Best 1 Gbps fibre internet service providers in Powai area?

Thanks, Amrut.
Do you have one of the periodic plans or an annual plan?

I use monthly plans, 699 without taxes which comes to 824 for 100mbps unlimited.
They havd plans like 30mbps for 399, 150mbps for 999 and above.

Plans above 100mbps gets you free setup box too, plans above 150mbps gives you hotstar and amazon prime, some plans even have netflix.

Ah, this is very interesting.
Will keep an eye out.
Thanks, man.

Anytime.

Let us know how it goes.

There is also another provider called D-Vois, last I checked they operated through partners, I had their connection for a while and it was good. It was a while ago and their speed was about 10mbps, but it was truly unlimited with no bandwidth or data limits and it was symmetrical upload/download. I have no idea about current plans.

Are you using 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz. 5 ghz wifi offers better speeds although old laptops only support 2.4 ghz.
2.4, cos of router placement, it gives better signal.
Can try 5 ghz with a router.

You probably don't need a Gbps connection at home. Get a 200/300 Mbps fiber connection from Airtel, and IMHO it should suffice even with the most demanding applications.
True, was working under the assumption that true speeds most times will be only half of what's claimed.
Even a fair and true 300 Mbps line should work.
Also, the ISP-supplied router is pure e-Waste, so you better get a good one from the market.
Never thought about/ realised this.
This could be the major culprit.
Will also give it a shot in the current set up only. Will help me figure out stuff before i move in.
Any well-priced ones you would recommend?

Thanks a ton, OM!

I am using a TP-Link c6 router which is priced at around 2500. Duel band. I have a 200 Mbps connection from BSNL. On 2.4 Ghz I get around 35 to 40 Mbps. On 5 Ghz, I get the full 200 Mbps. If your devices are close to the router you should be using the 5 Ghz band. I also have a tp-link extender in my bedroom configured as a onemesh.

I have a private VPN line to my office connecting to my database servers. I have multiple devices connecting to the internet for entertainment and work including Virtual Reality games. I feel that a 100 Mbps connection is more than sufficient for me. The 200 Mbps is an overkill for me. So, think long and hard before opting for a 1 Gbps connection.

Last edited:
@k-pad Oh I forgot to mention a few things about Jio Fibre.

They provide the dual band router, I have not seen anyone using other routers till now personally.
Both bands can be used simultaneously, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
Range is meh, as no antennas.

@k-pad Oh I forgot to mention a few things about Jio Fibre.

They provide the dual band router, I have not seen anyone using other routers till now personally.
Both bands can be used simultaneously, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
Range is meh, as no antennas.
I use Airtel and there is both bands available on the Nokia router provided. . I use the 5G one its fast!

2.4, cos of router placement, it gives better signal.
Can try 5 ghz with a router.
Tried this with the main connection, and found no difference.

On a lark, tried the 5 gig band 150 Mbps Jio fibre wife uses for work.
1. Tried internet speed test on tv. Clocked an impressive 120 Mbps even over wifi.
2. Emboldened, tried a file download. It was hitting 5 Mb/s and gobbling up GBs in mins!
3. Threw the big test at it - heavy and high bit rate files over Plex. It just quietly played all of them without a hint of buffering.

Crazy difference overall from my hathway 150 Mbps connection!

Thanks, ssf!
(You made my weekend) :D

Any well-priced ones you would recommend?
I have been using Asus RT-AC68U for the last three years, and it's serving me faithfully. It's probably one of the best routers available in the consumer segment. However, considering WiFi6 is going mainstream, I would advise going with their AX series to be future-proof, although the prices are pretty high for the AX series at this moment.

I am not from Mumbai but I recommend Airtel over others. There is a huge misconception about speed in my opinion. Higher the speed is better is what most people think. People forget about latency and jitter.
For a consistent video call low latency helps. I have tried various providers in Bangalore and Airtel has seed consistency and low latency. All others had worse speed consistency.
ACT fiber net used to drop to 1 mbps or low between 9 to 11 PM and latency was always higher. And their resolution time was always longer.
What I have seen with others who use Jio is that drop in speed and higher latency. And using a Jio mobile connection, I think that Jio wrongly calculates data usage. You exhaust your data way faster than other providers. It's more of feeling than data driven inference.

I have tried simultaneous three 1080P video streaming and a WhatsApp call successfully at 30 mbps. So, you need not to look for 1 Gbps connection in my opinion.

In fact a local cable guy used to serve our apartment in 2013 and his service was really good. It entirely depends on the person who is serving and it's the nature of business. Like a chain store vs local Kirana shop.

I suggest that you first move in, ask around for recommendations and then go with a local provider. The providers in Andheri are excellent, rates are cheap, service is very good and downtime almost non existent.

Hi all,
Have gone with 300 Mbps Airtel plan for now. Been two weeks and very happy. In several (i am a bit of a paranoid android, sorry) multi-platform tests across the day, the thing dutifully returns high 200s all the time. (the router is very close to the man cave)

So, so-far-so-good, touch wood. Airtel does seem to be deserving of all our well-earned trust. :)

Next step is to hardwire the net to the TV. I know I have one of the CAT cables inlaid in the house, but dunno how to identify if it is 5 or 6. Will do it soon.

