Best DVD player with Upscaling

OT: I saw an ad of panasonic viera which claimed a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 . Is that a gimick of any sort from panasonic ??

I don't know about panasonic, but when I was buying Samsung series 5 which as per data sheet is 30000:1 dyanamic contrast ratio. But when I received the LCD I saw 40000:1 on its box and also in the manual. May be certain technical features company change without any notice and the same has not been updated in their company website.

Last edited:
That would be for a PLasma. It's not a gimmick by itself, but Dynamic Contrast Ratio as a concept is a gimmick....somewhat like PMPO......

OT: I saw an ad of panasonic viera which claimed a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 . Is that a gimick of any sort from panasonic ??

yeah sharpness controls are usually a bitch.....i have the sharpness on my Samsung plasma set to zero! that seems to give me the picture i like best...maybe i am overdoing it a bit.....

In fact, I noticed that the picture was too sharp (by default the player has sharpness set to 7). So, after reducing to considerable level, I was able to attain excellent picture quality.

I have Samsung series 5 46" LCD, I already have a philips dvd 727k player hooked to LCD via component output. Recently, my cousin hooked his PS3 via HDMI and we set the upscaling to "full". We had copied the same clip from the documentary "Planet Earth" and put movie on still.

I changed the source of the LCD from HDMI to component and back, we found the image quality is much more sharper giving details in the background and contrast also improved via HDMI with upscaling.

Iam now looking for a decent DVD player that does good upscaling. I found many players in this forum like Philips DVP5996, Samsung DVD-1080PK, Pioneer DV-610AV, Sony (don't remember the model no.) etc

I would like to give your suggestions for choosing a decent player since my budget is around 5k.

Iam also planning to buy the Popcorn Hour A-110 since I have HD movies in my pc. This is the reason for my less budget towards DVD player.

Kindly advise...

Hi,

Dear you can check cambridge audio dvd 99 its value for money and very good for upscaling but dear that will cost you near 16k .

I don't know about panasonic, but when I was buying Samsung series 5 which as per data sheet is 30000:1 dyanamic contrast ratio. But when I received the LCD I saw 40000:1 on its box and also in the manual. May be certain technical features company change without any notice and the same has not been updated in their company website.

Hi,

Dear about panasonic claming 1,000,000:1 is dynamic contrast where as native is 15,000:1 . One thing about panasonic which i like is service backup and it has 100,000 hours long life panel other best part there panel are made in japan.

Hi,

Dear about panasonic claming 1,000,000:1 is dynamic contrast where as native is 15,000:1 . One thing about panasonic which i like is service backup and it has 100,000 hours long life panel other best part there panel are made in japan.

Thanks for info, when I was shortlisting LCD panny was there in my list but was not available in the screen size of 46" LCD in India. After so many discussions in our forum the senior members have helped choose Samsung.

In fact, I was planning to buy Panasonic TH50PZ85U but again the model was not available in India and through ebay it costed including shipping & customs around 1.8 Lakhs (exceeding my budget). Finally settled with LCD over Plasma considering my room lighting conditions.

Hi,

Well I believe Samsung Series 5 has a dynamic contrast ratio of 50,000:1 . What is its native ratio ?

What do you guys think about the Oppo 981H dvd player. It has the Faroudja chipset & a decent MPEG decoder.

I am planning to buy this player but have doubts about its macroblocking issue with DLP projectors. I have an Optoma HD65 projector.
Does anyone has this combination already?
If yes, then are you facing any problems with this setup?

Also I have an Onkyo AVR, without HDMI. So I need to setup audio through optical/coaxial into AVR & video direct to pj through hdmi. would hdmi connection on Oppo mute my coaxial??
help needed.

Well if you have the budget go for the same, you can also look at similar Denon and Pioneer models ...

Hi
I recently bought a Oppo981HD and have connected it to my Samsung 5 series 46" through my Onkyo AVR. The upscaling is birlliant and the picture is very life-like. The sound is good too for both 2.1 channel and 5.1. I don't have any macro-blocking issues. Oppo does not reccomend this player for rear projection TVs. Regarding the connection, I have connected both a HDMI and a Co-axial between the Onkyo and Oppo and a HDMI out to the TV from AVR. I have the option of choosing to pass the sound thru Co-axial or HDMI. There is no muting issue with this set-up. I have a different issue which I will post elsewhere. Don't want to dilute this topic.

Anands thats great news ! I actually went to the distributer in delhi to have a demo. It looks good. But what I have in mind is that I only have a 720p native res Optoma HD65 projector. I have heard that it wont show me the real difference between Oppo & other players like Sony & philips at 720p. People suggested that I go with Sony DVP-NS708 if I want only 720p, as its a good upscaling model at a much cheaper price. But I want to know the opinion of you guys here. What do you think?

The players posted in the link i gave you are the best upscaling players you will get in a 5k budget,

If you are willing to stretch and go above 10 k, then u can go for higher end models...
with the current budget you can go for any of the below players -

1. samsung 1080pk
2. phillips 5986
3. LG 388
4. Pioneer DV 610
5. Sony DVP-NS708HP

i am somen
kolkata ,i want to buy hdmi dvd player i pay 12k,
kd give some modekl number,i used it sony s32"s4ooa lcd with onkyo hts 3105 , kolkata have grey market.also big hi fi shop ,
thank you

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back