Best mode to listen to audio CD

hifi1975

Hi,
I have Onkyo AVR (606) and 7.1 speaker set ..Which is best mode to listen to an audio CD for that 'WoW!! ' feeling ( stereo , 5.1 etc ) ...Have heard some CD's in various mode .

Doesnt sound anything gr8 than my previous phillips 5.1 speakers ( without AVR ) that i bbought for Rs 4K.

Can someone suggest some good english / hindi / telugu music that you guys will make a difference in listening experience.

First things first,

- Adding more speakers doesnt assure a better sound, rather if ur room size isnt enuf then it could 'hurt' your ears by making music sound like ...noise.

- For music ideal is the stereo set up, cause usually in some modes like jazz, pop etc ..the sounds becomes loose. In layman terms ..these AVRs add a slight reverb/echo/acoustic effect ..which will make the sound pleasant sounding to some ears. But thats not the sound, the composer wanted you to hear.

- From what i sense, u may be sensing the sound coming from Onkyo as - damp, that compared to your Philips. Onkyo could be more bass rich (than the Philips). I suggest, that you give sometime before you get critically judgemental.

- These setups also need some run-in period (Hours of play on the system usually believed to be needed, before its components get more musical and perform at their peak performance standards).

- Lastly other ways to enhance your experience with your ONKYO will be to get some good CDs ...preferably SACD and assess how ur system performs to it. Also, you could download some audiophile test tracks or borrow CD from fellow members around in ur state.

Wishes

Hi,
I have Onkyo AVR (606) and 7.1 speaker set ..Which is best mode to listen to an audio CD for that 'WoW!! ' feeling ( stereo , 5.1 etc ) ...Have heard some CD's in various mode .

Doesnt sound anything gr8 than my previous phillips 5.1 speakers ( without AVR ) that i bbought for Rs 4K.

Can someone suggest some good english / hindi / telugu music that you guys will make a difference in listening experience.

Pls edit your profile info and mention, whr in India are u from. So other members from ur city could assist you on with CDs.

well,AVR dont sound better with CDs usually.

But I have improved a bit with HTPC(xonar D2X) as source, added Tannoy F1,Supra spk cables,MX interconnects(not gr8 though).
Doing this,SQ improved (not claiming as stereo amp), now it sounds much better,cleaner as one can enjoy.
I use both settings, 5ch OR stereo( I connected PC in both way- 5.1ana in & Tape in)

Stereo sounds little Bright & 5ch as laid back & wide.

Hi,
the best way to listen to cd in a onkyo 606 is to use the pure audio mode. It might sound a dull to begin with but that is the closet true reproduction of the recorded music you can get from an AVR. You can adjust the bass and treble according to your taste.
Thanks.

Any idea on Indian Stores preferably online stores where I can get the good collection of SACD Discs? I tried in Music world and Planet M stores..no luck.

Thanks
Satya

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this may be of use to some newbies looking for good quality music. I use these for critical headphone listening

Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Raising Sand
Manowar: Warriors of the world

Other than that, I use music that I really like.
Dark side of the moon is probably one of the best albums (that I have come across) for imaging and rendition of finer nuances/details.

Hi,
the best way to listen to cd in a onkyo 606 is to use the pure audio mode. It might sound a dull to begin with but that is the closet true reproduction of the recorded music you can get from an AVR. You can adjust the bass and treble according to your taste.
Thanks.

Pure Audio simply means that the video circuitry is disabled. It does not mean that audio is not being processed (EQed, enhanced, modified etc.). I think what you are referring is called Direct mode.

Hi Buddy,
NOTHING IN THE WORLD WILL EVER REPLACE A TWO CHANNEL AUDIO SYSYEM.
Buy decent components and set it up right.
You dont need to spend mega bucks.
A friend of mine has spent over 20 Lacs. I dont get exited when i visit him.
Another pal of mine has spent a modest $6000 (peanuts in comparision) but he has very engrossing sound.This person has "WORKED ON HIS ROOM". Its a full fledged science. The lessons will not come easy & overnite. You forget you are listening to speakers. They vanish. And that is Musical Nirvana.
Catch a good Guru, who has no commercial interest and he will see you thru.
Suresh Lalwani
5.1 is for movies. Its kid stuff and not the real thing.
The only thong out there is 2 channel reproduction.

Hi,

Pure Audio simply means that the video circuitry is disabled. It does not mean that audio is not being processed (EQed, enhanced, modified etc.). I think what you are referring is called Direct mode.

I am currently listening to streo only (CDs). Shifted from analog in to coax digital in. Does make a difference, if you have an ear for it.

I am using direct mode on my denon (yes no equalizers etc allowed). I prefer this mode over stereo mode that allows equalizers and, therefore, I guess intereferes with the audio signal.

Does anyone know if denon has a pure audio mode too? (no video circuitry being used). Please let me know.

Last edited:
I am currently listening to streo only (CDs). Shifted from analog in to coax digital in. Does make a difference, if you have an ear for it.

I am using direct mode on my denon (yes no equalizers etc allowed). I prefer this mode over stereo mode that allows equalizers and, therefore, I guess intereferes with the audio signal.

Does anyone know if denon has a pure audio mode too? (no video circuitry being used). Please let me know.

i use pure direct mode in denon1910.i sound btter to my ear other than stero mode.mainly i listen to music late night.

I fully agree with Suresh Lalwani's views. 2.1 is for the music and 5.1 for the movies.

Since common audio CDs are recorded in stereo mode (2 ch), the best way to listen to them is 2 ch with full range speakers.

Needless to say, the type of equipment (player, amp, speakers, cables etc) do matter ...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back