Best DVD player with Upscaling

People suggested that I go with Sony DVP-NS708 if I want only 720p, as its a good upscaling model at a much cheaper price. But I want to know the opinion of you guys here. What do you think?

Even at 720p, the Oppo will scale better than most of these models including the Pioneer 610. The Oppo 981 got 96/100 in the DVD Benchmark and failed in just two aspects:

• Recovery Time
  • Sync Subtitle to Frames

If you can afford it, the Oppo is a good buy. I think the general consensus in this forum is Oppo (any model), CA, Pioneer 610, Samsung 1080P, Philips, Sony in that order.

Cheers

dear
in kolkata ,oppo are no getting .no hi fi shop sells oppo ,also one thing i have 12k, in kolkata grey market not sell oppo,if any problem in dvd ,then send to delhi or mumbai to service ,if i buy in kolkata by officile oppo persons ,if problem they do somthing,if you know in shop sells oppo give me the cell no they i buy from them ,sony service center .in kolkata ,in case pioneer its cost 6000/-[610] its requard service then cost less due to low cost buying
what you said ,oppo shop in kolkata,or not
thankyou
somen

what you said ,oppo shop in kolkata,or not
thankyou somen 09836302424

Somen:

I am not sure whether Oppo has a dealer in Kolkatta yet. I know of a distributor in Mumbai and a dealer in Bangalore.

If your budget is 12K, forget about the Oppo. Go for any of the other brands. Only the Oppo 981 is available in India and it's price is 17,500.

If you looking for service support forget about the Pioneer also. Any of the other models will deliver great movies and you can be assured of local service. So limit your buying decision to Sony, Samsung, Philips, or LG.

Cheers

dear
i have sony 32"s400a lcd ,now buy next friday onkyo hts 3105in kokata onkyo shop cost approx 20500/-black colour ,+sony dvd 708 with hdmi cable free cost ,4900/-all with support ,also by bill //onkyo 5105 is cost=30,000 ,one of hi fi vision friends said 3105 is vfm,then i go 3105 ,first i think to by 5105 ,10,000 pay extra is worth or not for 5105 kindlr said
thank you
somen

Somen:

I am not sure whether Oppo has a dealer in Kolkatta yet. I know of a distributor in Mumbai and a dealer in Bangalore.

If your budget is 12K, forget about the Oppo. Go for any of the other brands. Only the Oppo 981 is available in India and it's price is 17,500.

If you looking for service support forget about the Pioneer also. Any of the other models will deliver great movies and you can be assured of local service. So limit your buying decision to Sony, Samsung, Philips, or LG.

Cheers

Who is oppo Distributor in Mumbai?

dear
i have sony 32"s400a lcd ,now buy next friday onkyo hts 3105in kokata onkyo shop cost approx 20500/-black colour ,+sony dvd 708 with hdmi cable free cost ,4900/-all with support ,also by bill //onkyo 5105 is cost=30,000 ,one of hi fi vision friends said 3105 is vfm,then i go 3105 ,first i think to by 5105 ,10,000 pay extra is worth or not for 5105 kindlr said
thank you
somen

hi,
go for 5100 or 5105 only for hdmi connectivity otherwise 3100 or 3105 are vfm

Update on Lg388

Got a portable maxtor 250gb hdd, formatted in Fat 32, connected to my player didn't work, kept reading the usb drive but didnt give any option on the screen,

Formatted my 3.5" portable (200 gb Pata ) hdd in Fat 32 and copied few movies, connected the drive to my player , it worked instantly and was fast, Rew and FF was good, movie played well with no jerks or any other issues.

My recommendations are too go for an external 3.5" hdd for playing movies of the hdd as it has external power and does not drain the port, is detected asap and works great

Even at 720p, the Oppo will scale better than most of these models including the Pioneer 610. The Oppo 981 got 96/100 in the DVD Benchmark and failed in just two aspects:

• Recovery Time
  • Sync Subtitle to Frames

If you can afford it, the Oppo is a good buy. I think the general consensus in this forum is Oppo (any model), CA, Pioneer 610, Samsung 1080P, Philips, Sony in that order.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Can you tell me the link for the tests as I want to read up on it further.

Thanks!

Update on Lg388

Got a portable maxtor 250gb hdd, formatted in Fat 32, connected to my player didn't work, kept reading the usb drive but didnt give any option on the screen,

Formatted my 3.5" portable (200 gb Pata ) hdd in Fat 32 and copied few movies, connected the drive to my player , it worked instantly and was fast, Rew and FF was good, movie played well with no jerks or any other issues.

My recommendations are too go for an external 3.5" hdd for playing movies of the hdd as it has external power and does not drain the port, is detected asap and works great

Wowie way to go Dushie ! Why dont you fill up more than 700 files and check for yourself whether the limitation is actually there on the number of files it can read from a drive!

Wowie way to go Dushie ! Why dont you fill up more than 700 files and check for yourself whether the limitation is actually there on the number of files it can read from a drive!

I asked my friend back home in Delhi to check whether the maxtor hdd works in the 5996, he crosschecked and it worked fine in the philips which has a usb 2 port.

Conclusion -
The maxtor 250gb portable 2.5 " hdd works in the Phillips 5996 but does not work with the lg dv388.

Illusion as of now all my movies are burnt on blank dvds hence do not have so many files as of now.

Next step which i am planning to do is i had an old 20 gb portable 2.5" hdd lying at home, i will format it in fat 32 and check if it works in the lg dv 388 or not

I asked my friend back home in Delhi to check whether the maxtor hdd works in the 5996, he crosschecked and it worked fine in the philips which has a usb 2 port.

Conclusion -
The maxtor 250gb portable 2.5 " hdd works in the Phillips 5996 but does not work with the lg dv388.

Illusion as of now all my movies are burnt on blank dvds hence do not have so many files as of now.

Next step which i am planning to do is i had an old 20 gb portable 2.5" hdd lying at home, i will format it in fat 32 and check if it works in the lg dv 388 or not

Did u try formatting the maxtor with Swiss knife ?

I'm not sure about LG but Philips 5996 has a restriction of 648 files and Oppo 980H has a restriction of 700 files. This seems to be hardware related so a firmware upgrade in future is unikely to fix it.

Did u try formatting the maxtor with Swiss knife ?

Yes, i formatted the maxtor with swissknife, it did not work, another interesting point was that once partitioned and formatted with swissknife, the disk did not show in vista, but showed in xp and worked fine in xp.

So i formatted it again using HP usb fat 32 software, which i found to be good and the disk was recognised in vista.

i found swissknife to be good for creating Fat 32 partitions, and then u can format the same using partition magic or any other software.

i have formatted my old 2.5" , 40 gb hdd into fat 32, it has two partitions will check tonight if they work or not.

Phillips 5996 recognized both the fat 32 partition on the 250 gb maxtor portable hdd, and could show data files on both partitions, which i felt is really good,

I'm not sure about LG but Philips 5996 has a restriction of 648 files and Oppo 980H has a restriction of 700 files. This seems to be hardware related so a firmware upgrade in future is unikely to fix it.

Lg too has a restriction. I think it is limited to 650 files per drive.

Any idea about Pioneer 610AV?
This essentially rules out using these DVD players as Media servers for now.

Any idea about Pioneer 610AV?
This essentially rules out using these DVD players as Media servers for now.

Media Servers ? I think we need a Wifi or atleast a lan port for any dvd player to qualify as a media server !!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back