Best DVD player with Upscaling

Yesterday i formatted my 3 year old 40 gb portable 2.5" hdd into fat 32, made a single partition and connected it to my dv388 & it worked...

all the movies i have dumped on the portable hdd are playing. This means that lg dv388 can play movies of smaller portable 2.5" hdd, but not higher capacity ones ...

External powered portable hdd also works fine with the player

Yes, if you enable HDMI output then sound is muted through coaxial.

I am thinking of buying philips 5986, but this is scary. Does this mean, if I connect this dvd player using HDMI cable, i cannot listen the audio through my receiver? That would be bad. I already have a Onkyo 3105 receiver and I am planning to buy a LCD tv in near future.

Please advice.

thanks,

Krishnan

I am thinking of buying philips 5986, but this is scary. Does this mean, if I connect this dvd player using HDMI cable, i cannot listen the audio through my receiver? That would be bad. I already have a Onkyo 3105 receiver and I am planning to buy a LCD tv in near future.

Krishnan, I am little uncertain as to your question. You can connect the DVD Player to the AVR using more than one cable. But at any one time you can use the sound or the video of just one cable.

For example if you are using component video, at the same time, you can use a digital coaxial or a optical cable to transfer the audio.

When you use a HDMI cable, it carries both audio and video, and you will certainly be able to hear the audio.

The setting of which connection you have to use at a certain time is decided by you on the DVD player and the AVR.

Eunmagic, am I right?

Cheers

Krishnan, I am little uncertain as to your question. You can connect the DVD Player to the AVR using more than one cable. But at any one time you can use the sound or the video of just one cable.

For example if you are using component video, at the same time, you can use a digital coaxial or a optical cable to transfer the audio.

What if I want to use HDMI (i suppose its better quality compared to component video especially on a LCD TV....correct me if I am wrong) for video and coaxial for audio so that I can enjoy the DVD sound in through my AV reciever speakers.

When you use a HDMI cable, it carries both audio and video, and you will certainly be able to hear the audio.

Yes, I can hear the sound, but the sound will come from the basic TV speakers.

The setting of which connection you have to use at a certain time is decided by you on the DVD player and the AVR.

Eunmagic, am I right?

Cheers

Basically I want to enjoy the sound through my AV reciever as well as the video on my LCD TV (future plans) using HDMI cable. I guess I should be connecting the HDMI from DVD player to TV (LCD ... in future). Hope I am clear? Ofcourse currently I can use component video cable.

Thanks Venkat.

Krishnan

What if I want to use HDMI (i suppose its better quality compared to component video especially on a LCD TV....correct me if I am wrong) for video and coaxial for audio so that I can enjoy the DVD sound in through my AV reciever speakers.

Yes, I can hear the sound, but the sound will come from the basic TV speakers.

Basically I want to enjoy the sound through my AV reciever as well as the video on my LCD TV (future plans) using HDMI cable. I guess I should be connecting the HDMI from DVD player to TV (LCD ... in future). Hope I am clear? Ofcourse currently I can use component video cable.

Thanks Venkat.

Krishnan

Hi Krishnan,

You will need to use HDMI cable from DVD player to TV or else upscaling will not be done to 1080p which is what your TV will support if Full HD (I am assuming this is so). Using Componenent cable will not upscale to 1080p. Also you can use coaxial cable from DVD player to your AVR if it does not have HDMI input in the AVR. I too have a Philips DVD player and there is an option to mute HDMI audio in the audio settings page. This is what I have done since my AVR does not have HDMI input.

Hi Krishnan,

You will need to use HDMI cable from DVD player to TV or else upscaling will not be done to 1080p which is what your TV will support if Full HD (I am assuming this is so). Using Componenent cable will not upscale to 1080p. Also you can use coaxial cable from DVD player to your AVR if it does not have HDMI input in the AVR. I too have a Philips DVD player and there is an option to mute HDMI audio in the audio settings page. This is what I have done since my AVR does not have HDMI input.

Thanks for the response Moserw! So, you mean to say that I can connect HDMI from DVD player to TV and also coaxial cable from DVD player to receiver. Upon muting HDMI audio, the audio can be heard on receiver? Am I correct?

Thanks,

Krishnan

Thanks for the response Moserw! So, you mean to say that I can connect HDMI from DVD player to TV and also coaxial cable from DVD player to receiver. Upon muting HDMI audio, the audio can be heard on receiver? Am I correct?

Thanks,

Krishnan

Absolutely. I am doing the same too. My AVR in fact does not even have HDMI input option so use the coaxial for audio from DVD to AVR and HDMI/Component Video from the couple of DVD players I have to the TV.

Thanks,

Krishnan

You are going in the right direction here . Ok here is another trick , what many people do is instead of muting their tv speakers , they use it as additional speakers . Obviously your tv should have decent speakers for that. Otherwise the entire sound stage created by your avr will go for a toss.For example I have to bring my tv volumme to zero as my lcd tv speakers suck big time :( ! But when I tried doing the same with my 29" crt it worked great . In fact I used the additional TV speakers as additional center speakers just for dialogues which made the dialogues more audible without creating any echo or anything. You should try it out !

You are going in the right direction here . Ok here is another trick , what many people do is instead of muting their tv speakers , they use it as additional speakers . Obviously your tv should have decent speakers for that. Otherwise the entire sound stage created by your avr will go for a toss.For example I have to bring my tv volumme to zero as my lcd tv speakers suck big time :( ! But when I tried doing the same with my 29" crt it worked great . In fact I used the additional TV speakers as additional center speakers just for dialogues which made the dialogues more audible without creating any echo or anything. You should try it out !

Hi illusion,

Just for my info. How are you doing this? I can either output audio via the AVR or the TV, but cannot output to both at the same time? Are you using two sets of cables or do you have some option enabled for the same?

Hi illusion,

Just for my info. How are you doing this? I can either output audio via the AVR or the TV, but cannot output to both at the same time? Are you using two sets of cables or do you have some option enabled for the same?

BUahahahahahahahah (Devilish Laughter :D )

Existing Setup :-

LG HDMI connected directly to TV
LG coaxial connected to AVR

LG can transmit audio signal both through HDMI and coaxial simultaneously.
TADAAAA - we have audio both through TV speakers and the AVR ...... FullToosh Enjoy Maari !!

BUahahahahahahahah (Devilish Laughter :D )

Existing Setup :-

LG HDMI connected directly to TV
LG coaxial connected to AVR

LG can transmit audio signal both through HDMI and coaxial simultaneously.
TADAAAA - we have audio both through TV speakers and the AVR ...... FullToosh Enjoy Maari !!

Thanks buddy. Need to check it out on my Philips and see if it works. I am at present only using coaxial to AVR and Component Video to TV. HDMI I have put for another AVR with HDMI inputs...

Eunmagic, am I right?

Cheers
Correctly said Venkat! only draw back is on enabling audio thro' HDMI the coaxial output gets muted.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back