Best CDR for Audio CD backup?

madbullram

Guys,
Just wanted to know what you guys are using for backing up the original audio CDs. I always used to make a copy of the original and store the original safe. i know I can make a flac backup, I have started that, but I dont want to play the original CD and screw it.

I always used TDK gold CDs 3-4 years back. Now, when I tried shopping, all you get is Sony or Moser and both dont inspire confidence for me. I did come across Kodak gold which is used by studios for making digital copies so bought them at 10 for 200 rs.

So whats the best you guys have come across or buy these days and what the price?

Thanks guys. Will try to see if I get them here, how much do they cost? Is TDK closed down?

audio: ofcourse, wish I can at 1X :)

Hi,

I was using Imation 250 CD pack bought from Dubai by my sister's husband, and now has been using TDK which is again bought from Dubai. I find the quality of the TDK to be good.

Cheers!

I constantly use Verbatim AZO CD-Rs and am very happy. Try to burn at 4x or less if you are allowed.

Where do you live in india audio_engr?
I am from Mumbai and i have tried everywhere but can not get Verbatime CD or DVD's

Hai MBR,

You can get Vertabim as well as TDK CD-Rs at Ritchie street. I used to buy them from a shop, near Shah Electronics( Maxine Dealers) , along the same row. It is a small shop they deal only with media products( DVDs,CDs , Pen drive etc.). I use Verbatim CD-R for Audio purpose. They cost about Rs.90/- for 10s pack. I dont know the TDK Pricing, must be about the same.

N.Murali.

I use CD-R occasionally after I got D2X.
I have used writex,Samsung,Moserb,sprint CD-R without any problem.
For other format burning on DVD-Sony, Moser,even National without any problem.

Moser Baer is OEM for many of the big names, if you buy any of the big name brand CDRs you may probably be purchasing MB as they are a oem supplier to all big names. I don't know if people are being prejudiced against Indian brands. They are certainly not deficient in quality.
Try the MB gold CDs. I've one CD burnt at 4xspeed with *excellent* results!!

Cheers

Gobble - u are quite right when u say Moser Baer is OEM. Its simply bcoz the MB plant doesnt have enough orders for full production so they lease out a couple of production lines to OEM who get their stuff done there like Verbatim/Mitsubishi Chemical Corp in Delhi NCR. There's nothing wrong with MB Gold but the sound tends to be NOT warm. AZO has shown consistent results & now a standard CDR at Abbey Road Studios where I saw them using it all over the place. Upon questioning the Studio engineers & Mastering engineers, they all claimed they are indeed happy with AZO CDRs.

I haven't heard SQ of AZO so can't comment on that. But becoming OEM and being part of "preferred vendor" list to ALL global brands involves strategy not operational ad-hoc decisions like you put it. And the strategy begins with achieving technological and manufacturing quality with an investment in crores in R&D, personnel and research.

So I believe the reasons for choosing another foreign brand * at a cost penalty* would be purely subjective as almost everything in Audio.

Regards

I recently discovered Mitsui Gold archival quality cdrs. Far superior to the sony I was using earlier. The copy sounds as good as the original.
Amazon.com: MAM-A Gold Archive - 25 x CD-R 650 MB ( 74min ) 52x - jewel case - storage media: Electronics

i agree about the above .. these can be bought from 2oth north. I burned a couple of albums of which i had Sony CD-R copies and found thesee great.

If you can get it the black Vinyl finished Verbatim Azo CDRs are also nice but the above are much better

Gobble: I have a personal bad experience with MB. The MB CDs I had replicated one year back are not playing that well, whereas my TDK gold plays flawlessly even today.

Now just bcos MB is an OEM doesn't mean they have to have the best quality right? I mean isnt it possible they meet more stricter standards or something of Verb which makes the CDs they make for Verb better their own Gold series?

I am just curious. Also, from what Murali says, Verb is available for 90rs for 10 which is the same for MB Gold, isnt it?

Moser Baer has lost it's fame off late both in CD and DVD areas,

Another cheap and reliable CD's are from FRONTECH ............... was using them extensively about 6-7 yrs back. So not sure wether available now.

cheers.

Madbull

There are rumors of fakes in the market with MB. Not sure how accurate they are. I'm not saying they beat everyone else. There is always the 1% or whatever probability of failure rate everyone has to account for. I certainly had not a single problem with 70+ CDs that I have purchased till date including 2 dozen gold CDs.

If others are available at same or less price it makes sense to go for it. I was only talking about preferring others at higher cost blindly.

I will sure try the AZOs and the MAM if I can get my hands on them.

Do remember to check the manuf. details in the CD writer application when you burn each foreign brand just for knowledge sake.

Heres a good article on true measure of quality CD Media World - CD-R Quality

Cheers

Now, the next question. Do you guys still use the Jewel case or CD Books? I am still not convinced with book path as I prefer nothing touching the CD layer, I am thinking of slim cases so can save space

MBR: Jewel cases are the best IMHO. I have got several cd's scratched using cd books :mad:. Slim cases are good (saves space).

Are TDK cd-R's available at your place??

Last edited:
Jewel cases seem to cost 1 rupee more than the CD. CD with case costs rs.20/- whereas in 10 spindle pack it costs 9/-.

I found Neo CD case of ring binder type - allows me to use punch holes to slip in the CD sleeve with artiste details along with CD. Rs. 450/- for a long book that holds 48 CDs. A real space saver and much better sophisticated European style finish than the cheap breakable plastic covers!!

If I really like something I will back it up on HDD and burn a fresh CD when the old gets scratched. That way I can build a compact collection scrapping all the tracks I dont enjoy. Thats my idea - in favor of books.

Regards

If I really like something I will back it up on HDD and burn a fresh CD when the old gets scratched. That way I can build a compact collection scrapping all the tracks I dont enjoy. Thats my idea - in favor of books.

Regards

Will there be a change in quality if we burn it on a Cd-R?? (Sorry if this question sounds stupid, I have never tried this)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back