Best option for watching films in my set up

There are two issues here. One, if your front speakers are large and have good low frequency drivers, you may not need a sub. At the same time please do understand that the audio codecs send special data through the Point 1 that is never available to other channels.

Though many of you have been harping on the concept of using a 2.0 system for movies, I think it is as misguided as using a 7.1 system for music. The very concept of hearing from 6 or 8 independent channels that are placed properly will be completely lost. The Director and Editor have taken a lot of effort in terms of paying the sound in a way to give you the emotion and effect that they have in mind. Playing this in a 2.0 system would just vitiate all that effort.

Cheers

You may be correct.I have not given the kind of thought to home theatre as you,vinay,santhol,srisundar and many others have.My main focus is on music.I am only suggesting that someone who is more interested in music and less in films,could consider spending his budget on a stereo amp/two towers rather buying an avr+5.1,7.1+a sub woofer.In a living room it would be easier to place the first option.A stereo option also gives you the choice of better quality IC's and cables.People may or may not believe in the value of expensive cables.I believe they are essential.They are the "messenger's" without whom communication becomes a 'lossy+noisy' affair.

I would appreciate if actual user's or folks who have auditioned the Optoma HD 20 can post their opinions about the same.The good,the bad and the ugly :)
Prices,dealers in the north,maintenance issues,after sales,a good player and cables to go with it.My room is 25 feet long.Image would be projected from one end of the room to a wall/screen at the other end of the room.There is a bare wall 8 feet by 6 feet on which I would like to project the film.
::: Welcome to Optoma Asia :::

Ajay,

For watching movies i think a 5.1 is must.

In the present times to watch content via DVD, may not be a good idea, it is better to move on via media players or disc.

Indeed you have a huge collection of DVDs, of which you can watch but that should not be over 10% of your view time, 90% of your valuable time should be for the new video content which keeps screening faster then we think.

There is no doubt that a projector is the way to go forward, especially for someone like you, who understands movies better.

V

I have a strictly two channel set up.
I have a basic Yamaha DVD player.
I have a huge collection of world cinema and live western classical DVDs.
Many of these DVDs are in B/W with '50s-'60s sound and picture quality.
I am primarily interested in watching my existing DVDs.
I DO NOT require HD or Blue Ray.
Should I opt for a big sized LCD/Plasma or a Projector and Screen?

Last edited:
Ajay,

For watching movies i think a 5.1 is must.

In the present times to watch content via DVD, may not be a good idea, it is better to move on via media players or disc.

Indeed you have a huge collection of DVDs, of which you can watch but that should not be over 10% of your view time, 90% of your valuable time should be for the new video content which keeps screening faster then we think.

There is no doubt that a projector is the way to go forward, especially for someone like you, who understands movies better.

V

vinay
I have dropped the idea of buying an lcd/led.I don't watch television and for home cinema I too believe that a projector is essential.Now that I have more space in my room I will sooner or later buy a projector,screen and a more advanced dvd player.But for the audio I will retain my stereo set up.

Last edited:
Ajay,

I think by dropping the idea of buying an lcd is nothing short of you being a very lucky man and that you have decided not to bruise yourself further by watching movies via TV.

You are on a absolute right course to realize that projector is essential and the only way to go forward to truly enjoy a movie. While it is a another story as we all know that this is half the battle won, their are so many other aspects to improve the enjoyment of movie.

I need to assure you that it will be a wrong course to head for a stereo set up and to go for a advanced DVD player in present age, keeping in mind that it is already quite some time that such a player is full on with ventilator, it needs to die on priority basis. To enjoy a true cinema you need to have 5.1 and a media player or a blue disc, but with such disc, it is like investing in a useless thermocal glass factory as reasons being threaded in "Projector Issues". :)

In event if you see less movies, that will never be a valid reason to have a 2.1, the charm which a 5.1 has is mind boggling. :)

I too do not watch television, it is over a year ago that i gave up, in the process i have much more time to watch in my private mini theatre the movies and foreign high definition television serials. :yahoo:

V.

Last edited:
to go for a advanced DVD player in present age, keeping in mind that it is already quite some time that such a player is full on with ventilator, it needs to die on priority basis.

