Best 42" flat panel TV (Plasma) under 65k

psychotropic

I know this might be a rather contentious issue, but I have the following contenders:

the Samsung PS42A410C1 - I've got a price quote of 58k for it
the Samsung PS42A450P1 - I've got a price quote of 65k for it
Panasonic 42 PV8H - I've got a price quote of 65k for it.

Because I started with the idea of buying a 32 inch LCD and then decided to be utterly irresponsible and up my budget, I am thinking I should be conservative and go for the Samsung 410, which seems to be a good model from reviews etc.,

Is it worth spending 7k more for either the Samsung 450 or the Panny PV8?? ANd considering that the PV8 has specs that are inferior to the Samsung 450, would the Panasonic's inherent superiority in making Plasma panels negate this difference. I know at the end of the day it is down to what I prefer when I see it, but I'd like your informed opinion as a guide.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

Among the Plasma's, I have only seen PV8H (& PV70) so far and I liked it. I would probably take a look at the Samsung's next week. I would request you to look at all your options on one day. I doubt if the Samsung HD Ready models can come close to the Panny PV8H going by all the online reviews.
Try and get them to play cable/satellite TV when you are auditioning them. Strangely enough every shop has a standard excuse of Tata Sky not working or cable connection yet to arrive.
By default they will be playing content from the HD generator. Insist that they play your DVDs.
I think it might be a good idea to wait till Diwali to buy. Thats what I plan to do atleast :)

Well i have samsung q9 series plasma got it last year, for a good price, that time all panny models were atleast 10 to 15 k expensive than samsung, dunno abuot the latest samsung series, but if ur getting the pana for the same cost, around 65k, then it should be a good option, just check out the specs for both and audition them using regulart TS or cable connection

Hey flared, i am not really finding many reviews of the PV8H anywhere, can you link a few on this thread? The Samsung 410's comparable set in the US has got 5 stars on amazon, with 20 reviews. Can't find a PV8H comparable Panny with enough reviews.

Also the 410 is 7k cheaper. Diwali I don't think I'll wait till then, I am buying from someone I know and I'm getting pretty decent prices. No point waiting a couple of months to save a couple of thousand rupees.

Good tip about auditioning all TVs on the same day. I am planning to do that. Anyone here have any idea where I can audition the Pannys in Chennai?

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

Among the Plasma's, I have only seen PV8H (& PV70) so far and I liked it. I would probably take a look at the Samsung's next week. I would request you to look at all your options on one day. I doubt if the Samsung HD Ready models can come close to the Panny PV8H going by all the online reviews.
Try and get them to play cable/satellite TV when you are auditioning them. Strangely enough every shop has a standard excuse of Tata Sky not working or cable connection yet to arrive.
By default they will be playing content from the HD generator. Insist that they play your DVDs.
I think it might be a good idea to wait till Diwali to buy. Thats what I plan to do atleast :)

Okay, I'm slightly changing the question. Is there a better 42 inch flat panel TV than the Samsung 410 for under 60k ? I've thought about this a lot and realised that I cannot and will not spend more than 60k, considering i started with a budget of 45k. So......Anything to rival the Sammy at this size and price??

Hi,
In my opinion Pioneer and Panasonic are making best plasma panels. And rest of the manufacturers are below these two brands in Plasma.
I own Panasonic PV-70 plasma panel which is a great TV and will beat many better spec'd LCD panels. This PV-70 has been reviewed very favourably by many magazines. In my opinion if 42PV8 is equivalent of PV80H or PX80U (as mentioned by other forum member) than it should be slightly better than PV-70 because i have compared both PV-70 and PV-80 together playing same vedio input side by side. Also PV-80 will have a HD CARD slot if i am not mistaken. This slight difference was noticeable while playing vedeo from High definition Hard drive. This difference may not be so apparent while watching TATA SKY TV or normal DVD's.
I bought PV-70 because of price difference.
But i doubt you will get 42PV8 (if it is same as PV80H) at 65K or below. Therefore I doubt 42PV8 is same as PV80H which is very very good.
So please do some more research on web or ask Panasonic dealer if 42PV8 and PV80H are same or not. Otherwise you can go for PV-70 also and I am sure you will not repent. In either case none of them including samsung IS NOT FULL HD.. If buying plasma just don't think of samsung and in my opinion panasonic is the best bet.

