Best Headphones to buy

rammohan

Hi Gurus,
I wish to buy one Headphone within the range of Rs.3000/- in mumbai. Some one suggested Sennheiser px100, denon, koss etc. I want to use it while travelling and dont want the in ear headphone.

Thanks

rammohan,am in no way a 'guru',but here goes.of the top of my head,in ur budget,the sennheiser px100 is a great buy.do be careful of fakes.in my book the grado sr60,or even the allessandro ms1 would be a better buy.entry level,open back,but ur entering into the domain of great headphone manufacturers.do google the specs nd such,am sure u will find them absolute value for the money.true,ur budget gets awry,but whats a little extra for excellent headphones??i use a sennheiser cx400(in canal) model with my ipod since 2008,and am very happy with my choice.cheers

Sennheiser px 100 .. i own both the px100 and px200.. bought in the US.. the px100 has better bass and is very light and is bloody awesome for hours together... there's even high-quality foam in the area where it touches your hair and costs abou 35$ in US.. so it should be under 3000/- here just make sure it's original..

I own a Senn PX 100 for active duty (gym, biking etc.). I also have a Koss Porta Pro.

Both are around $35 USD and sound fantastic. If you want slightly better then the iGrado and Grado SR60 would come into consideration.

All these have a over the head band. If you want clip-ons, Koss KSC75 are on heck of a deal. They are very very cheap too but amazing VFM.

Cannot go wrong with any of these.

Hello everyone :)

I'm planning to buy a pair of headphones and would love some advice and suggestions.

I've been using a pair of Shure E2Cs (IEMs) for some time now and I love the way they sound. The only thing is, they become a bit uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time.

My basic requirements for the HPs are:

Usage: Movies (50%), music (50%). Will be used only at home.
Design: Open design. Should cover the ears (cirumaural).
Sound preference: Somewhat laid-back. I'm not a bass-head and prefer my bass to be accurate, rather than overwhelming. I mostly listen to blues and female jazz vocals. Movies-wise, I'd prefer reproduction of spatiality, detail and dialogues more than anything else.
Amp: I will be using the HPs with a BSG cMoy amp. I may get something better in the (distant) future.
Budget: Actually around 5K, but I can stretch it to 6-7K and not any more.

I'm not particular about any brand, but I do have a soft corner for Sennheiser (for some unknown reason, heh, heh). I'd initially finalised the HD485, but it looks like it is not available any more. After some more research I've (currently) finalised on the HD555. I'm open to all other suggestions, though.

I'd prefer not to buy online if the HPs have to be shipped-in from outside India. I'd actually prefer to buy them over the counter at some place in Kochi. I don't mind waiting for the item to be ordered in. One of the dealers for Sennheiser in Kochi is a guy I know, that that is another reason I was looking at the HD555s.

Are there other HPs that fit my budget and requirements?

I did go through this thread but could not post this query there as it was a very old thread.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
555 might be a good choice since you are specifically looking for both movies and music equally. I briefly listed to the 555 and hated it. But that's just me. In case you like to hear music slightly better, you might want to look at 595. I owned for a while and really liked it. Real comfy too. Also, sennheisers are plagued by their dark presentation. There is nothing wrong with it. Just flat imo. So later moved to Alessandro MS1i. Still have it and like it a lot.

Hello everyone :)

I'm planning to buy a pair of headphones and would love some advice and suggestions.

I've been using a pair of Shure E2Cs (IEMs) for some time now and I love the way they sound. The only thing is, they become a bit uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time.

My basic requirements for the HPs are:

Usage: Movies (50%), music (50%). Will be used only at home.
Design: Open design. Should cover the ears (cirumaural).
Sound preference: Somewhat laid-back. I'm not a bass-head and prefer my bass to be accurate, rather than overwhelming. I mostly listen to blues and female jazz vocals. Movies-wise, I'd prefer reproduction of spatiality, detail and dialogues more than anything else.
Amp: I will be using the HPs with a BSG cMoy amp. I may get something better in the (distant) future.
Budget: Actually around 5K, but I can stretch it to 6-7K and not any more.

I'm not particular about any brand, but I do have a soft corner for Sennheiser (for some unknown reason, heh, heh). I'd initially finalised the HD485, but it looks like it is not available any more. After some more research I've (currently) finalised on the HD555. I'm open to all other suggestions, though.

I'd prefer not to buy online if the HPs have to be shipped-in from outside India. I'd actually prefer to buy them over the counter at some place in Kochi. I don't mind waiting for the item to be ordered in. One of the dealers for Sennheiser in Kochi is a guy I know, that that is another reason I was looking at the HD555s.