This is really a cute way of saying it. RIP, DVD. Short live Blu-Ray till Green-Ray comes along. :):)

Cheers

Big sized LCD/Plasma is more suitable for you. Less hassles & better picture with SD (DVD) source. Go for 40-50 inches size.

save him from nightmare , viewing SD content in Big lcd/plasma will be a pain for ever
ajay, just dont get carried away by the stunning demo rooms of tv/plasma
i can guarantee you the old low res content will look really bad in bigger tv.
sorry to say but for you best option is a CRT tv 21-29 . it will jive with dvdp .

Even if u go for LCD , max 26inch is best candidate.

if you can go HD/FULL HD then go for 40 inch ..also half movie half music is a myth, a smaller stereo setup will be always give better SQ if chosen wisely

kaushik
"A small stereo set up will give better sound quality"

I agree with you.Perhaps the statement could be modified to " A small stereo set up may give better sound quality for watching films in certain systems".

My current stereo system is far superior to my earlier Yamaha AVR+ Wharfedale FS+C+SUB set up for viewing films.I have absolutely no problem with the soundtrack and backgrund effects while watching films.If I wanted to go for a multi channel set up,with my present speakers being used as FS,I would need to buy an AVR+C+SS+SUB+CABLES.Too big an investment.Plus the addition of much more clutter to my room.

I feel that somebody starting fresh,and looking for a high fidelity system to watch films,should audition both stereo and multi channel systems.Audio/video solutions need to be tailor made for individual rooms and preferences.Most
'moviephiles' opt for a multichannel system,but considering the investment of time and money involved,there is no harm in also considering a stereo solution.It would certainly be better for music,and to some ears and in some rooms,it may be better for movies too.I know that this is generally not a very popular opinion,but why should a newbie not have the luxury of checking out both options before commiting himself to one?

Hi ajay.
I m using benq mp 511+ with a stereo setup for @6 yrs now.
Here are my observations-
Dvds and vcds both have 576i signal which is good for this 600*800 res projector. Provided transfer is good, read official. Hd pj should be called for only if you wish to go future proof or you getting similar pq for less than 15% premium on price.
Vcds are optimized for 2 channel and often sound better in 2 channels than many dvds.
Convenience factor is much high on tv systems. In my non-fixed setup, the pains of setting up everything in big turn off reducing my overall watching time.
Though we are used to sound from 'behind' thanks to our cars, you can hang your screen 7 feets closer to the speakers and use rear/front projection as you please. This way you face the speaker and get about 6 ft image.If it is an option, facing the speakers is indeed preferable.
Lastly, no matter what you do, a tv beats the s**t out of pj until 6:30 pm.

Apart from this, I suggest you can go for any hd ready tv if you get 50 incher for 50 k approx.
By the time we have well stocked blu ray libraries near every paan-shop, a hd 100" led with local dimming would cost less than 50k and bd players will be integrated in your rs 6500 mobile phones. Streaming will be via 3g. :p
As of now, I never felt upgrading my 'low res' pj. Nor I feel happy with 37" lcd in comparison. Never had complaints with 2 channel sound though.

Projector

Ajay,

If there is a will there is a way, in such a situation things can not get simpler then this, every one has curtains, one can draw them during the day time while watching movie via projector. There are other ways also to vanish the sunlight. On the other hand i think most of us watch movies only in the evening, as day time we are at work so fortunately there is no sunlight issue at such hours. I am having a fibre based screen from Denmark, this has a speciality that movie can be watched even with many in-direct lights. :licklips:

With 2 channel sound, i am hard wondering how it would be without surround sound and importantly the low frequencies effect (Sub Woofer). :sad:

If one visits some leading show rooms, one can take a demo with 2 speakers, and then 5.1, to hear for themselves the huge difference. Further for better results one should watch 2 full movies with 5.1, and still if they feel 2 channel is the way to go forward, then i will say Jai Ho. Our forum member Mandeep has a 5.1 & projector, please try to see one or two movies at his place so that you have a clever view about such powers. :)

However Ajay, if you still go for a lcd, then please see if the market has a display panel only, as you do not watch television.

V.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back