I auditioned the Samsungs and I liked the picture. The Panasonic store didn't have either the PV8 or the PV80 in stock. They only had the PV7 and the PV70 in stock. Playing the same DVD on these Panas didn't produce a discernibly superior picture from the Samsungs, and the price for the Panny plasmas begins at 65k.

Btw, New lower price quotes have been got -

the Samsung 410 - 56,000
the Samsung 450 - 61,000

Now, does it make any sense at all, to pay 9,000 bucks extra to get a Panasonic???

Make sure you played both Pana's and samsung using HDMI inputs.
Also the quality of DVD player makes a lot of difference.
Unless there is a side by side comparison using same inputs and same DVD players and cables it is difficult to make a fair judgement. From my experience and from reviews and other discussions I feel in plasma Pana's are way ahead.
BUT ultimately it is you who is going to use and your liking is what matters most, let anybody say anything.
I bought Pana PV-70 on recommendation of my dealer friend here who sells all brands. He told me that PV-70 will beat many much costlier Sony and Samsung LCD panels with much better specs. He would not give this type of advice to every one else because he has to sell all his brands.
Even after his recommendation I saw for myself and compared before buying. PV-70 and PV-80 are really very very good. Try to read more about these from various magazines and websites before u buy. i am sure Samsung is also good specially in LCD's

Hey SKR, thanks for your detailed and painstaking reply. Even if the Pannys are decidedly better (which like you said I can't ascertain without a side by side comparison), I am not sure it is worth 9k extra. At 56k, it doesn't feel like too much of a leap from my original budget of 45k, but 65k would be quite a leap!!!

I'm reading everything I possibly can. I don't think I can realistically do a same-source comparison for both the Pannys and the Samsungs, but I am thinking even if I discover that the Pannys are better, I don't know if I'd have the stomach to pay 9,000 bucks more!!!

okay ladies, i am going for the Samsung 410.....for 55,500 ......financed of course.....now please all join together and tell me what a good thing i did :)

Thank you flared. If you want good prices on whatever TV you are buying, I can take you to my dealer. He promises best prices in Chennai. The TV is being delivered only tomorrow. I shall then take pictures and send.

Congrats, on your new purchase will be great if u can pen down a review of the same once setup, as it will help the other new buyers in making a buying decision, welcome to the samsung club of owners ... :)

Its a decent TV for SD content and a brilliant TV for HD content. I managed to compare it side by side with a PV70 the other day. With SD content, the panasonic was better no doubt as the scaler in the samsung seemed to have issues and there was blur. However with HD content, it was a no contest. The samsung was way way better. The contrast levels were higher, much more detail and the colors had higher saturation (good or bad based upon your tastes). All the comparisons were done after making sure that the TVs are setup to appear their best. Thanks to croma, I even managed to calibrate them with my Spyder before testing.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone (especially someone serious enough to own a Spyder and go and actually use it in a showroom) say that the Samsung shows better pictures than the Panny (even if it is for HD, and at the expense of SD). It makes me very happy of course :).

With settings calibrated I got a decent SD image on the Samsung I tested at the showroom, but I couldn't compare it to SD on the Panny, as the panasonic showroom only had the DVD player hooked up to it.

Thats really a nice surprise. First time that i'm hearing it too.
Isn't it strange that 410 has a higher contrast ratio than the higher priced 450?

PS42A410C1 - Contrast Ratio : 100,000:1
PS42A450P1 - Contrast Ratio : 30,000:1

TH42PV70 - Contrast Ratio : 10,000 : 1
TH42PV80 - Contrast Ratio : 1,000,000 : 1

Reign of Chaos: Which Panasonic did you test?

There's some mistake there.....1,00,000 is the 410's "dynamic" contrast ratio, whereas the comparable figure for the 450 is 10,00,000. I think native contrast ratio is 15k and 30k respectively.....or something like that. And that anyway beats any LCD hollow......since native contrast ratios for the best consumer LCDs are in the range of 3k or so.....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back