Best glue/cement for repairing torn woofer

Thanks for all the comments and help. I will attempt to glue this soon! However this is only going to be a patch up job until I get the replacement part. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the comments and help. I will attempt to glue this soon! However this is only going to be a patch up job until I get the replacement part. Wish me luck!

First you can try with rubber solution by taking a little bit on a blunt tip of small pointed object (maybe some needle)and slowly apply on both sides of the tear without widening the tear too much. Join the ends with little pressure for some time and leave it to dry. You may even succeed for long time result. Even if you fail ,the replacement of surround option is always there. you get thrill of some DIY. all the best.

Fevibond for rubber and fevicol for paper works great. I have repaired 6 drivers. 2 of my Samsung led. 4 of JBL on beat extreme. This is minor damage as compared to mine where they was total separation. Give adequate setting time.

Wrong glue.

That's a "plastic" glue that will set hard and rigid as plastic.

The torn part is a pliant rubber part that needs to flex. You need the yellow rubber glue usually used by cobblers to glue soles. I think Fevikwik has rubber glue.

Don't use the one you've ordered.
Luckily I re-read your message before applying the glue! I ordered the Fevibond rubber glue instead, will give that a shot and report results!

Edit:
So I went ahead and applied the Fevibond solution. While applying, at first a lot more solution came out from the tube so the application ended up being quite thick (like I said, I am terrible at this stuff). However, I let it dry for a few hours, and applied once more and left to dry overnight. Plugged it in today morning and tested it out, so far so good! No more crackling noises, and the bond seems to be holding for now. Will require some more testing, but it's a good sign so far. However, while checking I noticed my other speaker to is starting to tear at the exact same place, so will probably end up applying the bond to the other speaker as well. At this point it doesn't make sense to order the replacement parts. Initially just one speaker replacement part was ok, but now two will become too costly and not worth it. Will be almost as much as what I paid for the speakers in the first place. So will live with the bonded fix for as long as it lasts, and once it gives way will look for a new speaker replacement. Will start saving up now itself!

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends we are taking about the wrong approach over here. The adhesives discussed over here are not appropriate for this purpose.

The correct solution to this problem is to use a rubber toughened adhesives such as Loctite 480 & Loctite primer 770.
Apply the Locite primer 770 with a thin brush on the both edge of the torn rubber edge area & let it dry for a minute. Now run a small bead of Loctite 480 on one side of the torn edge of the rubber surround and press and hold on the joint for about a minute or two. Leave it for 10- 20 minutes and the job is done.

Edit:
And by the way always check for expiry date when buying Loctite products.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I went ahead and applied the Fevibond solution. While applying, at first a lot more solution came out from the tube so the application ended up being quite thick (like I said, I am terrible at this stuff). However, I let it dry for a few hours, and applied once more and left to dry overnight. Plugged it in today morning and tested it out, so far so good! No more crackling noises, and the bond seems to be holding for now. Will require some more testing, but it's a good sign so far. However, while checking I noticed my other speaker to is starting to tear at the exact same place, so will probably end up applying the bond to the other speaker as well. At this point it doesn't make sense to order the replacement parts. Initially just one speaker replacement part was ok, but now two will become too costly and not worth it. Will be almost as much as what I paid for the speakers in the first place. So will live with the bonded fix for as long as it lasts, and once it gives way will look for a new speaker replacement. Will start saving up now itself!

Thanks for all the help.
Hi, How are your speaker performing post application of Fevibond to join the rubber surrounds?

One of my speaker's rubber surround has been torn at few places. though the torn areas are smaller ones. Looks like my daughter is the culprit here.

from my experience with speakers, especially good ones, better to get the surrounds replaced with OEM replacements or equivalents.
The speaker components were purchased from GR Research. I got in touch with them. They don't have replacement surrounds, In fact they advised me to replace the speaker. But getting speaker from US in current scenario will not work out.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back