme anything more than 40. And this is a claimed 150 mbps connection.
Most big name ISPs limit the speed after a certain quota. If you plan on binging on Netflix or downloading content it is something to consider.
This, I have not faced in true unlimited plans.
In my experience of the past many years, they are true to their word in terms of consumption.

Their true capabilities in terms of speed has been the real problem I have faced in my use case.
Sometimes it comes through, sometimes it doesn't.
For example, I can download a 1 GB file over wifi in 10 minutes on a client. But ask it to play a high bit-rate video over WiFi, it struggles.

Yes, yes!
Something that would do 100 mbps effortlessly on a wired connection is what i am looking for.
I currently use an internet connection, which on wifi, give me about 25 mbps. Which even if I wire it, I doubt is gonna gimme anything more than 40. And this is a claimed 150 mbps connection.

This, I have not faced in true unlimited plans.
In my experience of the past many years, they are true to their word in terms of consumption.

Their true capabilities in terms of speed has been the real problem I have faced in my use case.
Sometimes it comes through, sometimes it doesn't.
For example, I can download a 1 GB file over wifi in 10 minutes on a client. But ask it to play a high bit-rate video over WiFi, it struggles.

I wasn't talking about speed but monthly data transfer quota limits, last I checked Airtel had 3333GB per month and post speed is reduced to 1 mbps. It is only a concern if you are a heavy user and/or used to "truly" unlimited plans from smaller ISPs that have no speed or data limits.

If your primary concern is speed and you are not a heavy user that needs more than the stated data quota then go with Airtel, they provide excellent speed in my experience.

It is notable to mention that all the big ISPs have a data limit post which they reduce the speed.

I wasn't talking about speed but monthly data transfer quota limits, last I checked Airtel had 3333GB per month and post speed is reduced to 1 mbps.
Didn't know this.
On another note, is something like 3333GB even hittable in a month?

It is only a concern if you are a heavy user and/or used to "truly" unlimited plans from smaller ISPs that have no speed or data limits.
Have been on unlimited plans with Hathway for the past five years, and my only concern has been speed. My monthly usage goes to up to about 500 GB.

If your primary concern is speed and you are not a heavy user that needs more than the stated data quota then go with Airtel, they provide excellent speed in my experience.
Second vote for Airtel!
Noted.

It is notable to mention that all the big ISPs have a data limit post which they reduce the speed.
I doubt they do... What has been your experience?
There are FUP plans where they specify after how much usage it is throttled.
Have you experienced any cut off in an unlimited plan?

Hi K-pad,

The big 3 are Jio, Airtel and Tata broadband.

We have tatasky at work with 200 Mbps speed and is decent as our upload and download is in gbs.
At home Jio connection is there which is also decent at 100 Mbps plan. Till now both the services are pretty decent and no issues so far since around a year.
The ethernet Cat6 connection would give you better speed than a wifi connection which would drop by approx 40 to 50 % at least in my experience. Jio would give a connection only if they have layed down the wires in your society or vicinity. Whereas the other 2 would give a connection anyways. Jio charges for its router whereas Tata gives the Nokia router free of cost with the connection. We had Hathway years ago at work but it was not so great with frequent disruption & would take some time to resume.
Airtel too should be good as suggested above.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
I am using Jio Fiber since 4-5 yrs or more, even before it was rolled out publicly. Can tell you it has been a very good service. And if your locality has this go for it.

Around 850rs you get unlimited 100mbps and lower one is for 30mbps. I had tried local Internet too, but it was bad really bad and don't ask about the downtime! With Jio I have faced handful downtimes in these years.

Airtel is another one which is very good, but I feel it is expensive, was when I was trying to get another connection.

My both houses use Jio Fiber, only downside is the router was crap no antennas which results in not so good network. But you can connect other routet on it. Also, some devices like RPI and others can have a handshake issue while connecting through ethernet.
Laptops, desktops, nvidia shield or consoles don't have this problem.

Hi K-pad,

The big 3 are Jio, Airtel and Tata broadband.

We have tatasky at work with 200 Mbps speed and is decent as our upload and download is in gbs.
At home Jio connection is there which is also decent at 100 Mbps plan. Till now both the services are pretty decent and no issues so far since around a year.
The ethernet Cat6 connection would give you better speed than a wifi connection which would drop by approx 40 to 50 % at least in my experience. Jio would give a connection only if they have layed down the wires in your society or vicinity. Whereas the other 2 would give a connection anyways. Jio charges for its router whereas Tata gives the Nokia router free of cost with the connection. We had Hathway years ago at work but it was not so great with frequent disruption & would take some time to resume.
Airtel too should be good as suggested above.

Regards,
Nitin
Thanks, Nitin bhai
Will check what is available in the neighbourhood soon.

I am using Jio Fiber since 4-5 yrs or more, even before it was rolled out publicly. Can tell you it has been a very good service. And if your locality has this go for it.

Around 850rs you get unlimited 100mbps and lower one is for 30mbps. I had tried local Internet too, but it was bad really bad and don't ask about the downtime! With Jio I have faced handful downtimes in these years.

Airtel is another one which is very good, but I feel it is expensive, was when I was trying to get another connection.

My both houses use Jio Fiber, only downside is the router was crap no antennas which results in not so good network. But you can connect other routet on it. Also, some devices like RPI and others can have a handshake issue while connecting through ethernet.
Laptops, desktops, nvidia shield or consoles don't have this problem.
Thanks, Amrut.
Do you have one of the periodic plans or an annual plan?

Didn't know this.
On another note, is something like 3333GB even hittable in a month?

Have been on unlimited plans with Hathway for the past five years, and my only concern has been speed. My monthly usage goes to up to about 500 GB.

Second vote for Airtel!
Noted.

I doubt they do... What has been your experience?
There are FUP plans where they specify after how much usage it is throttled.
Have you experienced any cut off in an unlimited plan?

Yes it is easy to hit that quota, for me anyway.

For 500GB it should not be a concern, you can download meters which will monitor your usage if you are curious.

Previously I have seen such limits enforced but this was years ago.

The Airtel FUP is not listed in the plans but in the T&C. I believe it is the same for Jio or Tata.

I am currently on an older Airtel plan where I regularly exceed 3333GB but they have not intervened as of yet. I would like to upgrade to another current plan but I am concerned they may start throttling it so I haven't.

Hi all Mumbaikars,
Regards
You probably don't need a Gbps connection at home. Get a 200/300 Mbps fiber connection from Airtel, and IMHO it should suffice even with the most demanding applications. If you need more bandwidth, you can change the plan anytime from Airtel App. Also, the ISP-supplied router is pure e-Waste, so you better get a good one from the market.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back