Thanks a ton to all for taking the time out!
Regards
You can check if there are area specific local providers and their rates. What is very important is how fast they can resolve a break in connection or issues.
This is good to know, though here's hoping I never need to find out :D

The ethernet Cat6 connection would give you better speed than a wifi connection which would drop by approx 40 to 50 % at least in my experience.
Hardwiring next week. will update.
Also, Nitin-bhai, meeting is long overdue. Am gonna ping you one of these weekends if I am in your part of city. Let's catch up soon!

My both houses use Jio Fiber, only downside is the router was crap no antennas which results in not so good network.
Hey Amrut, had this very same problem in old house. So, didn't consider. Trust you have been fine. Catch up very soon.

The Airtel FUP is not listed in the plans but in the T&C. I believe it is the same for Jio or Tata.
Checked the fine print, and it is exactly as you and @efernand1 mentioned.
I think I can live with 300 Mbps/3300 limit easily.
Thanks a ton.
I am not from Mumbai but I recommend Airtel over others. There is a huge misconception about speed in my opinion. Higher the speed is better is what most people think. People forget about latency and jitter.
Looks like, the Airtel connection in the building satisfies this condition, Zero. Thanks for the input.

Most TVs have a 100 Mbps network card. Hardwiring will restrict the speed to 100 Mbps. With Wifi, (5 Ghz) one should get the full speed of the connection.

Last edited:
Most TVs have a 100 Mbps network card. Hardwiring will restrict the speed to 100 Mbps. With Wifi, (5 Ghz) one should get the full speed of the connection.
The part about wi-fi is incorrect!

4k Video streaming requires only 20Mbps sustained speed. I reduced my ISP connection speed from 200Mbps to 100, as the extra speed was doing nothing for my use case.

For a single user, theoretically, one wouldn't need more than a stable 50mbps connection in a normal use case; i.e Music/Video/gaming streaming etc.
More bandwidth is required only when multiple users on the same network are simultaneously using streaming services.
Regardless, the Internet cost is dirt cheap in India!

The part about wi-fi is incorrect!
Hi Keith,

On my TV on a wireless connection, I am getting speeds of 200 Mbps on a 200 Mbps connection. This is on a 5 Ghz Band. Do you feel that a wired connection restricted to 100 Mbps will still be better than the wifi ? An honest doubt, as asking questions on the forum can sometimes come out as a challenge.

4k Video streaming requires only 20Mbps sustained speed. I reduced my ISP connection speed from 200Mbps to 100, as the extra speed was doing nothing for my use case.

For a single user, theoretically, one wouldn't need more than a stable 50mbps connection in a normal use case; i.e Music/Video/gaming streaming etc.
More bandwidth is required only when multiple users on the same network are simultaneously using streaming services.
Regardless, the Internet cost is dirt cheap in India!

Most definitely, Sir. Which is exactly why I have my TV on wifi. My son plays a lot of games in VR which requires a good internet connection which is one of the reasons I have a 200 Mbps connection.

20220723_092737.jpg

Hi Keith,

On my TV on a wireless connection, I am getting speeds of 200 Mbps on a 200 Mbps connection. This is on a 5 Ghz Band. Do you feel that a wired connection restricted to 100 Mbps will still be better than the wifi ? An honest doubt, as asking questions on the forum can sometimes come out as a challenge.
For the TV, like @aeroash said, a stable 20 Mbps would be more than sufficient. 100/200 Mbps is overkill. If your choices are 100 and 200, take the 100. And, as of current, all other things being equal, I'd prefer a wired to wireless anyday.

For the TV, like @aeroash said, a stable 20 Mbps would be more than sufficient. 100/200 Mbps is overkill. If your choices are 100 and 200, take the 100. And, as of current, all other things being equal, I'd prefer a wired to wireless anyday.
Very true, wired is better. For the 100 mbs Jio connection, I get around 45 mbs in wifi mode and around 94 Mbps in wired mode. Their technical person too recommend wired mode if possible.

Very true, wired is better. For the 100 mbs Jio connection, I get around 45 mbs in wifi mode and around 94 Mbps in wired mode. Their technical person too recommend wired mode if possible.

My experience with Airtel has been very good for more than a year now. Started with 100mbps line as I wanted a free Fibre install which was not available then.
After using for 3 months, I felt that 100mbps too was an overkill for my use at home which includes WFH. So I moved to 40 mbps and using the same till date. I use Firestick with my existing TV and get close to 48mbps 5G through Wifi.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 11.39.28 AM.jpeg

My experience with Airtel has been very good for more than a year now. Started with 100mbps line as I wanted a free Fibre install which was not available then.
After using for 3 months, I felt that 100mbps too was an overkill for my use at home which includes WFH. So I moved to 40 mbps and using the same till date. I use Firestick with my existing TV and get close to 48mbps 5G through Wifi.

View attachment 70815
That's a good speed Eddie. Does Speedtest.net show the same speed for your connection?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back