Best Media Player for playing FLAC

anirvanbhadra

Guys

I have all my music on a portable drive most of its FLAC but how do i listen to that on my system - i have an onkyo HTIB with a LG DVDp. The onkyo has a input for connecting an ipod, the DVDp has an USB but no FLAC. So i want to know whats the best source for playing these files as in a player or i get to burn all my music into CDs/DVDs? and any special connections to be made. I am a novice at this totally.

Dear Anir,
If you can spend about 6 to 8K you may go for Hardware media players like AC Ryan Mini (Rs.7,700/-), WD HD player ( Rs. 6,000/-) or may be Xtreamer (Rs.8,000/-). These players can play almost all file formats including latest vedio file formts like MKV. Also there firmware is upgradable to take care of future codec needs. These fasilities are not available with normol DVD players. Hope this helps.

in fact i was planning to get a WDTV - but how would the connections be done?

I have a WD TV, and it plays flacs perfectly.

The WD TV connects to an AVR via HDMI or Opticla digital. Both outputs are available. Or, if you want to use the built in DAC, it has stereo analog out too.

WD player can play flac,but SQ is not that good (other members has reported it)
You need DAC then as MBR said.

Cowon D2 is good one.
As 'spirovius' said, Cowon products are great in sound quality. I am using iAudio 7 (8GB). Our forum member Clearcut recently bought D2. He is very happy about the sound quality. By the way, Cowon D2 is available on stock clearance sale and the price for 4GB is Rs. 5500/-

Guys

I am also going to look at a dedicated set up for stereo amps and bookshelves for music - so are there any budget amps which have HDMI connectivity - as i plan to use the WDTV in sync with the same.

As 'spirovius' said, Cowon products are great in sound quality. I am using iAudio 7 (8GB). Our forum member Clearcut recently bought D2. He is very happy about the sound quality. By the way, Cowon D2 is available on stock clearance sale and the price for 4GB is Rs. 5500/-

Where to buy this Cowon D2?

Guys

I am also going to look at a dedicated set up for stereo amps and bookshelves for music - so are there any budget amps which have HDMI connectivity - as i plan to use the WDTV in sync with the same.

I dont think stereo amps have HDMI connectivity which is primarily for videos. The WDTV has composite outputs, (video and L,R audio) or component outputs to connect to TV.

Where to buy this Cowon D2?

You can get it directly from the Indian distributor Lipap Systems. Please visit www.cowonindia.in and check the stock clearance section. If you have any questions, you can have a live chat with Mr. Sonu Rawat of Lipap.

I bought iAudio7 from Lipap only. Usually, they ship within 2 days. If an order is placed within the working hours, they ship the same day and you can get the player the next day.

Last edited:
I dont think stereo amps have HDMI connectivity which is primarily for videos. The WDTV has composite outputs, (video and L,R audio) or component outputs to connect to TV.

So my connections will be L+R outs to the stereo amp and video to the TV straight - did i get that right.

yes what mr muthusamy said s perfectly correct. d2 has more power and more battery life. more power means more quality. easy driving of headphones. every notes are clearer. more over its versatile. it can go with any type of headphone.less sensitive or high sensitive. tone can be varied by various method. totally new concept with cheaper. downloading also cheaper. only thing is provided hp is average. thanks to Mr muthusami i am enjoying my music in power cut too.

My suggestion to get WDTV in phase 1 and get a good DAC in Phase 2 if money is constraint. The DAC will bring your flac files to life.

Does a good stereo amp suffice as a decent DAC. Would connecting a WD TV to a marantz amp do the trick??

the Hifiman HM-801 seems to have everything that you are looking for and some more....

Hifiman HM-801 vs. iPod, Zune: A sound winner? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

It's a 2 month old thread. I guess the OP could have bought something.

But HM-801 costs $790 and lists at Rs. 33,559 + VAT @ Lynx. The review does not say anything about it hissing with several headphones nor that it is not easily "portable" (heard that it weighs like a brick ;)). Also when it comes to usability, these players lag behind in terms of poor battery life, slow or buggy UI etc., Hope they could have sorted out some of the things by now with firmware updates.

A PC could be upgraded to handle music duties could be built for a bit less, I guess. But I can't stress that HM-801 would be a mess, as I've not heard them myself.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back