Best glue/cement for repairing torn woofer

tek

Hello,

After trying to find someone to repair my Dynaudios with no luck, I am thinking of using rubber glue/cement to patch things up until I can find a replacement part.

Has anyone successfully used this technique, and if so are there any products you can recommend that I can get easily in India?

Thanks!
Tek

Go to Lamington Road. There are shops that repair and recone speaker drivers. Best not to try at home. You'll probably end up depositing a blob of glue which can change the characteristics of the cone itself. Since you're referring to glue I'm assuming it's something to do with the cones.

@jls001 yeah the rubber material is coming apart from the surround ring of the woofer. I don't want to get the part replaced with a different brand one as it will alter the sound, I am probably going to order a replacement woofer but it will take a few months to get to me. I thought in the meantime I could use rubber cement to patch things up. However, if you have recommendations for any good guys at Lamington Rd I can def check it out as it's close by for me.

Hi

Lamington Road has good repairers who will try to fix the original cone and woofer ring......

Some good glue to try at home if you wish....

Fevi Kwik or Araldite ........works well.......if you want to stick the woofer rubber ring to the cone.....

If the rubber surround ring is damaged....then replacement rings are available at Lamington road which will be fixed on the original cone......

I purchased surround replacement kit from simplyspeakers.com for my Infinity speakers and replaced both the surrounds. The speakers have been singing to glory since then...touch wood.
it comes with the replacement surrounds and glue.
The surround replacement is quite straight forward, the only thing you need to take care is that the voice coil does not rub against the magnet.

All you need is patience and bit steady hand.

Rest there are numerous videos on youtube to see how it is done.

You can also check out madisound and partsexpress.

Ofcourse if you are not confident, get the kit and go to a pro.

I just saw that simplyspeakers have a couple of dynaudio kits.

Their quality is top class.

Good luck

Fevi Kwik or Araldite ........works well.......if you want to stick the woofer rubber ring to the cone.....

This is the last thing one should use to stick.

Well....Fevi Kwik worked for me and the cone with rubber surround has no challenges......

Well....Fevi Kwik worked for me and the cone with rubber surround has no challenges......

With stuff like fevi kwik the problem is instant sticking which makes it impossible to make position corrections when you are changing the complete surrounds.
Also fewi kwik like resins have acidic character, and harden by evaporation and drying instantly. This can sometime harm the material and the glued section could feel hard.

With stuff like fevi kwik the problem is instant sticking which makes it impossible to make position corrections when you are changing the complete surrounds.
Also fewi kwik like resins have acidic character, and harden by evaporation and drying instantly. This can sometime harm the material and the glued section could feel hard.

I have tried various solutions for various objects and know most of them are instant sticking types...some are acidic which eat the material.......what i found nice with the Fevi Kwik (red small tube of Rs 10) was that there was atleast 1-2 mins of time left to position something correctly if not placed properly initially....that too under a ceiling fan....if you try sticking with no fan or ac on...you have more time...it also depends on how much solution to apply....

Fevikwik is a Big NO. Share pictures, I can help if tear is not large. I repaired a couple of drivers and they match in TSP with their sibling. Simple tricks and you will have all the supplies in home.

However if it’s a huge excursion woofer with large rubber surround then it may not work. But it’s harmless to try anyway.
I have used fevibond(rubber solution) to repair small tear in butyl rubber surround in circa 1989 Philips woofer. In the same woofer I had used fevicol to repair about 1 inch tear in paper cone. That was 15 years back and no issues. it depends on the damage size and type of material of cone/surround to decide the material to be used for repair.

Below is a picture of the tear in question that I wanted to use the rubber cement to repair...

image1-3_zpswhv750eb.jpeg

I have purchased this glue, hopefully it will do the trick?
https://www.amazon.in/designers-den...e=UTF8&qid=1533638630&sr=1-1&keywords=polyfix

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong glue.

That's a "plastic" glue that will set hard and rigid as plastic.

The torn part is a pliant rubber part that needs to flex. You need the yellow rubber glue usually used by cobblers to glue soles. I think Fevikwik has rubber glue.

Don't use the one you've ordered.

Below is a picture of the tear in question that I wanted to use the rubber cement to repair...

These rings are available at Lamington Road....disconnect the driver and take it there...they will show you the available rings and choose the one which is the closest match.....they will do the fixing in front of you.....better go after 11am so you can wait and get this work done....only the ring will be removed, cone and coil etc will be untouched....

Unfortunately it's not as simple as finding a physically matching rubber surround. It won't match the original and therefore will sound different (unless it's designed specifically for this specific driver). The real solution is to get replacement surround kit from the OEM, or a new driver from the OEM.

These rings are available at Lamington Road....disconnect the driver and take it there...they will show you the available rings and choose the one which is the closest match.....they will do the fixing in front of you.....better go after 11am so you can wait and get this work done....only the ring will be removed, cone and coil etc will be untouched....
This appears to be tear in the surround. If this is rubber surround then fevibond rubber solution is available in stationery shops. I have no suggestion for foam surround.
This is in reply to #12 of TEK

Unfortunately my knowledge/DIY skills is completely atrocious! i don't even know what "disconnect the driver" means :eek: I think I will take the speaker to Lamington and see what they say. I would rather not replace any parts, as I am planning to order original part from manufacturer but they don't deliver to India, so someone will bring it for me but not before November.

I once had my car sub damaged in an accident where a piece of metal ended up puncturing my surround.
The tear made an infernal racket during loud passages.
I ended up taking it to cycle repair shop where i asked him to apply a cycle tube patch on the surround.
It has worked fine for the past 7 years :D

Surround has started to disintegrate at the edges. Best solution is to replace the entire surround.
However one solution you can try is to get a patch of thin rubber tube and paste it over the torn section, one half of the tube pasted to the surround and the other half to the baffle.
You can use the rubber glue sold in cycle shops.
Take care to apply a very very thin layer of glue only.
First stick the baffle part and let it completely stick and dry. You should leave it overnight.
Next after half of the tube is properly stuck to the baffle, apply a thin layer on the surround and gently paste the other half of the tube over it.
Be patient, use a piece of plastic sheet to gently level out after pasting the two layers and avoid bare hands.
Also glue nch by inch and dont apply glue at one go on the entire torn area.
Also overshoot by 2 cms at both ends of the torn section.

Good luck

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back