Are there other HPs that fit my budget and requirements?

I did go through this thread but could not post this query there as it was a very old thread.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance :)

For that the Ad700s would be a good bet. But one good thing about Sennys is that you can buy them over the counter from hi fi links or alfa in penta menaka etc

Pl follow my thread in the other column duplicate or replica, you also see in both ebay vast diff in price. So absolutely px100 is the best but follow a original dealer and bargain with him to the most cheapest rate. Dont prefer mall. Go to the distributors or dealers if any thing happens you can bang them. The mall people will not lend their ears to you. One more things the head phones should be throughly burnt in. Klipsch image 2 or 4 also considered. Original philips she series are very comfortable in wearing with good quality and cheapest rate. It also last long than the sen px100 which should be carefully handled. Frequent closing and opening will not cover your guarantee because its so built up. I have ordered for koss porta pro whICH has good review. Iaudio rallynut and esanthosh are my gurus in this fields. They may help you better than me. I WAS MOVED BY THE COLLECTIONS OF ESANTHOSH IN HP AND ITS ACCESSORIES AND HIS OPENHEARTED REVIEWS. HATS OFF ESANTHOSH.

Thanks for the responses, guys! :)

I actually prefer the sound a bit laid back, if that is what is meant by dark presentation. I find listening to music that is forward and bright to be very fatiguing over time.

I did read the positive reviews on the Audio Technica AD700s and they do seem to fit my requirements to a T. But sourcing them is going to be a pain, unfortunately.

The Shure 440s do have a nice laid-back response, but they are closed cans. I prefer the characteristics of open cans for my use. Especially as I will be using them at home only.

I think I'll just mull over this for another couple of days and bit the bullet. I've got a quote for the HD555s from a dealer near where I stay. He doesn't have them in stock, but can get them in 3 days if I give him a firm order.

You can get the AD700s from Pristine note on ebay.in for about 8500rs. How much are the HD555s setting you back by?

^^ Wow! That's some coincidence! I just visited their eBay store a few seconds back. In fact I have their listing for the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 open on my browser right now. They have the ATH-M50s listed, not the AD700s. And anyway, 8500/- is way off my budget (which actually began with 4500/-). My absolute max is 7K.

The AD700s are available off eBay GEB for 73xx/- (incl. Shipping). And they have a discount code running that will get 1000/- or 15% off the price. That will bring it down to about 6300/-

I have a quote for 5800/- for the HD555s.

I'm confused between the two now. I'm a bit leery of eBay International (have been burnt once for about 3K) and customs issues. Not to mention warranty applicability. Now these two are the only reasons that have me in a quandary. Decisions, decisions. :(

I bit the bullet last friday and ordered the Senn HD555. The 'phones got here today afternoon. I went and collected tham as soon as the dealer called me. :)

I've been listening to them (WAV --> iPod 4th gen 20GB --> LOD --> BSG cMoy --> HD555) for about 2 hours now.

First impressions are very positive. They have the exact sound signature I wanted -- somewhat laid-back, with accurate bass. I find the bass to be quite adequate and accurate, and there's a bit of a bite to the midrange that I like.

The soundstage/feel is not as wide/spatial as I'd wanted, but maybe the 'phones will open up and the soundstage will improve with a few hours under their belt. Overall improvement in sound will definitely be a bonus to me (I already like how they sound).

The 'phones do sound better to me with the amp. I find that the midrange and bass improve quite a bit when they're amped than when I'm listening to them straight off the iPod. I know they are only 50ohms and most of the reviews on the Internet that I read say that amping them will not make too much difference. I do feel a positive difference.

I've been listening to music only so far. Will be trying out the beach invasion in Saving Private Ryan once I get back home to get a feel of the movie aspect.

I plan to break-in the phones by listening to them. I firmly believe that the listener is also getting "broken-in" with the equipment. Slow, I know. Esp. when my average listening time per day is not going to be more than 2 hours.

Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase. Thanks again for all the suggestions folks! :signthankspin:

congrats,they are indeed nice cans and they will get better with a few hrs ;).enjoy the music

Thanks, rallynut & kittu1977! :)

@kittu1977, will post pics soon, with the Beresford Caiman & just ordered :yahoo:

Thanks, rallynut & kittu1977! :)

@kittu1977, will post pics soon, with the Beresford Caiman & just ordered :yahoo:

:clapping: wow double congrats!!!!! Howmuch did Beresford Caiman cost you ?

Waiting to see both in action :rolleyes:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back