Best media player

the reason i went for Playon was very simple. Audio & Video formats, plus Stereo

Dolby Digital AC3 5.1
(passthrough & downmix to stereo)

Dolby Digital Plus
(passthrough)

DTS

Dolby TrueHD

AAC 7.1

FLAC

currently at this price point theres only one rival.... asus oplay mini (but without network). infact if the price which is mentioned is right then its the best buy.

all the best. maybe i could be of some help

Thanks for your reply Denzong.

For me Digital thing is important but not primary cos I don't have amplifier/avr I might just plug in to my 5.1 multimedia speakers... not sure if they will do the job. Certainly would love to hear the movies in surround sound.

For Video HDMI is important and don't know if these media players really run smooth without any laag or stutters on running heavy files. Whts your experience with this player. Please let us know your opinion about the player.
cheers!

Thanks for your reply Denzong.

For me Digital thing is important but not primary cos I don't have amplifier/avr I might just plug in to my 5.1 multimedia speakers... not sure if they will do the job. Certainly would love to hear the movies in surround sound.

For Video HDMI is important and don't know if these media players really run smooth without any laag or stutters on running heavy files. Whts your experience with this player. Please let us know your opinion about the player.
cheers!

theres absolutely no issues with the videos too

you can chill back and enjoy the experience

5.1 speakers wont work unless :

1. Speakers have digital inputs for 5.1 (Optical, Coaxial or HDMI) OR
2. BOTH speakers and media player have 6 analogue ports

Most media players would not have 6 analogue ports. Analogue is limited to stereo. And very few 5.1 speakers have digital inputs.

5.1 speakers wont work unless :

And very few 5.1 speakers have digital inputs.

Thats a real tragedy.:sad:
Thanks netfrreak. Don't know what my solution is in this situation apart from coughing up a lot of money for avr+speakers/home theater which doesn't come without a dvd player - becomes redudant with media player. Am I right in putting that?

Thats what I was considering but the issue is to find a DVD Player from samsung etc that accepts the most common Web formats. I might be wrong but only the media players seem to offer maximum compatibility with the various formats.

NETFreak are you saying BLUE RAY player also acts as a Media player... would it download torrents from wifi? would it connect my macbook ? What would be the limitation or similarity of the same comparing with lets say WDlive or FAT+ or they are different beast altogether?

On thinking straight i do think if BDc5500 is offering something like media player.. then its a good deal. Most of my movie data is in AVI/Quicktime/DVD's/Blueray torrent files etc. so if it offers to do the same why not go for something which would work for sure rather than these boxes which might need more add ons.

Please enlighten.
Thanks

NETFreak are you saying BLUE RAY player also acts as a Media player... would it download torrents from wifi? would it connect my macbook ? What would be the limitation or similarity of the same comparing with lets say WDlive or FAT+ or they are different beast altogether?

Yes most Blu ray players in this range have a "built in" media player + LAN.

So, you can store files in your macboook and share them and play it on Blu Ray player. Just like any other media player that has LAN port.

Best way to check it out is to test it at some Samsung showroom.

Don't think it will do Torrent out of box, but some players like Samsung have "Apps" so someone might have released a torrent App for Samsung TVs and Blu Ray players.

NETFreak are you saying BLUE RAY player also acts as a Media player...

What would be the limitation or similarity of the same comparing with lets say WDlive or FAT+ or they are different beast altogether?

Yes most Blu ray players in this range have a "built in" media player + LAN.

So, you can store files in your macboook and share them and play it on Blu Ray player. Just like any other media player that has LAN port.

Would this render the same PQ (will the Blu-ray upscale the signal even via LAN port?)

On thinking straight i do think if BDc5500 is offering something like media player.. then its a good deal.

Most of my movie data is in AVI/Quicktime/DVD's/Blueray torrent files etc. so if it offers to do the same why not go for something which would work for sure rather than these boxes which might need more add ons.

This is the main issue, none of the players offer full compatibility like the dedicated Media players do.

The above jugaad mentioned my netfreak (use laptop via LAN) cable is the option if we are ok with it.

Otherwise Im still considering getting a Pioneer dv220 player + WD Live combo which might come upto the same costs as a Blu-ray but not be future proof for blu ray upgrade.

This is the main issue, none of the players offer full compatibility like the dedicated Media players do.

Can you give some examples where some feature is provided by dedicated Media players and not by Blu Ray players.

Both play content stored in USB or NAS.

And suggestion for using Mac was to avoid expenditure on NAS, Media Player and Blu Ray player would work in exactly the same way in this case. I.e. file is shared over LAN and is played by player.

Can you give some examples where some feature is provided by dedicated Media players and not by Blu Ray players.

And suggestion for using Mac was to avoid expenditure on NAS, Media Player and Blu Ray player would work in exactly the same way in this case. I.e. file is shared over LAN and is played by player.

Don't get me wrong I was not dismissing your statement but just unable to find one that handles MKV2 formats etc... I thought most are only using divx, avi and the basic formats. If the inbuilt hardware can process all files that a media player do its great!

Royal wastage!

What is? Getting MP + DVD ?

Im basically in the market for a solution, but also price conscsious. Key is that we buy and buy once so spending a little more for a Blu-ray is ok as it is proved to be the future media.

Edit : Ok found this : http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/...dex.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I was not dismissing your statement but just unable to find one that handles MKV2 formats etc... I thought most are only using divx, avi and the basic formats. If the inbuilt hardware can process all files that a media player do its great!......

Edit : Ok found this : blu-ray disc player - BD-C5500 - Blu-ray Player - Blu-ray | SAMSUNG

Yes this and newer players used the same chipsets that are used in Media Players. So there should not be any difference in terms of video/audio formats.

IMHO, there are two components that are required:

1. Media player (Standalone or Built-in to BD Player)
2. NAS or some other storage to store Media files

With newer 3,500 Rs Media players another option has emerged. That is plug all HDDs to NAS. And use a NAS that has USB output.

Plug this to media player via USB, and if this media player plays all formats well, system is complete.

Otherwise, Blu Ray player is a good option.

Setting up a NAS here is problematic, Im doing this for my folks and they arent too tech inclined. Are there any running threads on this here just for me to get updateD?

Been researching the Sammy 5500 on other forums, it appears to offer decent DVD performance and region for DVD seems to be unlock-able (albeit challenging).

Re: Best media player - NAS???

This might be a stupid question but no harm in asking.
How does this NAS works? Is it hardware like USB stick or a software interface?

Please enlighten.
Thanks.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back